Psp Vs Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
psp vs. gp2x console wars ;)

gp2x has awesome mame port. Best in the portlable machines.psp mame is not even close. Also - in most games gp2x screen better fits retro-machines. And yes - it does not blur. Also Amiga, megadrive, c64, atari, and pxengine ARE better on gp2x. L and R buttons are better designed on gp2x, psp's l&r looks&behave like a crap.

and that's all when comes to pro's of gp2x.

PSP IS better hardware platform. It's faster. Had bigger screen, widecscreen - sometimes somebody would notice that red and brown colour is smudging on psp screen. PSP has better button layout (beside l/R).
Better battery life. on my gp2x i could resize video to 320x240 and set gp2x to 100mhz to conserve battery life and play it for 4 hours. Now, on PSP i can convert video to AVC 480x272 with any bitrate I want and play it for 10 hours on psp battery pack (pmp-mod avc 1.02 h subtitle mod) because it uses internal psp h264 format and can underclock to 120mhz.
That's 5 movies on one battery.

There was pro of gp2x that you do not have re-encode. From a year on most of movies on the net are in h264 format , or x264. that format is not compatible with divx/xvid and to watch it on gp2x you will have to re-encode. On psp the same, but psp plays its avc a lot better than gp2x.

DaveC said:
sehs33 said:
...the PSP has better PSX emulation (performence wise) but the compatibility of the 2X's PSX emulator is much higher.
Seriously. That is not true and to compare PSX emulation between the two is ridiculous. They are not even close. The PSX emu on PSP is a playable fullspeed with sound emu. The GP2X one is a choppy mess even with sound off. This will stay this way due to hardware architecture.

Only thing I have to add here is... PSP has in unfair advantage in terms of it's PSX emulation. The Emulator itself is a commercial development from Sony that has been hacked by the Warez community to run any game you throw at it. It has not been developed by a small team of home-brewers like PSX4GP2X has.
Yes PSP has fullspeed PSX emulation but it's not really fair to compare GP2X's effort against a commercial product...

Last edited by a moderator:
The only movie I downloaded of the net with h264 was a small clip of Zaidan's "special" attack in Italy VS France's last world cup match. Xvid still rules.
Battery life wise, you can carry half a dozen rechargable AAs more comfortably than any other 2 PSP battery packs, and they are Much cheaper.

sehs33 said:
The only movie I downloaded of the net with h264 was a small clip of Zaidan's "special" attack in Italy VS France's last world cup match. Xvid still rules.
Battery life wise, you can carry half a dozen rechargable AAs more comfortably than any other 2 PSP battery packs, and they are Much cheaper.
They aren't that much cheaper, and the psp has a built-in charger.

Hopefully there'll be a nice trend of cheap laptops in the $200 range in the foreseeable future, there's nothing more I'd need in terms of that really.

However, nubie, I think it's unfair to see the lack of direct keyboard support as one of the 2X's crucial downfalls. It's a portable handheld first, not a UMPC or a PDA. Perhaps you should look at it from a different angle.

nubie said:
My perfect hand-held?? Well, ASUS just announced a kick-ass $200 7" laptop that will apparently have some sort of Intel chipset, VGA and 3 USB built into the sides, and I think it is set to weigh very very little and have Wifi built-in. Oh yeah, it will be running Linux with some sort of MS Office compatible suite pre-installed in its 1GB flash memory, and a killer 512MB of RAM. I of course am shooting for the $300 10" version. I hope the media is CF cards, because the 4GB cards are only $35, swap an OS anyone?? (XP lite, 98 Lite, Sabayon, Ubuntu and even a Dos distro sound nice to me :D, I can have a card for every OS)

Sorry, I just need all that functionality, Who wants my PSP and GP2X, all accessories I have included? (soft cases, chargers, batteries, memsticks/cards)
That is nice and at least you can't complain about the joystick or buttons... because there *aren't any* ;)

Looks OK for a cheapo internet device, but gaming?

