Gp32 Newb

Pidda

Still Fresh
I am looking to buy a GP32 from http://www.gbax.com/new/gp32.html
Do you recommend getting a regular $185 or to not risk anything and to go for the 166mhz one? And does BLU+ seem like a good idea? I'v hurd some bad things about BLU+. I want to use the GP32 for Genesis, Nes, Doom, ROTT, Homebrew and SMS mostly. But i would like to play SNES, MAME, TV shows and others I haven't mentioned but not as much as the ones I want to play the most. So, what would you all suggest?

Personally I would go for the 199Mhz BLU+, which I did and am VERY happy at the purchase. Most things work on the BLU+, which is nice.
I cannot see why this whole BLU+ situation is scaring people away from the GP32 community, it's a real shame :( . They need to know the truth dammit!

Alright, you see, I am selling most of my XBOX games (I hate xbox) and my old consoles (Sega Saturn, Genesis, Nintendo Original, Game Gear) to get this. I am not sure if i could get anything above $225.

i know the truth and it scares me, i wanted to upgrade my non lit unit, but hell with it, i'm gonna just keep it unless i can find a regular blu or a cheap flu.

I think its mainly a question af your location. Sure, gbax is the only company selling 166 MHz guaranteed Units, but if you have the skill and the equipment i´d recommend you to buy the cheapest one you can get ( f.i. jr2swiss in the USA) and do a Voltagemod yourself; the chances that you get it to work @ 166 MHz or above are good. But if your´re living in the UK, gbax may be well worth the money.

If you want to take a chance, then better go for a unlit unit on e-bay, they seem to have the highest chance of overclocking goodness (mine goes up to 256 :p ).

But otherwise I would go for the 166mhz version, since 166mhz is really almost a must for decent emulation.

OR if you have some confidence in your technical abilities do the modification yourself... it is not easy, but not impossible either.

Don't worry about the BLU+ issue, almost every good program is fixed by now.
Just opensnes isn't, but to be honest, while it is a great pice of coding, only very few games run at a good speed on it (even fewer with sound), so you don't miss that much.

166mhz is not almost a must for decent emulation, if anything, it's almost not needed my unlit goes to 156mhz and i run everything fine. what really needs 166mhz? DrMd and Osnes9x? even those run very well at less than 166mhz.

Fishbong posted on Mar 25 2005 at 01:55 PM said:
I think its mainly a question af your location. Sure, gbax is the only company selling 166 MHz guaranteed Units, but if you have the skill and the equipment i´d recommend you to buy the cheapest one you can get ( f.i. jr2swiss in the USA) and do a Voltagemod yourself; the chances that you get it to work @ 166 MHz or above are good. But if your´re living in the UK, gbax may be well worth the money.

I live in the USA and there isn't many options on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
KickinWing posted on Mar 25 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
166mhz is not almost a must for decent emulation, if anything, it's almost not needed my unlit goes to 156mhz and i run everything fine. what really needs 166mhz? DrMd and Osnes9x? even those run very well at less than 166mhz.

Well, for Genesis, Lynx, AtariST and PCEngine it is a LOT nicer to have a 166mhz unit, since some games arn't really playable below that (with sound).

You are right about most other emulators though.

Julius posted on Mar 25 2005 at 03:23 PM said:
166mhz is not almost a must for decent emulation, if anything, it's almost not needed  my unlit goes to 156mhz and i run everything fine. what really needs 166mhz?  DrMd and Osnes9x?  even those run very well at less than 166mhz.

Well, for Genesis, Lynx, AtariST and PCEngine it is a LOT nicer to have a 166mhz unit, since some games arn't really playable below that (with sound).

You gotta be kidding me? I don't know maybe i'm used to 156mhz, but DrMd. frameskip 1 w/sound all games,
atari lynx at 156mhz w/sound, whatever frameskip was on, i didn't change it, plays perfect and i've tested it with games i actually own to see the difference
AtariST, most games i play w/sound frameskip 1 and don't go above 140mhz
PCEngine, whatever the base config is, i've never had to mess with them and i believe the base config is 133mhz,

so try again, 166mhz is not a necessity, just nice to have in case.

KickinWing posted on Mar 25 2005 at 08:31 PM said:
166mhz is not almost a must for decent emulation, if anything, it's almost not needed  my unlit goes to 156mhz and i run everything fine. what really needs 166mhz?  DrMd and Osnes9x?  even those run very well at less than 166mhz.

You gotta be kidding me? I don't know maybe i'm used to 156mhz, but DrMd. frameskip 1 w/sound all games,
atari lynx at 156mhz w/sound, whatever frameskip was on, i didn't change it, plays perfect and i've tested it with games i actually own to see the difference
PCEngine, whatever the base config is, i've never had to mess with them and i believe the base config is 133mhz,

try Mame 1.1 - 166Mhz is not enough for Gauntlet, Speed Rumbler etc. on my FLU

i have tried mame, but only a handful of games, what I have works fine at 156mhz frameskip 2 w/sound, games like Commando, Ghostbusters, Pitfall II, Green Beret.

KickinWing posted on Mar 25 2005 at 09:31 PM said:

But if you don`t go for a guaranteed 166mhz unit, You could end up with anything from 133mhz upwards. There is a couple of people that have got units that don`t go above 133mhz, Which limits the possibilities of a lot of what you just said. Then wishing you had got a guaranteed 166mhz unit in the first place.

Gamble 133mhz+

Or

Guaranteed 166+

It their choice.

Trooper

trooper posted on Mar 25 2005 at 09:33 PM said:
KickinWing posted on Mar 25 2005 at 09:31 PM said:

But if you don`t go for a guaranteed 166mhz unit, You could end up with anything from 133mhz upwards. There is a couple of people that have got units that don`t go above 133mhz, Which limits the possibilities of a lot of what you just said. Then wishing you had got a guaranteed 166mhz unit in the first place.

Gamble 133mhz+

Or

Guaranteed 166+

It their choice.

Trooper

yep... dont gamble on BLU units...

make sure its clockspeed is known (if you buy off ebay you can ask the seller)

if you ask jswiss nicely he might even check a unit for you and his glass screen mods are legendary (dave c apart)

i do agree that 156mhz is adequate though...

i have a FLU and a nonlit

the nonlit only gets 156mhz - and it plays no different to the FLU at 170mhz+

sPaCe :ph34r:

KickinWing posted on Mar 25 2005 at 08:31 PM said:

Try SubTerrania on DrMD, that one doesn't even run at 166mhz really well.

Really I understand that you are more than satisfied with 156mhz, most games do run at a playable speed.
But some don't and a lot are much more enjoyable at higher than 'playable' rates.

Pidda posted on Mar 26 2005 at 03:56 AM said:
which is best? FLU NLU BLU?

BLU

Better screen, Better lighting.

Back