GPD Pocket

They're taking legal action, yes, and are asking their distributors to not sell it (which I wouldn't have done anyways, as it is definitely a blatant ripoff.

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk

backlit keyboard though :)

And IR tracer pad instead of trackpoint and the slight difference or lack of right Alt & Ctrl cluster and a nice port & card port selection & different SoC/CPU & ...But yeah, they ripped off 95%+ of the Pocket's keyboard design. Otherwise they're about as similar/different as one big name notebook computer is to the next - which isn't very much if you think about it.

I would think that Lenovo would have more grounds based on the 'Yoga Hinge' claim.

Indeed, but are GPD not on dodgy ground against the macbook?
Because of the island keyboard? Oh wait, they didn't invent that...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiclet_keyboard

Or the metal computer body? Oh wait, they didn't invent that...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_laptops
Kaypro 2000
Possibly the first commercial IBM-compatible laptop was the Kaypro 2000, introduced in 1985. With its brushed aluminum clamshell case, it was remarkably similar in design to modern laptops. It featured a 25 line by 80 character LCD, a detachable keyboard, and a pop-up 90 mm (3.5-inch) floppy drive.

OK, I give up. What was so innovative about the Macbook that GPD copied?

Aside from those deep historical examples, I suppose the fact that it looks very much like one? The Kaypro 2000 looked bugger all like an MBP. And the keyboard looks remarkably similar, regardless of who actually invented it. I mean, when most people see the pocket, they don't go "oh wow, that looks like an HP with that keyboard" and nobody has yet to my knowledge claimed that "cor! look at that KayPro 2k ripoff!"

well, except you of course, who along with the wiki article author thinks a KayPro 2000 looks like a macbook.

They're taking legal action, yes, and are asking their distributors to not sell it (which I wouldn't have done anyways, as it is definitely a blatant ripoff.

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk

Must be falling on deaf ears, as all the usual suspects are selling it. Gearbest , Geekbuying etc.

Just curios did you ask them about the Yoga and that was their response. Or did they email you with that info?

They sent me a document to sign where I agree that I will not sell similar products comparable to GPDs products, and then I asked them if the reason for that is the YogaMix.
And I also asked if stuff like the Pyra or the Revo or similar handhelds are fine, as basically these can be seen as comparable as well.

I then got the confirmation that it's about the YogaMix and that they're following legal actions right now - and that Pyra, etc. is totally fine.

IF GPD really pulls that agreement through, it could be that GearBest, etc. will not receive new stock from GPD (they probably still have remaining stock to sell off).
Well, if GPD pulls it through, that is :)

Contacting sales channels and forcing them to exclusivity is a monopolistic practice that is illegal in some markets. Yes the devices are similar. So is the Gemini I am typing this on. They are also all different. Yeah, they should have done more to develop their own keyboard. But, numbers, letters, arrow keys are all in normal expected positions. The actual % of that keyboard that is a copy of non standard stuff is pretty small. I would suggest extreme caution before signing an exclusivity contract without a big enough check to refund all of your orders. I am not a lawyer though. Best to find one to review that paper.

They sent me a document to sign where I agree that I will not sell similar products comparable to GPDs products, and then I asked them if the reason for that is the YogaMix.
And I also asked if stuff like the Pyra or the Revo or similar handhelds are fine, as basically these can be seen as comparable as well.

Well, if GPD pulls it through, that is :)

There is a new Yoga Miix?
Would get that second part in writing.
Plot twist, Lenovo sides with Dragonbox to prove prior art ;)

I imagine their claim is something specific to the implementation that they have protected, not the whole thing though.

i imagine that the exclusivity is that GPD won't sell to EvilDragon anymore, if he would sell something they don't like. they don't have to sell to EvilDragon if they don't want to...

i imagine that there'd be companies i wouldn't want my product at if they were doing something evil, even if it was just something i considered evil...

[edit] though of course you can't discriminate based on protected categories, like LGBTQ, religion, etc. [/edit]

though i'm not a lawyer, so i don't know what's legal...