DaveC said:
nubie said:
My perfect hand-held?? Well, ASUS just announced a kick-ass $200 7" laptop that will apparently have some sort of Intel chipset, VGA and 3 USB built into the sides, and I think it is set to weigh very very little and have Wifi built-in. Oh yeah, it will be running Linux with some sort of MS Office compatible suite pre-installed in its 1GB flash memory, and a killer 512MB of RAM. I of course am shooting for the $300 10" version. I hope the media is CF cards, because the 4GB cards are only $35, swap an OS anyone?? (XP lite, 98 Lite, Sabayon, Ubuntu and even a Dos distro sound nice to me :D, I can have a card for every OS)

Sorry, I just need all that functionality, Who wants my PSP and GP2X, all accessories I have included? (soft cases, chargers, batteries, memsticks/cards)
That is nice and at least you can't complain about the joystick or buttons... because there *aren't any* ;)

The CPU is a a super crippled celeron if I remember correctly, it has NO L2 cache what so ever and the smallest L1 cache I have ever seen. The other ones, the african ones, have high specs :p

sam fisher said:
DaveC said:
nubie said:

The CPU is a a super crippled celeron if I remember correctly, it has NO L2 cache what so ever and the smallest L1 cache I have ever seen. The other ones, the african ones, have high specs :p

We shall see what occurs when it's released. If it can successfully view video content, browse the web, listen to media, and such things, I'll pick one up. If it can run emulators and old games(by this I mean 2D, not 3D, though 3D would be a nice bonus), I'll be VERY satisfied with the added gizmo to my collection.

nubie said:
Just to piss people off I am not reading this thread right away and just posting (hey, it is 1:30 in the morning here, and I own both systems).

They both suck, and for nearly the same reason, NO KEYBOARD. GP because of crap support, and PSP for no support.
You can use a wifi keyboard with PSP...

The PSP has a useless Metal optical drive that makes the unit very very heavy.

Very very heavy? You've got to be joking. What an exaggeration.

Screen is pure crap, blurry. Mario on the N64 has a red hat, the hat smears heavily into just about any background color, the PSP just has a cut-rate screen.

You're using an emulator that by nature isn't vsync'd.

IF
the USB debacle is ever sorted out it will have a much bigger edge, keyboard support has kept me off the console for 4+ months now, well the crappy stick and no USB joypad support has helped.

I'm not sure what you expect to be sorted exactly, but can't you do those things with the BoB/cradle? Not that that isn't an additional expense..

TV-Out, the GP wins hands-down. Unfortunately we have no access or documents on the handling of the TV-Out, so it always looks like crap, unless we happen to have a perfectly encoded Divx to play on it, right, you can get a Divx player for $43 at Wal-Mart.

Maybe you can, but why would anyone want to pay more for something when they can already do it otherwise? No one's going to buy GP2X just to play DivX's on a TV, so that's a pretty moot point...

My perfect hand-held?? Well, ASUS just announced a kick-ass $200 7" laptop that will apparently have some sort of Intel chipset, VGA and 3 USB built into the sides, and I think it is set to weigh very very little and have Wifi built-in.

I want a source, I haven't been able to find these specs ANYWHERE.

Oh yeah, it will be running Linux with some sort of MS Office compatible suite pre-installed in its 1GB flash memory, and a killer 512MB of RAM.

There's no telling that the $200 version will have 512MB of RAM.

I of course am shooting for the $300 10" version. I hope the media is CF cards, because the 4GB cards are only $35, swap an OS anyone?? (XP lite, 98 Lite, Sabayon, Ubuntu and even a Dos distro sound nice to me :D, I can have a card for every OS)

Why would anyone want to swap between most of those OSs?

Are you giving things away by any chance? :p

Exophase said:
nubie said:
My perfect hand-held?? Well, ASUS just announced a kick-ass $200 7" laptop that will apparently have some sort of Intel chipset, VGA and 3 USB built into the sides, and I think it is set to weigh very very little and have Wifi built-in.
I want a source, I haven't been able to find these specs ANYWHERE.

HERE.

[/quote]
HERE.
[/quote]

That doesn't specify Intel based chipset, VGA, 3 USB ports, etc.

Although since I found out it's jointly developed by Intel that must mean Intel CPU...

Exophase said:
Are you giving things away by any chance? :p
I asked first! Anyway, I thought you didn't like hardware ;).

That sounds excellent to me. When my $300, 128Mb RAM 700Mhz P3 breaks down, I'll be sure to pick one of these as its replacement. :)

<3 cheapness

HERE.
[/quote]

That doesn't specify Intel based chipset, VGA, 3 USB ports, etc.

Although since I found out it's jointly developed by Intel that must mean Intel CPU...
[/quote]

its called, completely over reacting the product features, common practice by sales ppl and fanboi's
and yes i did say to my mate who said, look at ur puny 200mhz cpu, i laugh at ur weak gaming system
mine overclocks to 310mhz! so hah!, but my only really does 240 tops
but anyways, the gp2x does all i want, movies, music, emulation
better then that asus "laptop", with no joystick ~~
dont want keyboard support and all this fancy wifi + bob crap
just play portable games, can bring me laptop for internet and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back