Psp Vs Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone direct me to a good, comprehensive site about the PSP emu scene? I never really knew that the PSP supported so much emulation.

I love my GP2X, MAME and now the CPS2 emulation is the best, and NES/SNES makes a good thing only better.

But I would love to have N64 and PSX emu as prtable too, and I didn't know the PSP handled them so well. That alone would encourage me to pick one up.

So what's a good, glitz-free site about emulation on the PSP with plenty of emu software, news, and screenshots? Thanks for the info.

gamefan999 said:
Can someone direct me to a good, comprehensive site about the PSP emu scene? I never really knew that the PSP supported so much emulation.

I love my GP2X, MAME and now the CPS2 emulation is the best, and NES/SNES makes a good thing only better.

But I would love to have N64 and PSX emu as prtable too, and I didn't know the PSP handled them so well. That alone would encourage me to pick one up.

So what's a good, glitz-free site about emulation on the PSP with plenty of emu software, news, and screenshots? Thanks for the info.
This one is both a news site and an emulation forum. It includes other systems' news as well, just click on one of the links. Have fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I actually found that site with Google, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. I absolutely abhor sites that use the "one long page" format - how gauche, this is frigging 2007 already, put in some menus, shit. So the emu links are about 27 miles down on the left side. Got it, thanks for helping me to persevere!

ED: This is from the MAME forum at the above-mentioned PSP emu site

"Will we ever get a decent mame emulator?

Its looking like a lost cause. "

Hmm.. makes you wonder!

vaustein said:
Re. my GP2X vs PSP comparison (thanks for linking imhotep!) I only looked at one game for the SNES emulator comparison. It's really too late to go back and update that thread, but I'd like to offer my most recent experiences with both.

SnesPSP_TYL, updated within the last two weeks, is the best SNES emulator on the PSP. In my original review, I speculated that newer releases of SnesPSP_TYL would outperform SquidgeSNES.

*Wrong!* Much to my amazement!

I already mentioned Milon no Doki Doki Daibouken. Try another heavyweight sidescroller like Actraiser or Hamelin no Violin-Hiki (Violinist of Hameln). You will be amazed along with me!

SnesPSP_TYL: Frameskip 0, CPU 333MHz (Max speed w/out OC but > default speed), 22KHz stereo, 1:1 aspect ratio, no smoothing. ActR: 30-38 FPS!! VoH: 33-45 FPS!! Setting Frameskip to AUTO made things far worse - the Auto FS setting sacrifices smoothness for greater emulated FPS, creating a messy slideshow effect.

SquidgeSNES: Frameskip Auto, CPU 250MHz (Max speed w/out OC but > default speed), 16KHz stereo, default aspect ratio. ActR: 58-60 FPS!! VoH: 48-60 FPS!! Somehow, Squidge developed an incredibly adaptable auto frameskip feature. Either that, or the emulation is running so smoothly that I'm not noticing dropped frames. The slideshow effect *never happened*, not once.

I don't pretend to understand how the performance shakes out this way; it almost contradicts the laws of physics (250MHz > 333MHz???). Feel free to perform your own experiments and share the results!

Actually I had a FPS rate of 57-65 in actraiser and 48-65 in VoH, what were your graphics settings? And that was on my old TYL version. Did you activate hardware graphics support? If you did a comparison, at least try to do it fair!

Technically the PSP N64 emulator isn't quite as far along as our own PSX emulator. But, hats off to the developer, he's doing great work. Check out his blog.

In fact, there are 2 versions of PSP's snes emulator - one ordinary and one ME - that uses hardware accelerated MediaEngine.

Which one was being used??

AND: put gp2x also on 0 FS

AND set gp2x to 22khz stereo

Please report results and how they changed ;)

the ME version really works surprisingly well, esp with an updated .DAT file to add more speedhacks (get them here). You can see a huge boost in games if you set the FPS limit to 60 and play around with the frameskip and rendering engine (approx software works very well for most games that don't require many transparencies).

@ Jaguarandine- I just tried Daedalus R11 and was blown away by the speed increase from previous releases; it plays very near full speed in some areas (around the castle, for ex). Seems its almost at a playable speed now (already got 20 stars!)

tbh, though, the screen streching in snes is near unbearable in a few games; DKC never looked so bad :ph34r:

Yeah it seems the PSP is pretty much kicking the GP2X's ass. Oh well, it can't really be helped since there are so many more people devving for the PSP. :( The GP2X does do a better job at some things, like SNES emulation where the screen aspect ratio just looks better though...

while i prefer the psp and have sold my gp2x (mainly because of psx emulation) i must say that what makes the gp2x definately the better buy is that the emus on the gp2x feel very, very polished up. the devs are really dedicating very much of their time to make those emus perfect. so i think in a years time the gp2x will emulate every system up to snes nearly perfect while i don't think there will be so much effort put into the psp's 8- and 16-bit systems emulators.

so every old-schooler should get a gp2x and not a psp!

Anhaedra said:
Yeah it seems the PSP is pretty much kicking the GP2X's ass.gh...
I can't imagine on what basis you say this. I have been having a good look through the emus (and comments on them) here http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/ (6th heading down on the left sidebar)
and I have seen pretty much overall, equal to or worse than performance from the PSP's set of emu's. They don't even have a decent MAME port yet. As far as I can tell, even the PSX performance is very spotty on the PSP.