I then got the confirmation that it's about the YogaMix and that they're following legal actions right now - and that Pyra, etc. is totally fine.

Save and backup that confirmation everywhere... you'll never know if one day it could be useful...

i imagine that the exclusivity is that GPD won't sell to EvilDragon anymore, if he would sell something they don't like. they don't have to sell to EvilDragon if they don't want to...

i imagine that there'd be companies i wouldn't want my product at if they were doing something evil, even if it was just something i considered evil...

[edit] though of course you can't discriminate based on protected categories, like LGBTQ, religion, etc. [/edit]

though i'm not a lawyer, so i don't know what's legal...

That would be Coke telling a grocery chain that they won't provide them with Coke if they stock Pepsi on their shelf.

Or, if HP told Best Buy they will only let them sell HP laptops if they accepted not being able to sell Lenovo products.

Same thing, just a lot smaller scale.

Ed is an independent distributor of devices like this - and has been pretty agnostic to branding on the devices - even though he produces one of his own. If GPD feel that a product is infringing in some way, then they need to go after the producers of that product. To threaten a small shop like @EDs over whether or not he might sell a product from another company that exists only as a render is a big step to the dark side for GPD IMHO.

well, you mention grocery stores selling coke and pepsi, but when was the last time you saw a restaurant sell both? (just to be devil's avocado)

It's quite common really. Walls ice cream gave corner shops massively discounted freezers provided they only stocked Walls ice cream in them, and for such small stores you still quite often see Coca-cola branded shop signage and awnings, presumably with similar deals attached.

Hope I'm not resurrecting a too old a thread here. But I have a GPD pocket here. I managed to (just about) get linux going on it but have no end of problems. I'm finding that if I shutdown the device it dosen't quite finish it'll almost shut down and then just hangs. I did try some different acpi= settings in /etc/default/grub but the device is playing up even more now - apon boot it gets to the point just after showing system messages and then I get a blank screen and the fan starts running. I am thinking mine is broken :-(

ljones

You'll only really know if you try a previous partially working configuration and it doesn't work at all. If you've lost track of the number and type of changes you made, just reflash with the original distro and try retracing your steps from there.

Sounds to me like your system was halting rather than powering off. Try opening a terminal and issuing 'shutdown -P now' and see if that helps.

Unfortunatly I don't have the original distro on my machine or a copy any more. I'm guessing it might need some sort of command line kernel parameter to make it work properly but I don't know what!

Here's what I've tried, kernel command line parameter passed at boot time by grub

I did try acpi=noirq but that ended in a blank screen. It didn't seem to be "dead" as I could still press ctrl/alt/del and restart.

Leaving off anything to do with acpi= completely leaves a blank screen and the system hangs with the fan running full blast.

acpi=off does the same thing as acpi=noirq, but hangs. acpi=force did the same too but just made the few lines of text on screen a bit brighter.

I can't see anything to type shutdown -P now alas I am not even sure if the system gets that far.

BTW should point out this is on a newly installed debian system.

Next thing I tried was to go into the bios and chose "Load defaults" and saved them. The system got a lot further and I can get into the system and type and see stuff, but also get a rather nasty kernel crash.

I've attached the dmesg messages from my system but if you look around [ 5.555636] (just over 3/4 the way down to the bottom of the file) you can see a nasty kernel crash x.x . I did then try a shutdown -P now but it still hangs at the end, never shutting down.

BTW I know there's some missing firmware files for things like fw_sst_22a8.bin and the bluetooth but those shouldn't cause the system to not boot/crash?

Update: I managed to track down the missing firmware files with the exception of one , "brcm/brcmfmac4356-pcie.clm_blob" which I couldn't find anywhere. Still having the hang/won't shut down problem however and I still have the kernel crash :-(

This is the closest thing I could find online similar to the problem I am having. My kernel is a newer version - 4.19.0-2amd64 although I don't think I am having a charging problem its a shutdown problem. So maybe all of this is some sort of kernel problem? x.x

ljones

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    57 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Back