Gp32linux And Opie :) [pda]

OmarNawaz posted on Jul 20 2004 at 09:30 PM said:
So cyberic if you are willing to take on at least part of this task i will pay for a serial cable aswell as paying for other work you do:

Enabling full serial port support: £25

Incorporating a driver i.e basic modem or other device with good support with linux: £25

Proof of work like a video or picture i would like to see first, no code will have to be released until money is recieved.
You didn't understand me.

What I said is that I'm unable to build a serial cable myself, so I am willing to pay somebody for providing me such a cable.

"Full serial port support" as you call it is already there, so normally it is already possible to connect the GP to a PC, but because I have no cable, I couldn't test it.

About 'basic devices', I don't know what you mean. Is you mean a modem, yes it should be supported too. I would be happy to work on it and test it once I get a serial cable.

And about the SMC problem, I'm afraid I can do nothing about it. Toholl, the kernel developer, will work on it but it is not his priority ATM.

I DO NOT want to be paid for that at all. And I don't know how I could provide some proof of work without even having a serial cable, this is stupid.

As always, our main problem is that we need a lot of time, so we would be glad to share the work. We'd like to get more developers involved in order to make progress faster, and we DON'T want any money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see i think i have misunderstood something along the way, it doesn't matter i suggest you disregard my earliier post.

Its just that i am really dumb with linux type things so i thought i could pay someone to do it for me. ^_^

Kinda dumb idea i know, i should just get up off my lazy ass and try to figure it out myslef considering it already has serial port support.

hehhuu :unsure:

cyberic posted on Jul 20 2004 at 12:22 AM said:
Which app would you like to see on the GP?

If you find it useful, I will put a quick tutorial on how to compile apps with openembedded.
Hello Cyberic :)

is it possible to get an apache serveur running on GPLinux atm ? ;p
like this I would be able to try my php code on GP32 which would be awesome ;p
hummm & what about a MP3 player ???
I would also want to know if you already try to compile a sort of small "Open Office" software which would be able to open .xls & .doc ???
& is there a hope to get Java support on GPLinux or does the 8 Mb are really too short for all this???

& I'm interest in your tutorial, so please post it when you got time, but in real "beginner" mode to let me be able to try to understand ;)
the best would be that you take a true exemple of apps like a little Paint software or something like this & that you describe where you find the source, which software (& where u get it) u use to compile this & what we need to change to make our apps working - maybe - on GP32 Linux....

I also always wonder how much "portable" are the apps if we get the sources... I mean, is it possible, if the specs of the app are < or = approximatly to the GP32 (mainly 320 * 240 + 8 mb of Ram + Arm @ 166 or 133), to port everything quite easily????

Btw which GPlinux release are you using for all that ???

thanks alot for your answer anyway :)

Hi there

I updated www.gp32linux.com

Now, in download section there are some standalone packages so you can try the different distributions one by one without major problems (I hope...)

Some tutorial and the french version of the web is comming soon.

That's the first time I saw that site and I am impressed. I like how you said the specs like how I and others suggested. I always loved that blue penguin :)

Since you are adding french, why not add spanish as well, since you are from spain and there are lots of spanish users since the launch. I think you should put an announcement on that site saying you are looking for translators to translate the website to many languages. I am assuming the distros already have multi-language support.

I will download a distro in the morning.

-------------------------------------
i think so

hummm & what about a MP3 player ???
-------------
well there are some dma problems with the sound driver , so there are a few glitches

I would also want to know if you already try to compile a sort of small "Open Office" software which would be able to open .xls & .doc ???
------------------------
well, yes but i think we have to optimise the memory use

& is there a hope to get Java support on GPLinux or does the 8 Mb are really too short for all this???
-----------------------------------------------
there is already something called gp32 waba
we could have support for some java application, have to try

I also always wonder how much "portable" are the apps if we get the sources... I mean, is it possible, if the specs of the app are < or = approximatly to the GP32 (mainly 320 * 240 + 8 mb of Ram + Arm @ 166 or 133), to port everything quite easily????
--------------------------------------------
well yes, if it s well done

Enslaved posted on Jul 22 2004 at 05:34 AM said:
That's the first time I saw that site and I am impressed. I like how you said the specs like how I and others suggested. I always loved that blue penguin :)

Since you are adding french, why not add spanish as well, since you are from spain and there are lots of spanish users since the launch. I think you should put an announcement on that site saying you are looking for translators to translate the website to many languages. I am assuming the distros already have multi-language support.

I will download a distro in the morning.
The spanish version is up at the same time (just click the spanish flag ;D)

The translation is a good idea. I'm doing the spanish and english version but my english is very bad. So if someone want to help with english or another language he is welcome.