Can you specifically indicate where and how the PSP "kicks the GP2X's" ass?

gamefan999 said:
Anhaedra said:
I can't imagine on what basis you say this. I have been having a good look through the emus (and comments on them) here http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/ (6th heading down on the left sidebar)
and I have seen pretty much overall, equal to or worse than performance from the PSP's set of emu's. They don't even have a decent MAME port yet. As far as I can tell, even the PSX performance is very spotty on the PSP.

I think he explained that sentence pretty well in his post. ;)

gamefan999 said:
As far as I can tell, even the PSX performance is very spotty on the PSP.
Yea, MAME is absolute trash on PSP, but from the five or so PS1 games I've tried, the official emulator is excellent and by no means spotty.

triksR4rabits said:
Yea, MAME is absolute trash on PSP, but from the five or so PS1 games I've tried, the official emulator is excellent and by no means spotty.

What I was referring to is this compatibility list here

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/emulators-for-psp-37039.html

It's nicely divided by color, and for all the green (working) titles, the majority of them still say "slow".

It is, after all, the least anyone would expect, to have a unit made by Sony Playstation to take the lead in playing Sony Playstation games, hem?

For this narrow, proprietary (Long Live Sony) victory, I still can't justify the statement "PSP emulation kicks GP2X emulation's ass" - it's still a completely unsubstantiated claim.

ED: For the record, there are approximately 220 games listed on that list, of which 12 of them are reported as "works (i.e. at a playable speed)". All the rest are unplayably slow or nonfunctional. Again, a hollow victory if you ask me. Hell, I can play Resident Evil or SFEX2 "slow" on my GP2X as it is now.

gamefan999 said:
Anhaedra said:

The PSP has emulators for almost everything the GP2X has, plus a PSX emu that actually works and N64 emulation. Yeah I know that GP2X does MAME better but that hardly makes it a winner. People on the GP2X forums will say "Oh well it's fine that the GP2X doesn't have N64 and a fast PSX emulator, because I don't care about it.", but really that is a big selling point for a lot of people. Also, that PSX compatibility list you linked to is from September 2006, so the emulation might be a bit better now. And honestly PSX4GP2X doesn't really have better compatibility.

gamefan999 you linked to the compability list of the homebrew psx emulator for psp.
the 'official' one from sony is near perfection. it's full speed, nearly full compability and has nice options.

Vollgasasi said:
gamefan999 you linked to the compability list of the homebrew psx emulator for psp.
the 'official' one from sony is near perfection. it's full speed, nearly full compability and has nice options.
Yeah I wanted to point that out too. He was so eager on providing prove for the shittyness of PSP's PSX emulator thus taking the first opportunity that comes.

daibo said:
Vollgasasi said:
Yeah I wanted to point that out too. He was so eager on providing prove for the shittyness of PSP's PSX emulator thus taking the first opportunity that comes.

I too noticed that.

Really, people, do you have to hate the other handhelds so much? I can understand not enjoying the commercial games the PSP offers. I mean, it's a 3D-heavy console that uses a disc drive, if you're a fan of the old-school and dislike loading times I can COMPLETELY understand not liking the PSP's commercial offerings.

But to dismiss the entire console like that and call it crap? Why such ferocious fanboyism?

Goddamn, fellas, who're the fanboys here? You are all gangbanging on me so badly, while "ferociously" supporting each other, I think you all protest a bit too much.

I never "dismissed an entire console"; I never tried to "prove for the shittyness of PSP's PSX emulator"; I never claimed PSX4GP2X has "better compatibility".

Let me go back a bit, to the post I originally responded to:

Anhaedra said:
Yeah it seems the PSP is pretty much kicking the GP2X's ass. Oh well, it can't really be helped since there are so many more people devving for the PSP. :( The GP2X does do a better job at some things, like SNES emulation where the screen aspect ratio just looks better though...
Ok, emphasis added to the above quote. You see, the original post was in response to emulation, not commercial games. The PSP's official PS1 gameplay better damn well be flawless, number one because I paid for it, and number two because if Sony can't make a current system backwards compatible with a twenty-year old system, they have some serious problems (PS3-cough-COUGH!).

You see, simple-minded fanboys, you cannot compare the GP2X's PS1 gameplay to the PSP's PS1 "offficial", commercial gameplay, because then you have stoped talking about emulation, and you've started comparing commercial platforms with homebrew/emulation, which are in a whole different league. So, it's more than fair to make comparisons to the homebrew PS1 emulators I mentioned, capice?

And, if it even needs to be mentioned, the GP2X has no commercial games available for it. So no comparisons can even be made there. We are always discussing emulation/homebrew when we compare these two systems. Get it? Makes sense?

Otherwise, we could just skip over the PS1 gameplay question entirely and go right to PSP commercial games. "Hey, PSP plays 'Rainbow 6: Las Vegas', you can't play that on your GP2X! That means the PSP kicks the GP2X's ass! Har!"

Ok, original fanboys? Got it now? Back on topic: demonstrate to me how the PSP surpasses the GP2X in terms of emulation, or shut up and stop ejaculating at the mouth. (...and you should leave out any mention of commercially available gameplay, if you didn't understand my point about that already).

gamefan999 said:
...twenty-year old system...

The PS1 came out in 1995? That'd make it 12 years old. Unless you're talking about something else?

Titcher said:
gamefan999 said:
...twenty-year old system...

The PS1 came out in 1995? That'd make it 12 years old. Unless you're talking about something else?

Oh well, twelve, twenty, whose counting? Time will be more relative to you too when you get old enough. Thanks for the minor correction, though. I see you have no problems with the rest of my (defensively) abusive rant, then? ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back