GPD WIN 2

AMD indicates they're uneffected by this exploit.

E8urJ2W.png

Hmm, that's a pain. It kind of sounds as if it affects pretty much all intel processor. Normally, my intel bits and pieces are old enough that they're usually not affected by these recently discovered holes, even if it only affects those chips with this speculative look-ahead process. My Atom netbook uses a simpler branch predictor which might might be different enough to not be exploitable by the same bit of code, but my build server is likely to be targettable.

seems like arm64 also needs the kernel-page-tables fix, so i guess it's good to be 32 bits for the Pyra.

Phawx for the win! ;)
This is the kind of things that make me favor the Pyra: the struggle to open the device, then the struggle to remove the battery (around 11:00). It's just not built with the same goals in mind.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

While not GPD's fault there's a bug in the proverbial ointment that just showed up.

tl;dr:
Basically security features associated with the security of kernel memory that should be handled on die will need to be handled in software for both Linux and Windows to protect against an exploit associated with kernel memory access in speculative execution. This is expected to result in a rather significant performance penalty of around 15-30% associated with the memory paging and software mode penalities once the relevant security patches are pushed in the next month.

AMD indicates they're uneffected by this exploit. In turn Intel's going to need to delay Cannonlake for a good bit if they want to fix this issue prior to bringing Cannonlake to market, as this issue has to due to with parameters associated with how the CPU operates.

Now the NSA is pissed for their loss...

This is the kind of things that make me favor the Pyra: the struggle to open the device, then the struggle to remove the battery (around 11:00). It's just not built with the same goals in mind.

AND getting the battery: As mentioned, I'd love to sell GPD XD and GPD Win replacement batteries, but GPD can't ship them to me.
[doublepost=1514976668,1514976595][/doublepost]
Phawx for the win! ;)

Oh, geez... it's glued in again.
It's VERY easy damaging the case and battery while replacing it... and you don't want to damage a LiPo-Battery...

Oh, geez... it's glued in again.
It's VERY easy damaging the case and battery while replacing it... and you don't want to damage a LiPo-Battery...

IMHO, if they had to use adhesive, they should have glued it to the removable back cover instead of the system side of the unit. Then had a set of pads to connect to spring-loaded pins on the system side.

As to the adhesive use itself... Why? A simple pad could have kept it from rattling around - not that it has any significant room to rattle.

17 minutes to change a battery. Hey, someone with a developer Pyra - post up a <10 second video titled:
Pyra GPD Win 2 - How To Replace The Battery - Battery Replacement and Install Guide

It's for the same reason they used screws to hold the system together and also used plastic tabs to stop it separating. To make doubly sure they don't have to go through any more rounds of design than necessary for everything to hold together and work.

On the one hand, a battery glued to the lid would mean you could just buy a new lid and replace the battery at the same time, but I'm not keen on those kind of strangulation cords that surprise you when you open the lid of any new kit.

The most disappointing thing I noticed was how these twice batteries were oriented - they haven't got them so they can fit them around other parts of electronics, they're just doubling them up. Why didn't they get a company to make them a single battery that's twice as thick? That should be even higher capacity.

It's not going to be a user fast swappable battery. The video is to show that the battery can be replaced if it dies at some point in the future

Also, Wade has been saying yesterday that they are still looking at different batteries to use including bigger ones. So the whole battery thing is a bit of an unknown at the moment

IMHO, if they had to use adhesive, they should have glued it to the removable back cover instead of the system side of the unit. Then had a set of pads to connect to spring-loaded pins on the system side.

As to the adhesive use itself... Why? A simple pad could have kept it from rattling around - not that it has any significant room to rattle.

17 minutes to change a battery. Hey, someone with a developer Pyra - post up a <10 second video titled:
Pyra GPD Win 2 - How To Replace The Battery - Battery Replacement and Install Guide
Sometime I really want to troll back when I see this kind of comment, but I'm just going to quiet.

Pyra has swappable battery, GPD win 2 no, Pyra still needs some advantages, I already don't see much so it's at least the minimum to expect.

Sometime I really want to troll back when I see this kind of comment, but I'm just going to quiet.

Pyra has swappable battery, GPD win 2 no, Pyra still needs some advantages, I already don't see much so it's at least the minimum to expect.

Pyra does need it's advantages. The Win2 has some major advantages of it's own as noted above. Gluing the battery in simply means that the don't really intend for the end user to be able to service it.

The most disappointing thing I noticed was how these twice batteries were oriented - they haven't got them so they can fit them around other parts of electronics, they're just doubling them up. Why didn't they get a company to make them a single battery that's twice as thick? That should be even higher capacity.

Well, there is a nother reason which is shipping.
Please see this guide from UPS (it follows the international rules, so it's not specific to UPS:
https://www.ups.com/media/news/en/ca/intl_lithium_battery_regulations.pdf

Page 5 gives a good overview.
The important part:
Lithium batteries with >100 Wh or lithium-ion cells >20 Wh need to be shipped as dangerous goods whch increases the shipping costs a lot!

Now, the GPD Win for example has 3.8V with 6700mAh, which is 25,46Wh in a single cell!
So it would already needed to be declared as dangerous goods (though no one does that, as no one expects that in such a small device).

The GPD Pocket with a 7000mAh battery is even worse...

So, yes, having TWO batteries with 5000mAh each (or one battery with 10000mAh consisting of 2 cells or more) could be shipped without having to declare it as dangerous goods - but ONE single-cell battery with 10000mAh can't.

As more and more airlines start to thoroughly check the shipments, having two batteries or one multi-cell battery would be the only proper way to go to be able to ship the devices as normal shipment to customers.

Pyra does need it's advantages. The Win2 has some major advantages of it's own as noted above. Gluing the battery in simply means that the don't really intend for the end user to be able to service it.
I'm not referring to the relevant arguments you said but rather the comparison you made at the end about the time to remove the battery on the Pyra (come on, even the Pandora has swappable battery), of course we already know how convenient and good it is compared to the glued but easy to access battery.

Envoyé de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

The last time the battery came out of my Pandora, I lost about half of the bits of paper that hold it in place, so I wouldn't actually call that too convenient. The Pyra should have a much better fitted battery though, so that can still be a true advantage of the Pyra.

The last time the battery came out of my Pandora, I lost about half of the bits of paper that hold it in place, so I wouldn't actually call that too convenient. The Pyra should have a much better fitted battery though, so that can still be a true advantage of the Pyra.

Well, that was only an issue with Pandoras before the Rebirth Edition, as we've added padding to the battery case since then :)

Well, that was only an issue with Pandoras before the Rebirth Edition, as we've added padding to the battery case since then :)
Mine is a GHz model, and it does contain a little padding at the end of the battery where the contacts are, but I found it wasn't enough to keep the unit from rebooting when I carried it in my bag and walked with it. Now, with four wads of paper around the battery and a few on top between the battery and the lid, it only reboots now if I ever drop it. I'm hoping the Pyra is well enough fitted so I can at least walk with it in a bag on my shoulder without problems.

Is that so? I have a 1GHz Pandora which would reset all the time if it wasn't for the paper crammed into it.

Hm, it should, it works with both the unit of my wife and me, and we didn't receive many complaints after we started doing this.

Back