GPD WIN 2

It runs Linux very well, which is amazing for me. I looked into portable batteries that could charge it and they're insanely expensive right now and battery life isn't great as it is.

I might get one after the Pyra but I think the better battery life and ability to charge it with the same cheap portable chargers as my phone is more of a bonus for my use.

If the Pyra can't run everything I need because of it being ARM I might consider this handheld.

It runs Linux very well, which is amazing for me. I looked into portable batteries that could charge it and they're insanely expensive right now and battery life isn't great as it is.

I might get one after the Pyra but I think the better battery life and ability to charge it with the same cheap portable chargers as my phone is more of a bonus for my use.

If the Pyra can't run everything I need because of it being ARM I might consider this handheld.

Better battery life?, I wouldn't be sure of that at all. In fact, my money would be on the opposite. If you ran linux on the WIN 2 and set the WIN 2 TDP to that which gave a simlar or slightly better performance to what the PYRA could achieve. I bet the battery would last longer on the WIN 2.

Of course it wont really be known until both are out for a while

Last edited:
Better battery life?, I wouldn't be sure of that at all. In fact, my money would be on the opposite. If you ran linux on the WIN 2 and set the WIN 2 TDP to that which gave a simlar or slightly better performance to what the PYRA could achieve. I bet the battery would last longer on the WIN 2.

Of course it wont really be known until both are out for a while
You can clock down the win 2 chipset to TDP of 4.5w (or 3.5w?). The Pandora was 2w TDP? What is the TDP of the Pyra?

Last edited:
The Win2 at 2.75w is faster than the Win1 (and I suppose the Pyra too). I believe that The Phawx said it lasted around 8 hours 3D gaming at that TDP, so it could last probably much more for web-browsing / video / retro gaming.

Here's a shot:

GvDOA4n.png

You can clock down the win 2 chipset to TDP of 4.5w (or 3.5w?). The Pandora was 2w TDP? What is the TDP of the Pyra?
I believe the lowest stable tdp is 1w.

He said 8hours while taxing the Soc, so yeah should be even better for Web browsing or watching videos.

Envoyé de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

For me, the Pyra's always been more of an adventure, in seeing what porters like ptitseb and canseco and coders like notaz and exophase can come up with. Unless we lose those key people with nobody replacing them, the Pyra should still give us that experience. I just wouldn't get the same feels with an x86 device.

Well, going by the Pandora timeline, I'd say we're about 9 months to a year away from a Pyra general release.

This is, honestly, really testing my patience on the Pyra. I don't like that.
Good things come to those who wait... ?
Let's hope our patience will be rewarded. I feel sorry for @EvilDragon , the pressure is on.
I do think he needs to work extra hard on a fast release and more frequent news, if even tiny bits. People are losing/shifting interest.
Well, going by the Pandora timeline, I'd say we're about 9 months to a year away from a Pyra general release.
Let's hope it will be sooner than that.

The Pyra appears to be in the final stages of development. I don't think there's any way to speed it up now, as we're just waiting for the boards to be manufactured now. But it shouldn't take too much longer now!

The GPD Win 2 shouldn't be considered a direct competitor to the Pyra, as they have different use cases.

Dragonbox Pyra use case: Spending months making one thing work, then bragging to your friends about how you can do this one cool thing.

GPD Win 2 use case: Doing all the things.

I prefer the former because I like bragging. >_>

ED's argument was compelling in why he thinks it's different. He views the pandora/pyra as a static system, and the win(s) is more of a open system. Not to be confused with a closed system, but a system with catered software for it vs one that has none specifically ported/written for it.

Due to the nature of the fact most apps need ported for arm linux and in turn the pandora/pyra, and in that will likely be additionally packaged to the one file format (opk?) The win, or windows x86 is a wild west as far as what can/will/how they work.

The overarching use cases are identical in what is possible, and why we or some people might see it as direct competition. The isolation, and in where some might see it as no competition is in the specifics of how each system does what it does.

EDIT: now if someone were to make a one file format for the win (either in x86 linux or windows) and started packaging apps catered to the win systems, then that whole argument disappears. There is nothing technical preventing this from happening, but due to the general ease of getting x86 applications installed and configured, nobody will likely go through the troubles of making the system that would make both systems to be direct competition in this way.

EDIT2: although, I might do something like that in the future as a proof of concept, because I'm a troll like that =P The systems are extremely close to being in direct competition with each other.

Last edited:
The Pandora needed a special format because its SD cards are hotpluggable. We could have used to OSes package format (that's the OPK format) but that would mean the OS would consider itself partially broken in a few cases if you ejected that card. It also means all devs would have to have logons to a single FTP site, and had to promise not to delete everyone else's work (or only have a writable staging area and have someone paid to move files out). OPK files also didn't have a specification for screenshots and other nice bits and pieces, so we came up with the PND specification. This allowed files to be hotpluggable, and devs could self-host PNDs (although it quickly turned out, everyone went out and got a logon for the file archive, or eventually the pnd repo).

The Pyra file format built to fulfil similar requirements (but also a simple form of dependencies), but to not need anyone to write an XML file ever again I think. That's called the DBP system.

You've less need for a system like that on Windows because windows packages are either zipfile (with their lack of intrinsic screenshots or documentation), or you let Steam handle it all. Steam handles a lot of the same usecases that the PND system combined with the repo do.

These days zipfile (or more commonly, tgz files) work on Linux much like they do on Windows, but that was less case in days of yore. With less disc space, you couldn't maintain multiple copies of old libraries, but I'd guess most linux systems with gtk3 installed these days also have a copy of gtk2 for compatibility reasons.

Back