GP32 Article In PCZone

retrocraig

Website
www.glitterkitten.net
PC Zone have a short article about the GP32 in issue 134 November 2003 (out in the shops soon). It tells you about the different emulators available (as well as mp3, GPCinema, SCUMM and Doom) and doesn't even mention GBA!

Scan hopefully coming soon but my scanner ain't working at the mo.

I agree I would love to see the article.
I think we could be seeing more GP32 articles as the european release inches ever closer.

Its a bit exciting...

i read that article this morning!

its just a small column in the news section but it's pretty cool that the gp32 is beginning to get some recognition. it also mentions gbax.com and gp32emu.com

... doesnt mention gp32x tho :(

i'd scan it in but unfortunately i dont have a scanner :blink:

I'm all for more people finding out about the gp32, but read that article again. It says the gp32 is based on a PC architecture and it can even run early PC titles like doom. Anyone reading crap like that in a PC magazine is instantly going to think the gp32 has a 386 or 486 and can run all old pc stuff straight out of the box. How soon will it be before we get loads of people on here complaining that they've got a console that won't run all the games they were expecting it to run :(

woogal posted on Sep 19 2003 at 12:36 PM said:
How soon will it be before we get loads of people on here complaining that they've got a console that won't run all the games they were expecting it to run :(
Rather than people complaining on the forum about the fact I decided to try and inform our readers about how good the GP32 is?

*sighs and gives up*

Jamie
PCZ

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you have to worry about people coming in and thinking its a 386 or 486 since I had a 486 and i think the highest processing speed was 66mhz. What I do think you'd have to worry about is it does state its based on PC architecture, now I don't know much on the GP32 since mine hasn't come in the mail yet, but reading the posts here, the GP32 isn't able to run straight pc games, they do have to be converted into a different format correct? If i'm right and they do have to be converted then your going to get complaints from people that install the game on a pc and then transfer it to the GP, with the orignal pc files and it not working. I could be wrong though, please correct me if i'm wrong because i have quite a few old computer games that i would love to play on my GP32, when i get it, if i can just xfer all the files and .exe files straight to the GP.

There have been many articles about the GP32 in Swedish magazines. They have talked about the GP32 as a competitor to GBA and N-Gage. It's fun to read about a console, that almost is told about for the first times in big magazines, and you already have it. :D

you're right, the old games won't work straight away. but i think the article is trying to say that the gp32 can run these things if people put some effort into it.

Who cares? either way it means we'll have more GP32 owners once they've bought it they aren't going to throw it away as soon as they find out that it isn't a 386, they might be of some use.

one use has shown itself already..... all these new people that will buy the GP32 on European launch has meant that Gamepark is now more committed to providing big name english friendly commercial games. Who knows, in the future we may even see commercial emulators??
On the other hand, i can also understand why people would not want the GP32 to be a mainstream device because of the damage it may do to the community.

Jamie posted on Sep 19 2003 at 03:23 PM said:
woogal posted on Sep 19 2003 at 12:36 PM said:
How soon will it be before we get loads of people on here complaining that they've got a console that won't run all the games they were expecting it to run :(
Rather than people complaining on the forum about the fact I decided to try and inform our readers about how good the GP32 is?

*sighs and gives up*

Jamie
PCZ
I appreciated it, I got my copy through the door this morning and the first page I saw was that one.
Now I did notice that emulation zone is getting a little quiet, how about a GP32 Emulation zone feature :D

Avigrace posted on Sep 19 2003 at 06:07 PM said:
I appreciated it, I got my copy through the door this morning and the first page I saw was that one.
Now I did notice that emulation zone is getting a little quiet, how about a GP32 Emulation zone feature :D
Now that's an idea! ;)

Cheers for reading the mag.

Jamie

Back