Gp2x Vs. Gp32?

another_visitor

Still Fresh
hi all!

I tried to search for this but didn't find much.. :/

I am looking for a handheld to play emulation games,
like NES, SNES, C64 & Amiga. Also old Lucasarts games.

I was here reading about the GP32 a while ago and remember that there
were some discussions about the different versions of the console,
the old versions being better etc..

So I came back to have a look and now I see that a GP2X is released
and it does indeed look really nice :)

What would people recommend for emulation & Lucasarts playing,
is the GP2X better than the GP32 in every way?
Thanks.

Nothing will replace my GP32 for retro gaming gp32_console :wub: (There`s nothing out there yet that can) , Does everything i need gaming wise, And what it does it does great. I had a GP2x (It disappeared while the workmen were refurbishing our kitchen, Toilet and bathroom) :eek: . I don`t miss it at all really, I was unimpressed with the dodgy joypad and the overall construction and cheapness of the console.

XGP Mini :wub: , Maybe.

Trooper

another_visitor posted on Oct 5 2006 at 12:32 AM said:
Also old Lucasarts games.

ScummVM (the app used to run all the old LucasArt's point and click games) is on both consoles but the GP2X version is several leagues in front of the GP32 in capability and speed. The GP32's 128MB storage limit and 8MB of RAM is a huge bind.

Both versions are still worked on but the GP2X (or maybe a pocket PC/Maemo) is the device to go for if that is one of your big things you want to use. Using the hardware scalar on the GP2X also allows the larger games like Broken Sword to run but they are too slow currently to be that playable and graphics suffer from being scaled.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2X and GP32 both have their own strengths and comprimises. In being a newer device, the GP2X has, of course, more powerful hardware. A much beefier CPU, far more memory, more storage capability, and a 2D blitter, most notably. The GP32, however, while being less powerful, has much higher build quality, a superior joystick, much longer battery life and a more efficiently-designed power subsystem (also more efficient SoC). What we really need is some kind of a combination of the better aspects of the two .. maybe the XGPs will be that, we'll have to wait and see. Or maybe someday GPH will feel like revising the GP2X and doing it right this time...

Epicenter posted on Oct 5 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
The GP32, however, while being less powerful, has much higher build quality

Bollocks. I've already told you why this is not true, yet here you are again saying the same lies.

We have sold thousands of each. I can tell you the GP2X is like night to day in terms of build and reliability. The number of GP32 returns we used to get was a nightmare and they never fixed the main problems in 4 years, instead they just sent us boxes of spare parts WITH the consoles. We had to test every single GP32 we sold because the quality was so poor.

We don't have to do that with the GP2X.

If you want a Dpad on the GP2X daveC will put one on for you, we will be offering this service soon on a larger scale at minimal cost once we have everything arranged with dave.

craigix posted on Oct 5 2006 at 03:37 PM said:
The GP32, however, while being less powerful, has much higher build quality

Bollocks. I've already told you why this is not true, yet here you are again saying the same lies.

We have sold thousands of each. I can tell you the GP2X is like night to day in terms of build and reliability. The number of GP32 returns we used to get was a nightmare and they never fixed the main problems in 4 years, instead they just sent us boxes of spare parts WITH the consoles. We had to test every single GP32 we sold because the quality was so poor.

We don't have to do that with the GP2X.

If you want a Dpad on the GP2X davec will put one on for you, we will be offering this service soon on a larger scale at minimal cost once we have everything arranged with Dave.
I agree, the GP2X feels really solid to me. I was afraid of all the hoo haa about the joystick that kept appearing on the forum, but I actually like it. My boyfriend prefers the GP2X joystick over the GP32 too, as he says the GP32 joystick feels loose and he hates the constant clicking.
Another plus is how easy te GP2X is to use. I had my 2X playing Megadrive games within minutes of unpacking the unit, Psycho Pinball looks amazing and plays like a dream! And to top it all, the screen on the GP2X is better too!

So which is better?
GP2X: faster, sleeker, you get more on-board memory, you can use larger media, it plays Amiga games, DrMD is smoother, movies are better, MP3's play at 100% correct speed, ogg support, User interface is skinnable without installing 3rd party launchers, TV out, Breakout board, Linux is the OS, need I go on?

GP32: It's white, unless you spray it black like wot I did.

