GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

My Post was more ironic,
It’s cool whe have this community and lots of discussion,
Even if something like a Keyboard Layout Discussion is something I wouldn’t need myself:
Whe could put the A.B.C... and the useful Symbols on the Keyboard and im Fine ^^

But the fact that whe can discuss that many, and there is a that much stuff to talk about is something the Pyra Project has, others don’t have...

Whit best regards, Matthias

Do we know what the currently planned layout of the GPD WIN MAX is then? I'm curious, but don't have the time to get involved in another one of these.

I actually kind of like the one from above - that @vcoleiro1 said was an older design. It has a physical tab key left of Q, decent sized Enter key - at a glance, I don't see anything major missing beyond insert, pause, print screen, scroll lock and num lock - the last two of which might not have any application to this keyboard itself but might make good 'hidden keys' so that they could be resolved to the OS if a user needs to. From a touch typing standpoint it looks pretty good.

Do we know what the currently planned layout of the GPD WIN MAX is then? I'm curious, but don't have the time to get involved in another one of these.

I actually kind of like the one from above - that @vcoleiro1 said was an older design. It has a physical tab key left of Q, decent sized Enter key - at a glance, I don't see anything major missing beyond insert, pause, print screen, scroll lock and num lock - the last two of which might not have any application to this keyboard itself but might make good 'hidden keys' so that they could be resolved to the OS if a user needs to. From a touch typing standpoint it looks pretty good.

Final kb will be more like below I think. Although they are still fiddling with key labels , adding media controls as function keys on the top row etc

1583533186752.png

I should say, just to avoid confusion. The WIN Max is not the WIN 3. The WIN 3 will come next year

The WIN Max is a new line of device GPD have started. It's a hybrid device . Basically a mix of the Pocket, WIN and MicroPC.

As far as they keep function keys as primary, I feel more and more attracted by this device.

But would have liked more Page Up/Down / Home / End as dedicated keys... on the Pandora are so damn useful for reading and for terminal stuff

9, I think?

GPD XD
GPD XD Plus
GPD Win
GPD Win 2
GPD Win 2 2019
GPD Pocket
GPD Pocket 2
GPD Micro PC
GPD P2 MAX

Btw, The Witcher 3 @30-60 fps isn't bad... I'm guessing, everything on low?
Impressive lineup, GPD was busy during the years. It's sad that a small western company does not have any chance to be as fast as the Chinese are with these devices. They just sit right at the source.
I guess the FPS is with minimum details. I've seen various benchmarks of the internal GPU on Notebookcheck, it's OK for lower screen resolutions and more simple games but of course nothing compared to a dedicated GPU.

Intel i5-1035G7
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 940

Still not sure how they will cool this device. The CPU/GPU can go up to 25Watt. That's actualy alot for such a small Handheld/Laptop.

But they were a bigger company, whit more Money, easy acces to chinese tech companys, and the GPD Handhelds may be a bit easeyr to make, as they ditnt have changable Batteries, or CPU Boards..
I'm pretty sure, if GPD just wanted it, they could make features like rechargabel Batteries and modular CPU boards easily and without major problems. The thing is: they don't want to.

Impressive lineup, GPD was busy during the years. It's sad that a small western company does not have any chance to be as fast as the Chinese are with these devices. They just sit right at the source.
I guess the FPS is with minimum details. I've seen various benchmarks of the internal GPU on Notebookcheck, it's OK for lower screen resolutions and more simple games but of course nothing compared to a dedicated GPU.

Intel i5-1035G7
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 940

Still not sure how they will cool this device. The CPU/GPU can go up to 25Watt. That's actualy alot for such a small Handheld/Laptop.

I'm pretty sure, if GPD just wanted it, they could make features like rechargabel Batteries and modular CPU boards easily and without major problems. The thing is: they don't want to.

Cooled with two fans, heat sinks and heat pipes

I want to be super prepared (I'm currently shopping around for a nice soft case and a hard case for it) for when I get a GPD WIN Max :)

You should also paint in blue the walls of his room, because they say it's more relaxing for him.

GPD WIN Max pricing should be announced in April, and the current plan is to start the Indiegogo campaign in May

Yes and no. They are also losing a lot of customers because of that, sadly.
Once they stop production of one device, they also stop production for replacement parts.

I've got quite a few angry customers who bought a GPD Pocket two years ago and now can't get a replacement battery anymore, so they can't do anything with it anymore.
Most of them said they'll never buy a GPD product again because of that.

The same thing happened with the GPD Win, though this had the additional issue that a lot of the original batteries died after half a year.
The GPD Win was pretty cheap though - but now with 800 EUR devices, you would be even more mad if you couldn't get a battery anymore...

If I would be them, I would've tried to keep the battery compatible. There's no reason the GPD Pocket 2 can't use the same battery as the GPD P2 Max or GPD Pocket.
It's all about designing the device around given components (like the battery). Then a lot more users would be happy..

Additionally, most if not all of their first batches seem to have issues:
GPD Win 1 had various BIOS issues and batteries that failed.
GPD XD Plus had a creaking case with non-responsive DPad.
GPD Micro PCs batteries died when the system ran out of battery while being in standby mode
The hinge of the GPD Win 2 often breaks (still the case with the most recent revision).

I'm also seeing this in the shop: GPD products sales keep declining.
I sold around 500 GPD Pocket 1 and GPD Wins. With the GPD Pocket 2, this was still around 100. The GPD Win 2 was pretty good (around 600 sales).
The GPD P2 Max had around 30 sales in my shop, the GPD Micro PC around 80.

It's nice to spit out new products regulary, but stopping support for the older ones WILL piss people off over time.
And it doesn't help that these new products aren't 200 EUR products (where you don't care that much if it dies after a while), but 800 EUR products.

Let's see how the GPD Max will fare. I can't imagine the controls are comfortable, but I can't say anything about that without testing :)

Strange, my GPD Win is still running fine, it’s now a Placeholder on my Desktop Setup until I get the Pyra , but maybe it’s depends on the Use whit the Batteries,
All these Truck Simulators like Rigs of Rods, Euro Truck Simulator, Farming SIM 2014 (whit cool Unimog Mods) , on this small formfactor ^^
But yes; this whit the not existing replacement parts is pretty bad..
Like „whe make this thing, sell them and forgive about them ... „
6d96642c107354fa14f24aebd8d46519.jpg

Whit best regards, Matthias

Edit: and the Win is my fastest Computer at home ^^

Reactions: rSl
Back