GP32 not booting into firmware when turned on

Zhongtiao1

Still Fresh
I finally obtained an SMC today and tried booting up my GP32. Unfortunately, I do not see the menu when I turn it on with the SMC inserted. When I hook it up to Windows, all I get in device manager is "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

Anyone know what the issue might be?
Post automatically merged:

I'm installing a Windows XP VM just to see right now

Yes, I did. The screen doesn't even come on with or without the smc inserted
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, over the years several people here reported their GP32 breaking, sometimes because of internal parts going bad over time. None of these devices were particularly sturdy to begin with, but I think the GP2X F-100, F-200, and Caanoo aged better and are the best GameParks to get today if you want to visit 320x240 Land :)

Reactions: rSl
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, over the years several people here reported their GP32 breaking, sometimes because of internal parts going bad over time. None of these devices were particularly sturdy to begin with, but I think the GP2X F-100, F-200, and Caanoo aged better and are the best GameParks to get today if you want to visit 320x240 Land :)
Shoot! Really? There's no way to get it working? :( I can't really afford a GP2X at this point anyways. It was a New Old Stock console that I got.

I wanted it so I could try out all of the GP32 games, plus the stick is amazing. Oh well. That's money wasted then :(

Not if it can be fixed.
I don't know GP32, but I guess there's a list of common failures somewhere.

Not if it can be fixed.
I don't know GP32, but I guess there's a list of common failures somewhere.

Sorry for the long silence. Do you know of any fixes for the red power light coming on, but nothing on the screen? Fresh batteries and I've also tried just using the power adapter. The device was sealed before I opened it, so I don't believe the firmware was flashed at all.

Hello.

Maybe this will help you. This in Spanish.

It is possible that using the google translator you will understan.

I am the author but my English is very bad.

Sorry.

I can not put the link. I have a spam alarm.
It is in the GP32spain forums.

The topic is:

'GP32-Enciende-LED-pero-no-la-pantalla-ni-el-sonido'.

Sorry again.

IMG_0871.jpeg

Changing the bios chip we have managed to resurrect some.

Last edited:
Ohh, I have three like that.
Is it enough to simply replace and reflash (need to figure out again how to do that though) or do you need to flash it externally before putting it back in?

Is it enough to simply replace and reflash (need to figure out again how to do that though) or do you need to flash it externally before putting it back in?
You can also flash the BIOS via JTAG if you have the necessary adapter/software. I do actually have a GP32 JTAG adapter (made by mr. spiv) but it requires a parallel port and I was not sure if the JTAG on my GP32 still worked, so I decided to connect the new flash chip to a STM32 microcontroller to flash the BIOS.

That does look like you at least need some soldering skills, a fresh flash chip and a way to program the flash chip with a bios-backup. Not something every visitor of the forum will have.

The firmware appears to be downloadable here:

The flash chip could be bought here (€3):

The programmer for the flash chip appears to differ:
* a JTAG cable is possible to build but I didn't see any schema for this.
* Firefly posted a pic with a STM32 and I don't have a manual for this
** I think it's this board (€9): https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32784822906.html
** I think this this tsop board (€2): https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000044163381.html
* use a TL866II Plus programmer (€36, optional set has TSOP adapters +€35): https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32963724045.html
** Combine it with the above tsop board, or an TSOP32 adapter (€8): https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33059408748.html

I've attached the threads fbustamantegamboa mentioned as pdf.

Attachments

• GP32_Topic_EN.pdf
    92.8 KB · Views: 288
  • TutoGP32.pdf
    12.8 MB · Views: 349
  • fw157e.zip
    244.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Love
That does look like you at least need some soldering skills, a fresh flash chip and a way to program the flash chip with a bios-backup. Not something every visitor of the forum will have.
At least it's not SMD, and at least it's not BGA. It's fairly small pitch, but I'd imagine it's something most people with soldering irons, and access the to sort of shops that sell these parts can handle

Back