GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

Strange, my GPD Win is still running fine, it’s now a Placeholder on my Desktop Setup until I get the Pyra , but maybe it’s depends on the Use whit the Batteries,

Yes, I think the biggest problem was charging and playing at the same time, as that both produces heat and batteries die from that.

Maybe this was the case why my Win is still alive, I played mostly on Battery Power ,
I use it on my Setup as a Desktop PC on USB Power, for YouTube, Netflix and some Office Tasks
But maybe there aren’t that demanding to the Battery

The Reason that I got back to the Pandora as my EDC Computer was that I once wanted to play a bit Tetris on the Win on a Waiting Time at the „Friseur“ but the Win dit a Mandatory Update ^^

The Pyra will get my New EDC and Homeoffice Computer, as it’s don’t have these Mandatory Updates..

Whit best regards, Matthias

Reactions: rSl
If I would be them, I would've tried to keep the battery compatible. There's no reason the GPD Pocket 2 can't use the same battery as the GPD P2 Max or GPD Pocket.
It's all about designing the device around given components (like the battery). Then a lot more users would be happy..
Not only you. ^^ It should be no secret that a compatible or at least replacable battery is the best way to keep these kind of devices healthy for a long time. I also can't imagine that it would cost so much more to design thoese GPD Devices with that kind of parameters in mind.
My first classic Pandora battery still works by the way. ;)

Additionally, most if not all of their first batches seem to have issues:
GPD Win 1 had various BIOS issues and batteries that failed.
GPD XD Plus had a creaking case with non-responsive DPad.
GPD Micro PCs batteries died when the system ran out of battery while being in standby mode
The hinge of the GPD Win 2 often breaks (still the case with the most recent revision).
A good company should learn from their mistakes. GPD actualy designs interesting devices and obviously has capable employees. The first 80% of a GPD product is great, they just need to step further to get the rest 20% too. They waste their chances imho.

There are some new details in this article: https://www.gizchina.com/2020/03/16/gpd-win-max-official/

Games will then be displayed on an 8-inch H-IPS screen, with fifth-generation Corning Gorilla glass external coating and a viewing area increased by 133%. The display also has 90% DCI-P3 wide color gamut, DC dimming without flash screen and 500nits maximum brightness.
The screen of the GPD Win 2 had some problems with display flickering at low screen brightness, I hope that they fixed that with the new panel on the Win Max.

• M.2 NVMe / AHCI 2280 SSD, Socket 3 / Socket 2 dual-protocol interface, sequential read / write over 2000MB / s, unlimited storage space expansion;
  • Dual-channel LPDDR4 3733 memory, 16G ultra-large capacity, read, write, and copy speeds all exceed 60GB / s;
  • Built-in Thunderbolt 3 interface, support 2 4K / 60Hz monitors connected at the same time, external eGFX, can achieve the best gaming experience;
  • Built-in HDMI 2.0b high-definition digital interface, supports HDR, with the help of Intel SGX technology, can output 4K / 60Hz UHD BD video;
  • Support the latest Wi-Fi 6, 300MB / s high-speed Internet access, which is 2.77 times faster than Wi-Fi 5G;
  • Support Bluetooth 5.0, 3MB / s transmission speed, accurate positioning within 1 meter, long distance communication at 300 meters, can connect up to 7 Bluetooth devices;
  • 3 × 5000mAh / 57Wh large capacity polymer lithium battery, heavy use for 3 hours, moderate use for 6 to 8 hours, light use for 14 hours;
  • TDP adopts 15W, 20W, 25W three gears. When TDP is adjusted to 25W, the performance greatly surpasses the same configuration products on the market, maximizes the performance of the machine and meets various application scenarios;
  • A newly designed gamepad, a split-type arrow key, and a rocker recessed non-slip design, which support the L3 / R3 function by pressing down;
  • PC-class dual-turbine fan + dual heat pipe heat dissipation scheme, large displacement side-blow design, 9-hole high-speed heat dissipation channel;
  • 60W super fast charge, based on PD 3.0 fast charge protocol, can charge mobile phones, tablets, laptops and other multiple devices at the same time.