Obviously the above is pretty biased :) but Being an owner of a GP2X, PSP and GP32, All bought from Craig by the way, I am most impressed with the GP2X. Get one, you won't regret it.

Addition: Notice I mentioned above about MP3s playing at the correct speed? I found on the GP32 the MP3s played slightly slow, my boyfriend, being a pro audio engineer noticed it even more than I did. That's why I didn't ever use my GP32 for playing audio as I notice things like that and find it annoying, apparently I am pitch perfect, which has nothing to do with how well people sing by the way.

Edited quote below.

The GP32, however, has much higher build quality, a superior joystick, much longer battery life and a more efficiently-designed power subsystem

Some of that is very subjective. The GP32's where by no means best examples of build quality (look at the 1st original FLU's for some scary examples ;)). Like most things the GP32 build quality varied during it's life quite a bit from dire to decent and I don't personally think the stick on it was that great. It did last longer on AA's but then its SoC also does a lot less so swings and roundabouts as I see it (and no I am not looking for an argument on SoC’s ;)).

The MK2 GP2X's are much better built then the 1st edition GP2X's and the GP32's in my view (having had a LOTS of both in all there incarnations). The small improvements to the MK2’s build do make it a better package overall and as things mature, firmware improves, PCB’s get revised, production lines get slicker etc. the whole thing becomes less and less of an issue.

Did I think the very 1st GP2X's may have been variable ;) as far a build went, oh yes, do I think the MK2's are better built then most of what has come before in the GP/GPH arena, most definitely. I’ll hold on any XGP comments until I see one in the flesh :D.

The GP32 has a 'chunkier' feel in your hands, but this shouldn't be confused with build quality.

I got through FIVE GP32s for various reasons:

1. NLU unit.. protective coating wore off..
2. FLU 1. Wouldn't overclock to 133Mhz even... GBAx replaced it for me.
3. FLU 2. Had a weird 'trapezeium effect' (Remember that??)
4. BLU 1. Decent machine, but low, low overclock rate
5. BLU 2. Originally 184Mhz but eventually burned out, it wouldn't stay on for longer than 30secs and 132Mhz max!

I'm currently after my sixth GP32. Why? Nostalgia mostly. I'll put the rose-tinted specs back on. I want a BLU+!

I do love the GP32, used that machine a ton, IF Rylehs emulators ever came out for the GP2X i would be happy as anything !

The joystick i didnt mind on the GP32 at all, just reminded me of the classic micro switch joysticks back in the 80's i used to use.

BUT the GP2X now that the firmware is stable and so much seems to be working fine is brilliant. For me the best thing is TV Out.

psj3809 posted on Oct 5 2006 at 05:21 PM said:
BUT the GP2X now that the firmware is stable and so much seems to be working fine is brilliant. For me the best thing is TV Out.

Ahh, but can it do this?
300px-Gp32-flu.jpg

the only con about the 2x is the very short battery life, i only get like 1,5 hours out of it :S

My GP32 died a while back. Why? For a number of reasons.... That flaming FLU cable kept breaking - its the most spindliest POS to solder. Also lost all "click" action on the stick, and at times my GP would refuse to power on because batteries and PSU don't mix. (you have to shove a screwdriver down the power hole to fix it = very safe :)

When I eventually get back to the UK, I'll get a GP2X as I'm very much into handheld emulation, but for the road I have to recommend NDS, you can drop it so many times and it still works.

I havent ever used a GP2X but to me it feels like asking this question:

Whats better, a GBA or a NDS?

But based purely on what Ive heard and scene of the GP32 it seems like it reigned supreme back before the GP2X and if you have a GP32 right now there arent a whole lot reason to step up to the Gp2X if emulation is your only concern But, if your looking for a portable entertainment device then yeah you might want to step up.

Oh, I like the way the GP32 looks more then the GP2X

comparing GBA and NDS - it has to be the NDS lite all the way.

If you're looking for GBA, NDS and also Internet gaming etc I recommend NDS. (e.g. Animal Crossing)

As for movies, pics, emulation, homebrew etc.. GP2X would be the way to go. The one thing to remember is that the lifecycle of the GP2X is already at an advanced stage compared to the GP32 at a similar point. So one year from now, I'm sure GP2X would have easily surpassed everything the GP32 was capable of.

Back