Gp2x Vs. Gp32?

Not everyone relies on charging their developers huge licensing fees and SDK fees like Sony and Microsoft do-- companies like Nintendo just make their hardware at a decent price point, with good build quality, don't try to push the envelope too much, and make up for it with unique and innovative games, or just great gameplay. Now, GPH does not have the kind of money Nintendo has-- so they need INVESTORS. Craig described to me GPH spending about $35,000 on the entire project of replacing the GP2X down the road. That's not appropriate. You don't take preorders, then spend the money on a prototype, then find problems in it, then make lots of duplicates of your faulty prototype, and sell them... only to revise the system many months later and still not fix all the problems. And have faulty firmware that is mostly broken for 6 months, and still has crash-prone mediocre media players after that.

Here's how you ARE supposed to do it. Get a prototype made. Test it thoroughly. If it doesn't work as needed, make another prototype. If you need money, get an investor. Or more. Make more prototypes until it works EXACTLY as needed. Get your firmware written while you're designing the handheld-- once the SoC is chosen, as well as some basic specifications, the final hardware isn't needed for that step. Once the final unit and software are done, mass-produce and sell the units. Sending prototypes to developers like GPH did with the raw GP2X PCBs is fine, but they should be full prototype units so customers can look at the design with an objective eye and find problems the manufacturer might not.

Is doing things correctly that much to ask? Customers shouldn't have sympathy for a company that builds a faulty product and makes their sellers and customers invent solutions that cost them more money. Korean companies produce lots of high-quality products, because they have a solid business plan and do things in a professional manner. You can't stick up for a company like they're your buddies-- they're not. They aim to produce a product, sell it to you, you buy it, and they make a profit. That's a business relationship. And it's all that should be expected of any company producing a handheld-- GP/GPH aren't special somehow.

thanks for more input to the question about GP32 vs GP2X,
I lean more towards the GP2X especially because of Amiga emulation.

If it's ok I would like to repeat my last questions, just to get
this sorted out as well :)

Looking at the GP2X, from what I can read in this topic and after doing a search in the forum it seems like he MKII version is quite some better than the two first versions.
Screen and manufacturing (soldering etc) seems to be the main points, joystick looks similar
in all versions however.

Are the differences in your opinion that big that I should choose the MKII version, anything to consider as to emulatio n when comparing the different versions?

It seems like I would have to find a used console I'm afraid, because of customs rules over here. If I order one from a shop in the UK or Germany I have to pay around 60£ extra in customs fees
and that is a bit much.
The duty-free limit is much higher for items sent from a private person
so a used console will be much cheaper to me because of this.

And it seems like all the different versions of the GP2X are sold used
on the net so good to know which I should choose if choosing GP2X over GP32

trooper posted on Oct 6 2006 at 01:35 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 6 2006 at 01:12 AM said:
trooper posted on Oct 5 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
sensible GP32 posted on Oct 6 2006 at 12:27 AM said:
im with trooper,

me and that man always tend to agree on stuff,

Man ?, Oh yeah!, *cough* :D

Trooper
a reference to something??.. :p

Shall i ..... ?.

Nah, It may upset Rico. :rolleyes:

DSCN3037.jpg

Damn!, I couldn`t resist. :D

Trooper
yay trooper <333

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter posted on Oct 6 2006 at 08:36 PM said:
Here's how you ARE supposed to do it. Get a prototype made. Test it thoroughly. If it doesn't work as needed, make another prototype. If you need money, get an investor. Or more. Make more prototypes until it works EXACTLY as needed. ...

Is doing things correctly that much to ask? Customers shouldn't have sympathy for a company that builds a faulty product and makes their sellers and customers invent solutions that cost them more money. Korean

And it's all that should be expected of any company producing a handheld-- GP/GPH aren't special somehow.

What I hear from you is that you would like GP/GPH to get the funding they need to get their builds right before they release it to the general public. What customer wouldn't agree with that? But what makes GP/GPH special is that they sell a relatively niche product with a community that develops for them, markets for them, and is willing to send them more money for more.

I bought a gp2x after being disgusted with the DS emulation scene seeing the number of active projects and forums like this one. I read about the build quality prior to MKI and didn't expect MKII to be that much better.

I put up with these issues because developers like you put up with these issues. You're free to complain about GP/GPH's business models all day long but at the end of the day, users like me are going to vote with our dollars because of the frequent updates of gp2x mame, drmd, or any of the number of original gp2x games. Gizmondo's and Zodiac's will come and go but I'll throw my hardware and donation dollars where the developers go.

I'm not suggesting that you should stop working on your Stargazer game or that gp2x mame 2.9 should be the last version but you and the rest of the community are part of GP/GPH and are "agents of the system". The gp2x emulation scene is incredible and US$179 make GPH special for now.

If you want to send a message to GPH, you'd jump ship to the next thing like many did leaving the GP32. (I'd still rather run emulations on a GP32 than the DS)

another_visitor posted on Oct 6 2006 at 11:49 PM said:
thanks for more input to the question about GP32 vs GP2X,
I lean more towards the GP2X especially because of Amiga emulation.

