GPD Pocket

@Jumpman

I agree with you.

That said , at some point in time as Eight bit I think was getting at, it will become an issue. Tough to say when that point in time would be though. If it went to mid next year, then it probably would be an issue. But yeah , it's a tough balance.

Last edited:
I agree with that too jumpman, thats why I wrote it shouldnt be rushed. But some haste should be made nevertheless. The longer it takes, the more potential customers will have bought a device from "the competition".
I myself will just sit out the wait regardless.

At this point, while I completely agree a "balancing act" is the order of the day, and many things just can't be rushed, for rush sake. I think some videos of some working apps and Emu's would go a long way in keeping interest up, and calming the crowds over what could be a few months, to much more of a long term wait.

Those pics ED showed a few weeks ago of the screen quality where good to, and after viewing those, it made me want a clear case option even more. I'm sure some video's with those mostly complete cases and such, showing some games and other things would have a similar effect on people, and get some buzz going leading up to the release(however long that might be).

While I personally know a quality product is coming eventually(something I didn't know or 100% believe with the Pandora), I know for others who aren't as invested in this project, seeing some form of working operations could and would go along way in showing the Pyra's strengths, and why it might be the right device for them.

Chris

Dear Linus, please "thing" about the following quote: 'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.'

Regular time on the GPD Pocket Indiegogo campaign has ended. They will be doing the "In demand" thing though.

For the 60 day campaign , they got $3,052,901 from 7414 backers . It's sitting at the 20th most funded Indiegogo campaign ever .

Who would have thought a UMPC would be that popular in these days.

Despite the name, I don't see this as a pocket device - it's designed for five-fingered typing, not thumb typing.

That is correct, and a big reason why I'm excited about the Netbook/Subnetbook range of devices.

But No SD/uSd ?? What foul demon signed that pact with them? I can't even. Would not buy.

The Pocket is 180mm wide.
I had a Psion 5mx which was 170mm wide.

800px-2005-04-16_Psion_Serie_5mx_PRO_24MB_beschn_unscharf_scharf.JPG

I found it basically impossible to get any serious typing done. The key spacing was just too small.

Here's Pocket:

Last edited:
While this would be handy for people who want to type on the go with a desk, like on an airplane or train, or something like that, I still want to see a better clamshell device with integrated hardware keyboard. The Pandora/Pyra is the best device of its form factor with its functions and keyboard, and the keyboard on the GPD Win is just a little too wonky to be useful for extended periods. The GPD Pocket wouldn't be handheld either.

I think there is a potential resurgence of Pocket PC's like there was in the 90's, only with the advent of Cherry Trail and other super small processors, the functionality is far more than ever, less a PDA and more a fully portable PC. I remember when the first EEEPC Netbooks came out and how there was a huge craze for them, and then they kind of petered out... moreso likely due to the misunderstood demand for larger screens and keyboards resulting in manufactures just going back to pushing smaller laptops instead of netbooks.

I think it was the iPad and other tablet computers that put paid to the netbook fad. Even smaller and lighter, just not nearly as actually useful, but that's not important if your main use is to show off the logo on the back.

Yeah, I know the iPad wasn't the first, but it marked the beginning of a new wave of consumer focussed tablets based on a finger-based interface. It seems to mark when netbook sales started to scale back and new models became less impressive.

Yeah, I know the iPad wasn't the first, but it marked the beginning of a new wave of consumer focussed tablets based on a finger-based interface. It seems to mark when netbook sales started to scale back and new models became less impressive.

Exactly what happened. Every company was leaving the keyboard and started to produce ipad, iphone clones - afraid to miss the boat or being marked as outdated. Not sure if there will be a major comeback with the recent keyboard devices. Probably better if it stays a niche product produced by smaller companies.
I hope in the future we will see more modular built UMPC's and phones by enthusiasts or small companies. Something like the raspberry pi should be smaller and consume less power to make it really feasible right now, but who knows what is possible in 5-10 years.

After also having multiple read/write issues on my sd card slot on the GPD Win, I am guessing why they haven't bothered on the GPD Pocket...

I wonder what happened with the GPD Pocket Kickstarter ED talked about. Maybe it's still comming, though I do wonder if it's been canceled.

I knoiw the Chinese crowdfunding for the GPD Pocket will start on May 4th on JD.com

Back