GP32 Newbie questions

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Ordered a gp32 and just waiting for it to arrive. Will be using it mostly for development of own apps, but wouldn't mind being able to still run a few commercial apps and games.

Now, this freelauncher thing seems like a nightmare - you need to register your gp32 to get it, and then when you switch on the gp32, it must be loaded as a game, and then you can load your own stuff, that must be in FXE format - correct?

What is the best way to bypass this, so on startup, you just get given a directory listing of the SMC, and you choose which executable to load (not necessarily in FXE format). The only one I've found that seems to do this is PacRom, but are there others? By running PacRom under GeePee32, it seems to do exactly what I'm after, but are there others that would be better suited?

I don't know why, but at the moment, accessing english.gamepark.com just gives me a "this page cannot be displayed", so are there other ways of obtaining the free launcher?

Also, can someone state exactly how safe it is to flash the firmware/bios? As in, how often does it fail, and when it does fail, can it be recovered? (I notice the JTAG interface - could this rescue a failed bios flash?)

Lastly, is there an adaptor available for when you don't want the gp32 portable, so it can run of mains power instead of batteries? (If not, how well would it run from Nicad rechargeables?)

The best solution is to get freelauncher, get MultiFW2 from spivs page, and then flash the bios.
Then, you can have PClink as your default startup shell(boots in 1 sec or smth).
PCLink is great for development, since it can load GXB's and execute them directly, without storing them on SMC.
MultiFW2 also have patched trap vectors which means that you can use the gdb-stub for source-level debugging.

---
mithris

There is nothing wrong with Free launcher, there's no real reason to flash the firmware unless your just too lazy to wait 5 seconds to load a game. From what I've read on the boards flashing can really mess up your GP if not done 100%correctly.

Free Launcher is fine if you just want to load up a game then play it for quite a while, but when developing you're usually restarting the app several times in a very short period. Thats where multifw2 (either starting with pclink or pacrom) speeds up the whole process.

Back