I think it is promising that they implement three TDP modes (at 15W, 20W and 25W), so that you can chose for example 15W for mobile gaming and 25W for a docked mode - without the need to dive deep into configurations as a common user.
I am also impressed by the SSD and the specs in general. I would not be surprised if this cost over 1200 dollar on the upcoming Indigogo campain. As a sidenote, I am looking forward to buy this device at the Dragonbox shop :oops:

For me personally, only the hinge and the battery are something that could turn me off. Hopefully, the device can be opened easily and the battery is more reliable this time. Also, supply of replacement batteries would be great. Sadly, Win Max will not have a webcam built in, something I would have liked in a laptop hybrid.
Anyways, GPD is doing a great job once again by developing this innovative device.

Hmmm, i did a quick search on ebay and the gpd site and replacement win and pocket batteries are readily available.Not really sure you should be slagging them off as the official German distributor.

GPD WIN MAX is going to be amazing :)

sudLLefxCBgm4FyqvvEfgR-970-80.jpg

7nCqvVyvFdHcQnWRR9BuZY-970-80.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, i did a quick search on ebay and the gpd site and replacement win and pocket batteries are readily available.Not really sure you should be slagging them off as the official German distributor.

Win 1 could be, as they produced a final batch and I don't know if that one has sold out yet, but it would puzzle me if GPD Pocket 1 batteries are available. As I have multiple customers worldwide who asked for GPD Pocket 1 batteries and I've addressed GPD because of that and they told me there aren't any available anymore.
Where did you find these batteries?

Looks pretty cool, and lots of Ports, more than my Thinkpad from 2011, and this was a Business Notebook sort of..
this PJ45 Port , is this Ethernet ? I mean this „Wlan Cable“??
But I will be strong, my next Computer is a Pyra ^^

Reactions: rSl
Win 1 could be, as they produced a final batch and I don't know if that one has sold out yet, but it would puzzle me if GPD Pocket 1 batteries are available. As I have multiple customers worldwide who asked for GPD Pocket 1 batteries and I've addressed GPD because of that and they told me there aren't any available anymore.
Where did you find these batteries?

Do you know any other shop? I am desperately looking for a battery, but droix doesn't ship to Germany

Droix probably has some remaining leftover stock from the last batch - probably because of their insane price (twice as high as the normal price for the battery).

The link to AliExpress didn't work for me - and searching on the official AliExpress site didn't show any Pocket 1 batteries for me as well.

Still, GPD doesn't have any, so it seems only Droix has a little stock left.

I love(d) my Win 1. I've played many games with it. It didn't have the battery life of my Pandora, but it could play games the Pandora couldn't (and still can't).
But then I had the impression that the back cover had a slight bump. After reading many posts about bulging battery I got scared, stopped using it and tried to find a replacement battery. It took me some time (and quite a lot of money for a battery).

In the meantime, I returned to my Pandora (which has its own share of problems with drifting nub and a broken shoulder button).

And when I received the battery, I disassembled my Win, and saw nothing wrong with the battery. I don't know if it's because it has problem or if it's because it's not very noticeable. So I re-assembled it and put it back in the storage since I had plenty of games in progress on my Pandora.

And now I still have many games in progress on my Pandora (and with box86 I might have a lot more to look forward to) so I have no major reason to return to the Win.

So yeah, these technical issues are a bit frustrating. I can live with, for example a broken button or a faulty USB port, but a battery that might or might not burst in fire or a hinge that might break every time you open/close it is something I'm less comfortable with.

I enjoyed my GPD Win 1 for quite some time, until I sold it and bought a used Asus Zenbook. When I got it I played some games like Rayman Origins, Olli Olli 2 or Steamworld. those worked quite well. What bummed me was that more demanding titles would make the unit go so hot it got really uncomfortable (e.g. Mirror's Edge). One other big downside were the forced updates on Win 10. Many times it took them a long time to get processed and then eventually fail anyways, so this was a real bummer. After switching over to Linux I could at least use it for watching Netflix and playing some Linux games, however some of these didn't work properly because of the screen rotation. So finally I sold it to get some mone for a used ultrabook. Since GPDs products tend to become more and more expensive with each iteration I guess I'll stay away. When my Zenbook's battery dies it's very likely I can buy a new one off the shelf. With a GPD product, as ED said, not so much.

Last edited:
Seems like my GPD Win 1 also got this Bend Issue: The Bottom of the Case is a bit bulky
So I decide to use my Thinkpad on Desktop instead of the GPD ..

Whiteout this Issue, I think this tiny PC was quite cool

Back