GPD Win ready for preorder!

Given that some of the normal PC software and games can be quite large, I am a bit concerned about the storage size of 64GB and only expandable by another 128GB via micro SD card... Can you check to see if larger SD cards work?

Given that some of the normal PC software and games can be quite large, I am a bit concerned about the storage size of 64GB and only expandable by another 128GB via micro SD card... Can you check to see if larger SD cards work?
Make that 64GB 40. That is how much it gives with the Surface 3. Only if we had the OpenPGS project... :p
Ps : I also remember that when I asked it here on this forums, I got an answer which states that models with larger memory will be available at launch. (after the preorders I guess.)

I believe it can take up to 256GB. They just don't want to commit to endorsing greater sized cards they haven't tried. My understanding is you get 50GB free space from the 64GB, then there is that uSD slot plus two USB 3.0 ports for thumb drive expansion if you need it

The testing unit I have had 40GB free, and they're using that weird Windows 10 compressed ISO installation which has horrible loading times sometimes (waiting to start LibreOffice sometimes took 45 - 50 seconds) and sometimes uses up to 50%CPU.
I hope that will swich to normal Windows 10 - I don't think it could eat much more than 24GB anyways...

Regardless of the 10MB discrepancy, I'd rather choose speed/loading-times over internal storage space. I can choose to only install necessary programs/games that I'd like to run, plus I can always choose to slip in usb sticks and SD cards. I'd rather not have a hampered system to boot. ;)

The GPD Win has some inherent limiting factors, and now they have ditched the passive-cooling, which I'm okay with. I'd just rather get as much performance out of it as I can. If they give me a slower, compressed version of Windows 10 (the worst version since Win ME) to top it off? Then it's reformatting time....

Regardless of the 10MB discrepancy, I'd rather choose speed/loading-times over internal storage space. I can choose to only install necessary programs/games that I'd like to run, plus I can always choose to slip in usb sticks and SD cards. I'd rather not have a hampered system to boot. ;)

The GPD Win has some inherent limiting factors, and now they have ditched the passive-cooling, which I'm okay with. I'd just rather get as much performance out of it as I can. If they give me a slower, compressed version of Windows 10 (the worst version since Win ME) to top it off? Then it's reformatting time....

They haven't ditched passive cooling, in fact they made that better now in the final version to be released, the heatsink will be copper instead of Aluminium.

It's strange, as soon as people saw it will have a fan, something seems to have clicked in their head to suggest it wont have passive cooling anymore. It will have passive cooling, and it will be better than initially speced.

It's strange, as soon as people saw it will have a fan, something seems to have clicked in their head to suggest it wont have passive cooling anymore. It will have passive cooling, and it will be better than initially speced.
There is nothing strange in being realistic, GPD put the active cooling in the WIN for a reason, which means the fan will be running - and they surely will be quite conservative when configuring the parameters for the fan control. And there is still the loss of the second speaker and the gain in weight.

The passive cooling is worse with a fan in there - as the space for the fan could've been used for more copper.
But once you tried the prototype, you can fully understand why they added the active cooling...

@thatgui - My comment was in relation to people thinking the passive cooling option was removed since they added the fan. That isn't the case.

@ED, nope, the heatsink is the same size as the the previous aluminium one in the fanless WIN design. The fan is on the bottom and fans through a hole in the board towards the heatsink on the other side. It doesn't take any space from the heatsink.

As I said, the passive cooling only got better, not just because of the change to copper, but also because they have now added a lot of extra vent holes.

Last edited:
@thatgui - huh. My comment was in relation to people thinking the heatsink was removed since they added the fan. That isn't the case.

@ED, nope, the heatsink is the same size as the the previous aluminium one in the fanless WIN design. The fan is on the bottom and fans through a hole in the board towards the heatsink on the other side. It doesn't take any space from the heatsink.

As I said, the passive cooling only got better, not just because of the change to copper, but also because they have now added a lot of extra vent holes.

It's not a passive cooling computer once you introduce a fan. Then it's actively cooled.
[doublepost=1472023586,1472023475][/doublepost]Is my Pandora passively cooled? What if I drill holes in the case and add a fan inside the case to vent out heat (and hopefully not recirculate it)? What is it then?

It's not a passive cooling computer once you introduce a fan. Then it's actively cooled.
[doublepost=1472023586,1472023475][/doublepost]Is my Pandora passively cooled? What if I drill holes in the case and add a fan inside the case to vent out heat (and hopefully not recirculate it)? What is it then?

The WIN has a manual switch for the fan, so you can use it with, or without the fan. It has the option for either passive only or active . You said they ditched the passive cooling , they didn't . It's still there and a very real option to use.

Mind you, just to be clear, I wasn't having a go at you, What you said is something I've seen a number of people say . For some reason, it seems to be an association thing that people automatically assume the addition of the fan means the passive cooling option is gone. That's no ones fault, to be honest, GPD should have explained things better once people started making that assumption.

