Gp2x Review On Cdrinfo.com

cdrinfo posted on Dec 24 2006 at 11:24 PM said:
About the screen of PSP i found it very good and without any blurriness. That happened with PSP commercial games. Maybe with emulation there is that blurry effect you mentioned...

Oh, it is there. You don't notice it that much with 3D games (except for GTA, that is, which looks horrible) but try playing any 2D games like ASR... it is TERRIBLE.
My PSP also has about 20 stuck pixels... geez.

About battery life: It's exactly the other way round for me. My 2700 Ansmann easily work for 5 or 6 hours in my gp2x, whereas the PSP battery is dead after 3 hours...

Last edited:
I also wish reviewers would include retrovirus RTS in their list of commercial games. It's one of the few exclusives for the system and it's a serious attempt at making a good portable rts! :)

I have very mixed feelings about the review.

Comparing the systems should have brought out some of the difference of end users that purchase either systems. Mostly the homebrew, emu, and programmer crowd will buy the GP2X. And mostly those who are into commercial games will purchase the PSP. There are those few who do use the PSP in the same way as those who have the GP2X, but the large percentage will be for the commercial side, because that is the selling point. When it comes to the difference in the crowds buying these units, money is not the issue IMO. And usually the homebrew crowd may end up with both systems. (The people that have the most success with the GP2X system do seem to be those with more technical skills.)

I really think the battery usage is way off and inaccurate. My rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries were not that expensive and I do get a much longer play time.

It is nice that people are getting closer to having an accurate review of the system. This one may be the closest yet but still far off in some areas. He should revisit the GP2X and try the Neo Geo games with a "Neo Geo emu" for example. Sounds like he only tried them with Mame.

If I was grading this review, I would give it a 7 out of 10 stars. I really think that there are people on this forum that are more qualified, who own both systems, that can give amore accurate review comparing both systems without being bias and fanboyish than the people that are supposed to be the experts in reviewing hardware. I think that both systems excel in the respective areas in which they were intended for use, IMO. Some may even twist that statement into being bias and fanboyish. But I do not mean it to be.

was a pretty good review until the psp comparisons came. those were the most off the mark and seemed like contained some guesswork and not full knowledge of both systems. the rest of the review is good though.

buy rechargeable batteries and a charger and you have much longer life than possible with psp. rechargeables aren't very expensive either and if you have a bunch charged you could be gaming on the go for quite some time. using alkaline batteries as a point of comparison just isn't fair.

use gngeo emulator for neo geo games. fps is much better. mame is good for other games but not best for neo geo.

largely good review just some of the comparisons irked me, though pleasing everyone when making gp2x to psp comparisons is a pretty tough task.

one thing that annoyed me about the review was about he screen
"While it has very nice colours, its not as bright as we would like it to be, and its viewing angle is not very good. This means you have to hold the console at a specific angle to get the best view."

you mean looking at it straight on is not normal?

sand_man posted on Dec 25 2006 at 03:10 PM said:
one thing that annoyed me about the review was about he screen
"While it has very nice colours, its not as bright as we would like it to be, and its viewing angle is not very good. This means you have to hold the console at a specific angle to get the best view."

you mean looking at it straight on is not normal?

It's normal, sure, but it's not the ONLY way to look at it. If you set the '2x down to watch a movie, say, or are playing a game while people watch, it's handy to have a bigger viewing range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments and overall critism. Sorry for my late reply, but its Xmas time anyway :)

Some answers:

1) No i didn't tried PSP homebrew. Unfortunaly i had to return PSP, since i had borrowed it. But i plan to buy a PSP anyway and revise review

2) Batteries. I haven't tested autonomy with 2700rechargable batteries. I believe your comments about ~4/5 hours so i will revise the review with this comment. Of course this adds extra cost to the GP2X, whereas PSP has battery in package

3) PSP vs GP2X screen. It may be my eyes, but i found PSP screen bigger and with much better colour reproduction. Also it has wider viewing angles, feature needed to view movies. I am not saying that GP2X has a bad screen but its viewing angles are very limited...

4) PSP vs GP2X comparison. Of course this cannot be 100% accurate since something i like, you don't and via versa. As has been stated in the review, both portable platforms have different "audience", the first is a closed system with commercial games you have to pay much money, whereas GP2X is open, everyone can build its own games and download many for free. I believe this has been clearly stated in review.

5) Games and emulators... Due to testing period i couldn't possible test all emulators. Thats why we linked another review which has tested almost all system emulators, users can get a second opinion. We used MAME since its the most well known emulator platform. Hopefully I will test more NeoGeo games with gngeo emulator

6) "...I also wish reviewers would include retrovirus RTS in their list of commercial games...", strange didn't saw this game listed as commercial anywhere i looked, will add it at the list too... ;)

cdrinfo posted on Dec 27 2006 at 12:22 PM said:
1) No i didn't tried PSP homebrew. Unfortunaly i had to return PSP, since i had borrowed it. But i plan to buy a PSP anyway and revise review

Gotten a LOT better to run since the latest Custom firmware, but still not as nice and comfy as the gp2x :)

2) Batteries. I haven't tested autonomy with 2700rechargable batteries. I believe your comments about ~4/5 hours so i will revise the review with this comment. Of course this adds extra cost to the GP2X, whereas PSP has battery in package

Yep :) Though 4* 2700mAH batteries which last about 8 - 10 hours and two can be charged while you play with the other two cost about 7 - 10 Euro :)
Try this with a PSP :)
Also, try getting some PSP battery in 10 years :D

3) PSP vs GP2X screen. It may be my eyes, but i found PSP screen bigger and with much better colour reproduction. Also it has wider viewing angles, feature needed to view movies. I am not saying that GP2X has a bad screen but its viewing angles are very limited...

Yep, definately. The viewing angle with the MK2 (NOT the MK1! That's what some guys might confuse!) is pretty bad for watching movies.
However, my PSP has tons of bad pixels and it blurs badly. Each screen has its disadvantages I guess :)

5) Games and emulators... Due to testing period i couldn't possible test all emulators. Thats why we linked another review which has tested almost all system emulators, users can get a second opinion. We used MAME since its the most well known emulator platform. Hopefully I will test more NeoGeo games with gngeo emulator

You should, as GNGeo runs NeoGeo Games fullspeed with sound, which is something MAME doesn't do.
Though MAME is great for games like Ghouls'n'Ghosts :)

6) "...I also wish reviewers would include retrovirus RTS in their list of commercial games...", strange didn't saw this game listed as commercial anywhere i looked, will add it at the list too... ;)

Well... it's only available as download version at the gp2x Shop, that's probably why you haven't heard about it ;)

Last edited:
Back