GPD Pocket ready for preorder :)

Yes, I mean the Nvidia Shield Portable has a Tegra 4 in it - which is a quad core ARM Cortex A15. And it has a much bigger fan in it

Hey EvilDragon,
the Shop page says that the OS will either be Windows 10 or Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
How is this handled when ordering? Does everyone get a gpd pocket with Windows 10 installed and can install Ubuntu themselfs or do you have to choose during the ordering process?

Thank you
fishkopf

Has GPD shipped any Pockets with Ubuntu? I was under the impression that they were having driver issues?

I don't see the GPD Pocket as competition to the Pyra - that would be the GPD Win.

The Pocket is a small Netbook, not a handheld.

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk
Kind of O/T but related to your post, having lots of experience with the GPD Win, and the Pyra prototypes, how does the Pyra stack up physically? The specs are easy to argue, the OS is a lot of personal preference, but physically things we can't experience by looking at numbers or pictures.... like to hear your honest opinions. Also has your experience with the Win changed some of your design decisions or quality standards to raise the bar in certain areas of the Pyra possibly?

Game controls, keyboard feel (not layout/size because we know the layout on the win sucks), sound quality, materials in construction, hinge quality, feeling in the hands, (weight, size, temperatures etc)

Last edited:
Just my thoughts, but if ED wasn't as worried about quality as he is I suspect things wouldn't have taken as long as they have for the Pyra, and the thing would probably already be in our hands (with lots of flaws and possibly failures).

Just my thoughts, but if ED wasn't as worried about quality as he is I suspect things wouldn't have taken as long as they have for the Pyra, and the thing would probably already be in our hands (with lots of flaws and possibly failures).
sure, but my thoughts were there's variable levels of "good enough" referencing specifically the build quality of the pandora. A device with no competition means it sets it's own bar, people don't really have things to point to, to say, x is better than y in these areas. Things are as good as you want them to be and people will be more satisfied due to lack of things to compare it to. example... NES was a damn good system in it's day, but by today's standards people would shit a brick with the design flaws and limitiations of the system.

Time spent on a project is also very relative, being in development for an additional year wouldn't necessarily result in significantly less flaws.

Seeing how there is now a direct competitor to the pyra aside from the out of production pandora it's basically replacing, you would think your "good enough" now needs to meet and exceed that of what you're up against especially if your price point is higher. ED's niche is on quality over quantity. It would be upsetting to be one up'd by something that came out before it and was less expensive.

Last edited:
Well, the Win is a neat product, but the DPad isn't that great and the keyboard is horrible, in my opinion, especially when comparing it to the Pyra.
The case design and quality is pretty good, I'm happy if we can achieve the same quality with the Pyra.

One thing I like about the Pyra is the thickness. Yes, it doesn't fit your pocket as well, but I find it more comfortable to hold and use it over an extended period of time, but I got the same problem with most thin devices.
My hands hurt after playing about an hour with the new 3DS, same with the GPD XD or GPD Win. Doesn't happen with a GameBoy, Pyra or Pandora, as I find the thickness more comfortable to hold.

The Win certainly has some great advantages, as it's a standard x86. I can play Civilization 4 on-the-go, which is awesome :D
The OS of the Win is Windows 10, so it's already quite polished. The Pyra will need quite a bit of time to reach that, but once it does, it will probably be a lot more optimized abd better suited.

The Win itself hasn't influenced any of my decisions. Why should it?
Keyboard, gaming controls, features are all worse. :)

I totally agree on thickness of handhelds. The Pandora is a bit on the thin side for me, so the Pyra will be improved there for me. On the other hand, if I hadn't already made plans to carry my Pyra with me everywhere when I get it, possibly to replace a smartphone, the thickness could result in me leaving it behind. I think a thinner device (the Win?) wouldn't be as much of a problem. Less blockiness could make it more pocketable for those that aren't picky and are looking at these devices as gaming handhelds and tiny computers.

For me, there is a reason why I prefer using a brick GB, and that is that it is more comfortable for my hands to play on that for hours at a time. Most recent smartphones I have tried that aren't in thick cases feel like they want to jump out of my hands. I guess I prefer usability over portability.

I wonder which will come out first , the Pyra or the WIN 2. My guess is Pyra, but it will be interesting, I think the WIN 2 will be late next year at the earliest - GPD have said next year for the WIN 2, but I suppose it's fair to say things can change

Ok, just preordered! It's summer break here soon and I need a new toy :)
Hope it helps ED to some degree

Just a quick question. Is the CPU/GPU in the GPD Pocket a bay trail or cherry trail device? And can you just install a normal distro on the device? (So no locked down or confusing bootloaders or propietary X drivers tying you to a specific kernel version).

From what I can gather are these the CPU/GPUs that intel didn't want to support? (I already have one bay trail device and there's pretty much no support for linux -- video works, and that's about it; sound is broken, wifi is broken, battery dection broken, etc).

ljones

Got my GPD Pocket the other day, and love it. The keyboard takes some getting used to, but the size and form-factor of the device is awesome. I gotta say, this is really a nicely built product .. gonna leave Windows on it for a few days just because I haven't had a Windows hit in a while, but I think it'll become an Ubuntu system soon enough.

I'm just waiting for mine to land in the UK, looking forward to having a dabble

gonna leave Windows on it for a few days just because I haven't had a Windows hit in a while, but I think it'll become an Ubuntu system soon enough.

It is a great little device.

Linux on it is still not perfect though, from what I have understood sound is still bad but most other issues are solved with the latest kernel. I also like to watch some online video with it, so I am still holding off installing Ubuntu.

I've heard over at reddit.com/r/GPDPocket that the latest kernel from nexus511 has everything working smoothly - and also that the battery life under Linux is actually *better* than on Windows .. so there's that to consider. I'm gonna blow away Windows soon anyway, so I'll report back in a week or so with a report on my experience.

Had mine for a month or so now. It's bloody lovely, and positively spanks the Pandora's form factor into the next century. It's comfortable to type on, the mouse nub is ideally placed and easy to use and the overall construction is incredibly strong and all joints are flush with no creaks or gaps. The CPU is very fast, surprisingly so, and the screen is just incredible. Oh, and the keyboard is really, really good.

There are a couple of niggles with drivers and using a rotated tablet screen causes issues with older DirectX games in fullscreen modes, but for coding on the go (and SpecBAS, natch) this meets all my needs and then some. Having the full suite of Windows emulators available in your pocket is just awesome.

Won't be needing a Pyra now, and I never have to put up with Linux on ARM ever again - happy Dunny :)

Had mine for a month or so now. It's bloody lovely, and positively spanks the Pandora's form factor into the next century. It's comfortable to type on, the mouse nub is ideally placed and easy to use and the overall construction is incredibly strong and all joints are flush with no creaks or gaps. The CPU is very fast, surprisingly so, and the screen is just incredible. Oh, and the keyboard is really, really good.

There are a couple of niggles with drivers and using a rotated tablet screen causes issues with older DirectX games in fullscreen modes, but for coding on the go (and SpecBAS, natch) this meets all my needs and then some. Having the full suite of Windows emulators available in your pocket is just awesome.

Won't be needing a Pyra now, and I never have to put up with Linux on ARM ever again - happy Dunny :)

You're still going to port me FMN though right? ;)

Back