Last edited:
They haven't ditched passive cooling, in fact they made that better now in the final version to be released, the heatsink will be copper instead of Aluminium.

I never said that they were removing their heatsinks. That would be catastrophically bad. They tried it and still saw high temps and realized that they needed EXTRA cooling solutions. Hence the removal of a speaker to add room for a fan and vent. I'm okay with the decision. Whatever works to get us a more viable product. I pre-ordered BOTH from Ed's shop (GPD Win & Pyra). I'm not complaining. I'm merely stating what I believe to be factual. I'm much more harsh on Vaporware like the Smach-Z and the PGS.
[doublepost=1472025133,1472024881][/doublepost]
The WIN has a manual switch for the fan, so you can use it with, or without the fan. It has the option for either passive only or passive plus active. You said they ditched the passive cooling , they didn't . It's still there and a very real option to use.

Mind you, just to be clear, I wasn't having a go at you, What you said is something I've seen a number of people say . For some reason, it seems to be an association thing that people automatically assume the addition of the fan means the passive cooling option is gone. That's no ones fault, to be honest, GPD should have explained things better once people started making that assumption.

That was weird timing. I posted at the same time as you. Strange.

I was unaware of the manual, selective switch to add active cooling. Maybe it's a matter of semantics. I never meant that the passive cooling would be removed, but I didn't know that the active part would be selective. Funny thing....

Well I hope you got a two for discount :p

The next WIN prototype should be interesting, they have made a number of changes from the fanless Z8700 version ED has. One speaker is gone, which was a trade off, but that is a minus, however, there will also be the following upgrades/changes:

1) Copper Heatsink instead of Aluminium

2) It now comes with a higher Amperage charger

3) SOC has been upgraded to the Z8750 (The Z8750 fixes a number of issues with the Z8700 apparently, as well as having higher burst frequencies)

4) Fan has been added with an on/off switch

5) Bottom case is now 1.5mm deeper

6) The HDMI port has changed to mini HDMI

7) Battery has been upgraded to 6900mAh from 6000mAh previously

8) A lot of extra vent holes have been added

@vcoleiro1 - Thanks for the levity. Not sure of any discount...maybe I got one, but I didn't ask for one. I have no idea. If they're constantly pushing the limits of it? Then history is on the side of my wallet. I just trust ED and I want to see both products in my hands. If I had to choose one device? It would be the Pyra.

It's fun to see the progress of these ventures and to learn as much as I can.

@vcoleiro1 - Thanks for the levity. Not sure of any discount...maybe I got one, but I didn't ask for one. I have no idea. If they're constantly pushing the limits of it? Then history is on the side of my wallet. I just trust ED and I want to see both products in my hands. If I had to choose one device? It would be the Pyra.

It's fun to see the progress of these ventures and to learn as much as I can.

For me, I'd even like to see the Smach Z and PGS (yeah I know) come to fruition. The more the merrier for a tech junkie like myself :)

Last edited:
I hear ya. I've grown up with portable game machines. In elementary school I had Mattel Baseball & football games... little blinking lights, then in my teens, the GameBoy and they just got better. The PSP was a game-changer in 2006...I hacked it with a "pandora" battery (coincidence?) and loaded up the homebrew games. I had home gaming rigs and laptops but ALWAYS wanted a smaller, more portable option. I stumbled upon the Pandora (cc) in early development and was intrigued. I own a 1GHz unit and love it. Maybe it's just me, but I've always wanted just ONE, singular device to do things, rather than lugging around a bunch of crap to do the rest of the stuff that I need to do. The Pyra could be IT.~

...and by "I hear ya"? I do. I love competition. It makes for better products. If the Smach Z & the PGS actually get built? It will be great for the industry. It might prove to the bigwigs that we do matter and we do have a voice...we're voting with our wallets. I don't want companies to fail, I just don't want companies to prey upon gullible people. What PGS has done is borderline criminal and Smach-Z is getting close. They better start acting like a real company and soon.

Last edited:
@thatgui
@ED,..It doesn't take any space from the heatsink.
I think what ED meant, was something in the vain of the space the fan occupies could have been used to enlarge the passive cooling (for the lower specced SoC).

The WIN has a manual switch for the fan, so you can use it with, or without the fan. It has the option for either passive only or active . You said they ditched the passive cooling , they didn't . It's still there and a very real option to use.
Depending on how they implement it, that could worsen the situation - if they take the easy route there will be no temperate/fan speed curve,just a simple FAN ON/OFF, which means you would have to actively monitor the SoCs temperature in order to know whether you either need to stop what you are doing or to activate the fan.

@thatgui

Something seems to be getting lost here. I'll say it again . The fan is on the opposite side of the PCB to where the Heatsink is - the size of the heatsink is not impacted at all by the fan. In fact, the heatsink goes right over the area where the fan is on the opposite side

As for the fan, you wouldn't need to stop what you are doing in any event, the SOC still has thermal management.

Last edited:
Back