GPD WIN 2

The biggest difference seems to me to be moving the daft columns of keys to the right of the keyboard primarily to above the keyboard, which gets a thumbs up from me. That was the GPD Win wasn't it, not any of the other plethora of devices they've had out?

Well... yes. But if the screen really is 6", then it'll still be awkward to reach the keys in the middle, unless you have 15cm long thumbs.

I seriously doubt that. That was what was feared before the current WIN was launched. As I said back then , I had no issues with it in my mockups. And when it came out, I don't think I heard anyone mention they couldn't reach the centre of the keyboard. If there were , it wasn't many at all. I can certainly reach the centre of the keyboard no problems what so ever - actually I can reach way past that

To fit the 6" screen, they have only increased the width by 5mm. ie 2.5mm extra each side to reach the centre.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that. That was what was feared before the current WIN was launched. As I said back then , I had no issues with it in my mockups. And when it came out, I don't think I heard anyone mention they couldn't reach the centre of the keyboard. If there were , it wasn't many at all. I can certainly reach the centre of the keyboard no problems what so ever - actually I can reach way past that

To fit the 6" screen, they have only increased the width by 5mm. ie 2.5mm extra each side to reach the centre.

My wife went back to the Pandora (even though it's horrible slow these days for web surfing) because she can't type at all. She can't reach the middle, the keys feel horrible and the non-centered placement is useless.

I can reach the middle, but have to cramp my hands to do so, which is not comfortable.
Widening the keyboard will make this worse.

The GPD Win is a fine device, it's great for playing games like Civilization where only minimal typing is needed. But for anything that has to do with typing, I would seriously use ANYTHING else.

True... Doing some project 1999 on the train with my gpdwin, it's great, but the typing part is subpar... Not great for a mmorpg...

my biggest and really only complaint with the gpd win was the temperature it would reach while in moderate use, if they can keep that under control on the next version it will be a hit.

True... Doing some project 1999 on the train with my gpdwin, it's great, but the typing part is subpar... Not great for a mmorpg...

Yeah I think they have made the keyboard a lot better by removing the right columns of keys , making the keys much wider and changing the design of the keys to be better. I'm looking forward to trying it out

ARghhhh... why are all the number keys off-by-one? That is a muscle memory killer!
  • Move [ESC] to current [Insert/PrtScrn]
  • Move [~`] up to [+=] one position to the left
  • Move [Insert/PrtScrn] to current [+=]

Ed might want to get the Pyra out soon... Gpd win 2 could erode the user-base, potentially.

Not me...there is STILL no LTE inside this Device.

Maybe for an Playstation-2 Portable in my Use but i do not want Carry a second Device.
..aand the Pyra Keyboard is much better because EvilDragon asked for Community Wishes in the Past ;)

GPD Win2 look interessting for me but not more..
..i will stay on the Pyra :)

On my Gpd Win, i have some issues with PlayStation I Emulation: I don’t know how to Map the Controller correctly so no Rally Games or Final Fantasy for me
Gameboy GBC GBA SNES NES N64 works quite well out of the box
And I have lots more systems on my Pandora which I hope to play on the Pyra as they get portet for the Pyra which only have one Controller
On Gpd Win you use the Apps for Windows and there where lots of different Windows Systems out so not every App works ..

The Build in Keyboard is better than not having a Keyboard at all but I wouldn’t use it for more than maybe some short typing to insert my password

I hope they improve the feel of buttons, d-pad etc. It doesn't really matter if the machine is uber-powerful, can launch latest games, and has a battery that lasts for a week if the controls are not good.

I have no issues with the GPD Win being to large, in fact I find it too small but I can pick up a basket ball with one hand so I'm not a normal user.

:p

Sorry, I could not resist.
I know it may seem odd, but I DO like that keyboard layout and construction on the Win2. I would like it even better if ALL of the keys were shaped like the WASD ones. Overall, though, the layout is pretty decent. Worlds better than the GPD Win.

Overall it seems to be a pretty good layout. It is very close to a normal qwerty. The GPD Win had those side buttons in such a weird place. It is a massive improvement over that one.

Oh hey, the GPD Win also had the shift of the number keys. Is that taken from some specific regional layout or is it something they came up with themselves?

The GPD Win has literally only been out for a year. This makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Like winning a free dinner and all you need to do is hear about this great new service kind of uncomfortable.

Oh hey, the GPD Win also had the shift of the number keys. Is that taken from some specific regional layout or is it something they came up with themselves?
Looks like it just comes from putting Esc left of the number keys. A standard keyboard of most regional layouts I know of has Esc on the Fn key line. The Win1 didn't have a Fn key row, being limited to a 5 row keyboard. Fitting a six row keyboard in a device this size is pretty impressive, although it's fair to say I don't really have a feeling for how big this beast is. The photos show the whole layout of that bottom section including the game controls is quite impressively tight. The only real downside to me if they can pull this off is being forced to pay the windows tax on the hardware, I guess.

Back