Gp2x-ti92: A Ti-92 Calculator Emulator V1.0.1

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2x-ti92-snap-v1.jpg

XTiger is an unix emulator (under X Window) of a TI-92 calculator (Texas instruments).
It was originally written by Jonas Minnberg and was closed source.
Jonas Minnberg has not worked on XTiger for quite a while and he gave
Misha Nasledov the code and permission to GPL it.

Here is a port on GP2X of the version 0.8 using GP2X-SDK environment.
[cut]
The package is under GPL Copyright and sources are included.

Many TI92 stuff can be found on the following urls :

http://www.ticalc.org, and on the texas instruments web site http://education.ti.com

Here is a PDF version of the manual : http://www.smendes.com/ti89.pdf

You can download a binary version here :
ti-92 on archive.gp2x.de

You need the rom of your TI-92 or TI-92 plus v1.1, but it is NOT part of this package
because it is the property of Texas Instruments !

You can have a look to my blog http://zx81.zx81.free.fr,
there are many usefull links.

Enjoy,

Zx.[/cut]

linoleum13 said:
Will you be able to do mathematical operations that the TI-92 could perform with this? IE Will it function like the original calculator (sin, cos, tan, dy/dx, etc)?
Of course, it's a TI-92 emulator, so you can do everything you can do with a real TI-92 ...

Last edited by a moderator:
zx-81

You like porting SDL stuff! dont you :)

Thanks for all the ports so far. I am sure somebody will pick them ans start optimizing them for gp2x :D

JimmySlam said:
zx-81

Thanks for all the ports so far. I am sure somebody will pick them ans start optimizing them for gp2x :D

Don't know if you meant it that way, but you sure come off as rude and ungrateful with that comment.

reaper79 said:
JimmySlam said:
zx-81

Don't know if you meant it that way, but you sure come off as rude and ungrateful with that comment.

You can think i am rude if u want. I am not english, I look rude but i am not.

What i mean is:

He is porting tons of stuff, which is great but they are not optimized so at the moment are not using the whole potential of the machine. If somebody optimize them they will use better the hardware and they will be more usefull.

Thanks to him the first step is done, that step is important.

Do you still i am rude? :) IS not the first time people think i am rude, i am a bit rough that is all ;)

JimmySlam said:
reaper79 said:
JimmySlam said:
zx-81

You can think i am rude if u want. I am not english, I look rude but i am not.

What i mean is:

He is porting tons of stuff, which is great but they are not optimized so at the moment are not using the whole potential of the machine. If somebody optimize them they will use better the hardware and they will be more usefull.

Thanks to him the first step is done, that step is important.

Do you still i am rude? :) IS not the first time people think i am rude, i am a bit rough that is all ;)

Well, language barrier and translation aside, I don't think it is a compliment to thank a developer for his contribution to the community, and then call his work unoptimized and that is is ready for someone else to take over and optimize it. Especially when the emulator is a first release. ZX-81 has been porting a lot of emulators, and has also released optimized versions of them himself. I'm not trying to jump at you, it could be a cultural difference, but just don't be premature with your recommendations.

Reap

whenever i launch this emulator i get a black screen and it goes back to the main menu...am i doing something wrong?

sething said:
whenever i launch this emulator i get a black screen and it goes back to the main menu...am i doing something wrong?
Make sure you have a TI-92 rom.

Read the README or search with google for one.(zx's blog is also very useful)

Once you find it place it in the ti92-v1.0.1/game/ti92 folder and rename whatever ROM file you have to ti92.rom, if its not already named that.

And thank you Zx :) , this is a very cool emulator!

sething said:
Have a look to the README ;) ... You need a rom file to launch this calculator emulator.

Edit: oops someone give already the answer :)

@reaper79: thanks for your support, you're perfectly right.

@jimmyslam: have you tried this calculator emulator ? i think the answer is no, since it's already optimized for Gp2x. On this version i rewrote all the user interface (from my PSP version), and optimized it for gp2x, using most of all hints for gp2x.

As reaper79 said, your comment are ungrateful, but ... who cares ? If you don't like it, don't install it. If you think it's not optimized enough, then the source code is available under GNU license, please feel free to improve it and to release the code ...

@all: thanks

Just a quick note on the readme it says:

GP2X TI-92 (left)
B Diamond
X 2nd

These seem to be the wrong way around in the emulator, not sure which one's are correct though the readme or the emulator. Anyway thanks for emulator much appreciated.

Zenny said:
Just a quick note on the readme it says:

GP2X TI-92 (left)
B Diamond
X 2nd

These seem to be the wrong way around in the emulator, not sure which one's are correct though the readme or the emulator. Anyway thanks for emulator much appreciated.
Thanks for your feedback, i will have a look ... If you want to know the right mapping, then use the Keyboard menu in the emulator, and toggle to "Left mapping"

reaper79 said:
JimmySlam said:
zx-81

I beg to disagree completly. It's all in your head, my friend ;)

But yeah, saying it's unoptimized isn't ungrateful since it's a fact. It's not an insult. You guys and your adoration for emulator devs...

Thanks for the emulator. Ive been thinking it would be great to have an emulated TI calculator for the GP2X. I love my TI-89 (10 years old and I use it almost every day). Ill have to get used to the 92. Good work.

yeah this is really cool. i tried arkanoid and it ran pretty slow but then again it probably runs slow on the calculator itself. some of your other ports already had emus on the gp2x or were something i never heard of but this is definitely really cool since almost everyone has used a ti calculator at some point. im not that familiar with how to use them though. is there an easier way to start a program than program()? anyway good work on this and it fills in a gap of what the gp2x needed so i appreciate you porting this.

Well [2nd]+[VAR-LINK] brings up the AMS explorer, and you can browse the files from there, and select one with [ENTER].

I'm very glad to see this ported to the GP2X zx81, thanks a lot :)

Back