GPD Win ready for preorder!

I will probably receive a prototype next week, so I can make comparisons (size, usage, etc.) with the Pyra and show each others strengths :)
Maybe you can make a video. No need for high quality stuff, you could just film yourself doing similar things on each (like typing). I won't be ordering one anytime soon, and I am only interested in *nix.

There's no hurry here right now, and I also didn't really advertise it a lot at the moment.
Will the PreOrder be up until you can deliver the units from stock ?

I will probably receive a prototype next week, so I can make comparisons (size, usage, etc.) with the Pyra and show each others strengths :)
I woudl really like to know wether the keyboard is as bad as it looks..

I will probably receive a prototype next week
I may be interested in this device, a but it depends on three questions that I think can only be answered by someone like you (tech-savvy, in touch with the devs, runs his own HW development):

1. Can the device be unbundled from the Windows license? I know it comes bundled with a Win10 license by default. Is there a way to make sure, a device I buy would never show up in Redmond (or anywhere else) as a Windows copy being distributed?
2. Does it run Linux well? I know the preliminary answer ("In theory it could, but expect problems!"). Can you please throw some Linux distro at the prototype and see what works and what doesn't?
3. The battery isn't designed to be replaceable. Can you check please, if it would be feasible in the long run for you as a HW company to offer replacement batteries that can be replaced by users with basic technic skills (like holding a screwdriver the right way)?

1. Can the device be unbundled from the Windows license? I know it comes bundled with a Win10 license by default. Is there a way to make sure, a device I buy would never show up in Redmond (or anywhere else) as a Windows copy being distributed?

Hmm, I don't know whether it comes preactivated or not. But Windows 10 probably needs to be activated at some time, otherwise you could simply keep it offline.
Windows 10 is known to send tons of data to Microsoft once you go online though.

So when going online, you can't prevent that.
I would need to check whether you can keep the device offline forever or whether Windows complains about not being activated.

2. Does it run Linux well? I know the preliminary answer ("In theory it could, but expect problems!"). Can you please throw some Linux distro at the prototype and see what works and what doesn't?

I can try this after the Gamescom, as the chance is there that the device is bricked afterwards.
But yes, I'd love to try out ArchLinux myself.

3. The battery isn't designed to be replaceable. Can you check please, if it would be feasible in the long run for you as a HW company to offer replacement batteries that can be replaced by users with basic technic skills (like holding a screwdriver the right way)?
[/quote]

Well, with the GPD XD, the battery is taped into the case and impossible to remove.
I will check that, but I guess they did the same with the GPD Win.

Hmm, I don't know whether it comes preactivated or not. But Windows 10 probably needs to be activated at some time, otherwise you could simply keep it offline.
Deleting Windows would be the very first thing I'd do on this device, but the license would probably remain in the UEFI, as it seems to be the case with Windows 8.
I really don't want any MS license near me.

But yes, I'd love to try out ArchLinux myself.
Thanks!

Well, with the GPD XD, the battery is taped into the case and impossible to remove.
I will check that, but I guess they did the same with the GPD Win.
That sounds sad.

Deleting Windows would be the very first thing I'd do on this device, but the license would probably remain in the UEFI, as it seems to be the case with Windows 8.
I really don't want any MS license near me.

Are you sure that's the case?
You can buy UEFI PCs without any OS preinstalled, and I doubt you would automatically have a license with that.
And if it's installed in the UEFI later on, it should be able to be removed as well.

Or is there some serial number included in the UEFI which will be registered with Microsoft once Win10 is activated?

But then it shouldn't be known until you first boot up the unit.

Does someone know?

That sounds sad.

Yes, it's annoying. If I have a broken battery in the GPD XD, I need to replace the full case backside as well.

And if you don't mind, can you tell us if the RAM is soldered ?

Pretty sure it's soldered, but will check.

You can buy UEFI PCs without any OS preinstalled, and I doubt you would automatically have a license with that.
And if it's installed in the UEFI later on, it should be able to be removed as well.

Or is there some serial number included in the UEFI which will be registered with Microsoft once Win10 is activated?
Of course, there's UEFI hardware without any OS. But if it's designed to come with a bundled Windows 8/10 license, then that license (or some key related to it) is stored in the UEFI right away and it seems to be hard to remove that. In contrast to previous Windows versions, these "embedded" licenses seem to increase Microsoft's sales counter right away, so the license activation is a mere formality.

At least that's what I've been told by an online shop that sells refurbished laptops, and usually makes the bundling of the OS optional. When I noticed, that the option was gone for all Win8-generation devices, I asked them why they don't offer to unbundle the license anymore and got the answer, that it's technically not possible for them.

I don't remember the details, but I believe I've read something similar on IT news sites at the time when UEFI/Secure Boot was introduced. Various Linux distros struggled to get their keys registered and along that it was reported, that Windows keys were more or less hard-coded into the system.

In 2010 I had a very tedious process of buying a Dell laptop without a Windows license, although it was even advertised to be available without one. At that point I decided to never again buy any computer where the vendor didn't offer me a simple and reliable way of not getting a Windows license.

Luckily, all UEFI systems I got so far offered the possibility to disable UEFI...
Then I guess these are rather old systems (by IT time scales).
What UEFI systems usually do is a BIOS emulation. So it may look like a BIOS to you (and the OS), but it's actually running UEFI nevertheless.

But that's not what I'm concerned with. My point is more philosophical. If I buy a computer with a Windows license, then MS will use my bill to "prove" their made-up market share figures. And with these figures they will further constrain my choice for free (as in freedom) software by derailing standards, making "special" contracts with hardware manufacturers and political lobbying.

Historically, most of my PC purchases have been second hand, and I've blatted off the copy of Windows with whatever favour of linux I was trying out at the time. I don't really care about whether MS think I'm running their OS of not, although I guess simply through buying second hand I'm not contributing to their sales figures.

I've actually been considering a new laptop and the place I'm pricing it up at gives the option of having no OS preinstalled. Whether it still gets a key I don't know, but I know you save a little money by ditching the OS install.

Surely the units sent in to distributors would come with Windows 10 already activated. That'd be a big downside for either the distributors or the buyers to have to take any such steps.

Maybe ED should ask GPD if they can sell him any units without OS installed. They might not like this if it makes it harder (or impossible) to fully test the unit, or it impedes with their normal production flow. Maybe they'll do it for an increased price and/or accepted increased risk of failure.

GPD needs any community input they can get. Intel won't change their ways, but certainly we need more distributers to be on the side of their customers. GPD as a medium sized company, will be both important and benefiting from such a move.

Surely the units sent in to distributors would come with Windows 10 already activated. That'd be a big downside for either the distributors or the buyers to have to take any such steps.

Maybe ED should ask GPD if they can sell him any units without OS installed. They might not like this if it makes it harder (or impossible) to fully test the unit, or it impedes with their normal production flow. Maybe they'll do it for an increased price and/or accepted increased risk of failure.
ED already seems to get a high percentage of units with problems from their already shipping products. I think it might be valuable to potential customers to have a Linux or no OS option available from ED and link if Linux works well enough on it with minimal troubleshooting.

Back