Gp2x, Really?

thetinman

Still Fresh
I just found the GP2X yesterday and from the start it sounded great. but the more i learn about it, and the more i see it's capabilities and limitations. i'm wondering, is it worth the money? i mean it sounds great, like the movie, music, game, photo player, and stuff like that. but, is it worth 189.99$ for classic games? if i'm missing something that the GP2X can do, please inform me.

worth is dependant on how much you want it... itsup to you if you think its worth it for classic emulators and homebrew

Paradox posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
worth is dependant on how much you want it... itsup to you if you think its worth it for classic emulators and homebrew

homebrew being...homemade games? i mean, it sounds good. but, am i missing some great function that it can do? like, can i play 3D or GBA or anything like that? i saw a neogeo emulater, so GBA shouldn't be a problem right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently, for me, personally, no. I spend 90% of my time infront of my computer... No use for 2X, really. Were I studying, or in working life, it'd be different. GP32 was in constant use last year, while still at work...

GBA has only just started some work on it by someone.. but i dont think it'll ever reach a stage like megadrive/sms etc, and if it does it wont be for a long time i dont think, so dont base your purchase on it

well, it all seems too complicated. i feel like if i bought one, i wouldn't be able to unlock the full potential of the GP2X. i have been looking at some of the downloads and all that.

It's worth it.

Just go look at the wiki ( wiki.gp2x.org ) and see some of the stuff available. The emulator pages also list compatibility of various games.

Overall, it's a GREAT little device. I don't use mine 24/7 at the moment(various games and friends playing them have drawn me in like a moth to a giant stompy robot flame), but it is DEFINITELY worth every penny.

Plus, show me some other handheld that lets you output to your TV. ;)

yalborap posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:27 PM said:
It's worth it.

Just go look at the wiki ( wiki.gp2x.org ) and see some of the stuff available. The emulator pages also list compatibility of various games.

Overall, it's a GREAT little device. I don't use mine 24/7 at the moment(various games and friends playing them have drawn me in like a moth to a giant stompy robot flame), but it is DEFINITELY worth every penny.

so, it can run any emulater i can download from the internet?

thetinman posted on Jul 16 2006 at 08:31 AM said:
yalborap posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:27 PM said:
It's worth it.

so, it can run any emulater i can download from the internet?

No. However, it CAN run the ones made for it, available on the download section of this site. There's plenty of stuff available.

(naw)mcx posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:38 PM said:
No... Only ones made for the gp2x or ported over... But there are plenty

what are they?

thetinman posted on Jul 16 2006 at 08:39 AM said:
(naw)mcx posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:38 PM said:
No... Only ones made for the gp2x or ported over... But there are plenty

what are they?

Just look at the wiki I linked. They're listed in software.

EDIT: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Software_Directory Lists all the software. This doesn't include games made for the GP2X, though, which is in the games section.

Why don't you find out for yourself you lazy rat. If you aren't capable of finding things out for yourself, you shouldn't be looking at a GP2x

i don't want a PSP or DS! the whole reason i looked into it was because of the classice games! and the only reason i'm asking is becuase most of you guys know what you're talking about and i thought you would help me

Back