GPD Pocket 2 Announced

That Japanese Key and CapsLock are not a good choice in my opinion.
Make CapsLock Fn+Shift and leave out that Japanese Key. That frees up 2 Keys for useful stuff.

Make CapsLock Fn+Shift and leave out that Japanese Key. That frees up 2 Keys for useful stuff.

Every UMPC sold in recent years, Japan has been the largest single market. So I have to disagree, they did their research and did the right thing IMO.

It's why GPD have been going to Japanese shows lately and are planning to do their first GPD User Meet in Tokyo on July 14th

Last edited:

I disagree. It is useful in an important and big market. Those who don't care can just remap it. The Pyra has a Usr1/Usr2 button in a very similar place.

I like the new setup - yes there are compromises on the keyboard layout, but it's better than it was.

I'm contemplating picking one of these up to be the new, "Only Windows machine in the house" role to replace my Gole1.

I'm torn. My current Pocket doesn't get much use as around the house, as I'll pick up the laptop with its bigger screen, 500gb hdd and UK keyboard, but the Pocket is handy to take places when I've limited packing space. The laptop could do with an update, but not sure if the Pocket 2 would be adequate to replace both the original Pocket and the laptop

Retail price around $750? Although it's cheaper if you don't want more local after sales support, or a guarantee of receiving a unit (although so far GPD have been perfectly safe in this regard at least), that's going to be the general price at launch at least. Seems the days of GPD producing borderline loss-leading stuff to build a reputation are past us now.

The Indiegogo prices for the Pocket 2 will be:

8GB/128GB First 1000 backers $599
4GB/128GB First 200 backers $529

after that, the prices will be:
8GB/128GB $639
4GB/128GB $569

The retail price still says around $750 in the product comparison table. I see now that we were talking at cross purposes here; in all cases where your sources said the price will be this then it will be this they were talking about the igg prices in both cases (the first a more limited price than the second). As I said before, if you're happy with not getting a real guarantee that you'll receive a unit, and getting repairs might well be more of a hassle, then those are valid prices, but if you don't want to take that risk they claim it'll cost you $750 give or take.

Yes, I was only ever referring to IGG prices. Retail will only be revealed when retailers start stocking it. ie what GPD post as RRP , often is not what it sells for. Also, there are two models which will differ in price. Pretty much no one is going for the 4GB version though

I think it's safe to expect the average retail price of the Pocket 2 to hover around $650 for the 8GB model, maybe around $700 would be the highest we'll see. Any shop pricing higher than that risks losing business to other shops that price more reasonably.

Back