If it's ok I would like to repeat my last questions, just to get
this sorted out as well :)

Looking at the GP2X, from what I can read in this topic and after doing a search in the forum it seems like he MKII version is quite some better than the two first versions.
Screen and manufacturing (soldering etc) seems to be the main points, joystick looks similar
in all versions however.

Are the differences in your opinion that big that I should choose the MKII version, anything to consider as to emulatio n when comparing the different versions?

It seems like I would have to find a used console I'm afraid, because of customs rules over here. If I order one from a shop in the UK or Germany I have to pay around 60£ extra in customs fees
and that is a bit much.
The duty-free limit is much higher for items sent from a private person
so a used console will be much cheaper to me because of this.

And it seems like all the different versions of the GP2X are sold used
on the net so good to know which I should choose if choosing GP2X over GP32
The specs for all GP2X models are the same, so all programs will run just as well regardless of what model GP2X you have. The difference between models are really just improvements in build quality; definitely try to get an MKII.

Where are you located? There are more distributors than just Craig (UK) and ED (Germany). Here's a list of distributors (might not be complete as some of the info is out of date..): http://gp2x.com/company/sales.asp?part=03

thanks mate, I am located in Norway. Sweden might have been an option, the concole is only 20£ more expensive there compared to the UK but I am afraid customs fees will still apply even though it's our neighbour country.

So for now a used console is the only option I'm afraid,
would definately have wanted a new MKII with warranty and all :)

another_visitor posted on Oct 7 2006 at 05:20 AM said:
thanks mate, I am located in Norway. Sweden might have been an option, the concole is only 20£ more expensive there compared to the UK but I am afraid customs fees will still apply even though it's our neighbour country.

If you ask the distrubutor nicely they can mark the package as a gift, therefore avoiding any customs fees.

Fat Agnus posted on Oct 6 2006 at 10:07 PM said:
I'm not suggesting that you should stop working on your Stargazer game or that gp2x mame 2.9 should be the last version but you and the rest of the community are part of GP/GPH and are "agents of the system". The gp2x emulation scene is incredible and US$179 make GPH special for now.

If you want to send a message to GPH, you'd jump ship to the next thing like many did leaving the GP32. (I'd still rather run emulations on a GP32 than the DS)
Well, a positive thing is that software for the GP2X, or over 95% of it, is not custom-tailored by its very nature to the GP2X. It's just ARM-Linux binaries usually with SDL providing multimedia functionality and input/event handling. So the GP2X's marvelous selection of apps will run on similar handhelds that can accomodate them, e.g. a display 320x240px or larger, an ARM processor, the requisite number of buttons and course a Linux OS-- which is fortunately pretty broad. Which is why I'm not worried about software support for the XGP/Mini. Although if anyone besides GP/GPH produced a handheld similar to the GP2X that was a more satisfactory product, the GP2X's software by and large would come right over with a quick recompile, and nearly no/no changes in the code-- some may not even NEED a recompile and may run happily with the original GP2X binary.

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 7 2006 at 04:30 AM said:
another_visitor posted on Oct 7 2006 at 05:20 AM said:

If you ask the distrubutor nicely they can mark the package as a gift, therefore avoiding any customs fees.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lik-sang marks all packages cheaper to avoid customs. Should e-mail them to make sure. I've dealt with them; they're very good.

the problem is that customs does not accept gifts from companies,
they would have to send the parcel with a private persons name and
return address with no company information for it to be accepted.

When it is sent from a company the limit is as low as 18£ value and
it might be hard for the GP2X to pass with such a low value.

We have silly customs rules here indeed.. :/
So used is normally the solution as a private person can put any value
they want and as long as the value is below 95£, it's usually very hard to
get a shop to go along with that I'm afraid.

But if warranty can be transferred on these units a used one is OK,
bit annoying my friend in the UK moved back to Norway before we
could buy a new GP for me :(

EDIT:
since these units are kind of in the underground scene I would guess it's more safe to get a used GP2X than say a PSP (more serious users I would guess),
any experiences with used trades or have you all only bought new units since most of you has this option easily available? :)

hi again, I've been searching a few used consoles.. and one
commented "I am selling my GP2x, not a GP2x MK2 that has problems with LCD".

Wasn't it the first versions that had screen problems, not the MK2?

another_visitor posted on Oct 11 2006 at 04:57 PM said:
hi again, I've been searching a few used consoles.. and one
commented "I am selling my GP2x, not a GP2x MK2 that has problems with LCD".

Wasn't it the first versions that had screen problems, not the MK2?

It's a give and take, and how much you care depends on your own personal preferences (100% subjective). Here are the facts:

MK2=Brighter (VERY BRIGHT), low viewing angle, but no interlace lines, and much clearer pixalation (DS Lite like)

MK1=interlace lines, but it looks more like a TV. Wide viewing angle.

Back