Hope the distros works.. I test them before upload but have no time to try to download -_-U

This is really cool. But I have a couple of Questions :rolleyes:

In Opie how do I start typing without a chatboard? - is one needed to type in the text editor? If so, I'm buying one today!

For what its worth if you insert time/date it states that its January 1 1970 :lol:

lizard808uk posted on Jul 22 2004 at 12:05 PM said:
This is really cool. But I have a couple of Questions :rolleyes:

In Opie how do I start typing without a chatboard? - is one needed to type in the text editor? If so, I'm buying one today!

For what its worth if you insert time/date it states that its January 1 1970 :lol:
dont rush
we havent smc write support yet
and opie is slow, so we are looking for faster alternatives
and right now there is some keys mapping problem for opie [ for the chatboard]
someone was testing a virtual keyboard driver
but i dont have news from him/her [ contact me please]

for the date, we dont have a battery, so the date/time is reset when
you power off your gp

Tidus posted on Jul 21 2004 at 08:10 PM said:
cyberic posted on Jul 20 2004 at 12:22 AM said:
Which app would you like to see on the GP?

If you find it useful, I will put a quick tutorial on how to compile apps with openembedded.
Hello Cyberic :)

like this I would be able to try my php code on GP32 which would be awesome ;p

I'm interest in your tutorial, so please post it when you got time, but in real "beginner" mode to let me be able to try to understand ;)
the best would be that you take a true exemple of apps like a little Paint software or something like this & that you describe where you find the source, which software (& where u get it) u use to compile this & what we need to change to make our apps working - maybe - on GP32 Linux....

Btw which GPlinux release are you using for all that ???
Hi

About apache, yes, I agree with ingeras. But in order to test your PHP code, you will need at least:
- Apache+mod_php
- a web browser
- an editor
- a keyboard/chatboard to code

All these apps will have to run at the same time, it should be possible but you may run out of ram

For the tutorial, I'm afraid there won't be any 'easy mode'... it is a trial and error method, because openembedded is not perfect and not specifically for gp32 but rather for ipaqs, zaurus, etc...

About the realeases I'm using: I'm using my own! I just succeeded in compiling the matchbox window manager. The problem is that it takes ages to load... but it works

Thanks for the nicer archives on gp32linux.com, I will try them right away, hopefully they will work.

Thanks for your hard work.

Is there any chance you could add some links or downloads of the ipaq and zaurus apps to your gp32linux.com site?

mth411

Thanks for you all Cyberic & Ingeras to have answer fully all my questions & for the links :)

I'm sure that the next improvement (Sound driver / Write support on SMC / Memory use optimisation) will give some new big possibilities (Read MP3 / write files & use SMC as HDD etc..) to the already fantastic & marvellous GP32 Linux project :)

concerning Java, I took time to get informations about Waba, but I think true java use would give so much more possibilites ;)

I'll also keep in mind that running an apache server seems quite difficult actualy (as Cyberic said, in "real" situation we will surely reach memory limits), & I will try anyway your tut even if my knowledges aren't really great in coding (just some study memories) ;p
it's really so great that you made your own distro :) I wish that you'll let us try it one day ;) Opie distro isn't really the fastest one too, but it's interesting & it's always great to can try new things :)

Thanks for all your hard work & continue to amazed us with many GPLinux wonders ;p

I've had a nice talk with a guy on the Opera IRC channels and he told me that it should be possible to use the Gp32 as a html viewer using Opera for linux.

Opera software has developed a medium screen rendering technical that can resize pages to medium (320x240 to 640x480) resolutions unfortunately this isn't included in the browser yet but we could use small screen rendering until then (press Shift + F11 to try it).

The processor will be fine as long as javascript, gif animations are turned off and we use a native skin. The memory would be more off a problem but if we turn change of and don't use the MDI it might work.

Instead of that we could also use an older version of Opera for Linux (but then small/medium screen rendering would be a no go.

ingeras posted on Jul 29 2004 at 06:08 AM said:
gp32 could browser the net via
1) serial cable
2) usb cable hope soon
3) event better, wifi [ if we manage to make usb work ]

new propaganda pack !!!!
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=97358
WOW :) it can play MP3 now!!! the progress is so fast :)))
the GP32Linux team is really really doing a sooo great job :)

btw Ingeras, does your work on your Thesis is finished now??? everything was fine ??? :)

release notes:
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.p...lease_id=256559

sound driver has still glitches
well my director has to read my thesis and i have to correct it after
and give it for 16/8/
then i still have an exam
then i have to present my thesis
so i will be busy until 3 september :(

and cyberic is on vacation
so only toholl is working on it right now

[last thing i did is burn my usb memory stick, by putting 6V instead of 5V