GPD Win ready for preorder!

@thatgui
@ED, nope, the heatsink is the same size as the the previous aluminium one in the fanless WIN design. The fan is on the bottom and fans through a hole in the board towards the heatsink on the other side. It doesn't take any space from the heatsink.
Once they actually tried the solution they had in mind, they found it not to be viable.
For the volume the promised case brings, one would ask of GPD to arrange its internals to meet the promise they made. Yes users can understand why that didn't pan out, but that makes it no less upsetting.
As I said, the passive cooling only got better, not just because of the change to copper, but also because they have now added a lot of extra vent holes.
But it could have been redesigned, like they tried to do with the metal bottom. You could argue that it turned out too expensive, and that they ditched a speaker in the internal design to cram in a fan after the fact, making it not a good passive, nor a good active, but a combination of the two.

If it was "possibly passive", any improvement on a claim you are supposed to gauge yourself is positive, this is good, as in better, than coming up shorter, but nonetheless unfortunate.

It's not a passive cooling computer once you introduce a fan. Then it's actively cooled.
[doublepost=1472023586,1472023475][/doublepost]Is my Pandora passively cooled? What if I drill holes in the case and add a fan inside the case to vent out heat (and hopefully not recirculate it)? What is it then?
The Pandora is passively cooled. Holes would mean active convection if done right.

The WIN has a manual switch for the fan, so you can use it with, or without the fan. It has the option for either passive only or active . You said they ditched the passive cooling , they didn't . It's still there and a very real option to use.

Mind you, just to be clear, I wasn't having a go at you, What you said is something I've seen a number of people say . For some reason, it seems to be an association thing that people automatically assume the addition of the fan means the passive cooling option is gone. That's no ones fault, to be honest, GPD should have explained things better once people started making that assumption.

The dedication to it is gone.

"The passive cooling", isn't GPD's idea of what that entitled, at some point, its how the system was sold. Now its like a electric car with a generator onboard. You buy an EV, you get a hybrid.

If what you want is an EV, and you get a hybrid with a generator in place of stereo sound, it is not only more options added.

Last edited:
I'm not sure passive cooling would've helped with the Intel SoC.
It seems like it would've delayed the heating, so you wouldn't experience frame drops after 10 minutes but after 20, but the fan is pretty much mandatory.
As you can switch it off, that's the best solution they can offer.

My only complaint would be the missing second speaker - but then again, the speakers in the GPD Win are a LOT worse than in the GPD XD, so it's not a huge loss.

What I think is funny is that with all the copper and bigger battery added, it'll be probably as heavy as the Pyra (which is perfectly fine with me, I have no issues with 400g :))

@thatgui

Something seems to be getting lost here. I'll say it again . The fan is on the opposite side of the PCB to where the Heatsink is - the size of the heatsink is not impacted at all by the fan. In fact, the heatsink goes right over the area where the fan is on the opposite side

I guess we are talking cross-purposes: its not about the fan chewing off room for the heatsink, just that instead of cramming in the fan they could have removed the speaker anyway and put some additonal heatsink there - but in the end, it wasn't my idea, I just tried to clear up a misunderstanding between you and ED - at least I thought there was one.

As for the fan, pretty sure it's not a dumb implementation from what I've read. Also, you wouldn't need to stop what you are doing in any event, the SOC still has thermal management.
Time will tell. But yes, I would still need to stop what I am doing as thermal management means throttling the system, which means system performance will go down, which means I won't be able to do what will drive the system temperature up in the first place: playing games.

Well I just preordered mine through DragonBox Shop. I tried waiting for Ithic (Is that "Link" that you speak of?), but their site has been under construction for at least a month and I didn't want to wait anymore. Plus EvilDragon gets the money directly. I'll be curious how the less expensive shipping works out.

Very good heat IMO. In this aspect I think maybe I will miss a fan on the Pyra... But I want to see first some video of the Pyra at 100%.

. But I want to see first some video of the Pyra at 100%.
I want to simulate it on the devboard, but having trouble getting any games with 3D working outside of RTCW as I have to compile from source and I'm not a wizard like ptitseb. I don't think RTCW would push the CPU enough to hit 100% utilization.

maybe you should hook it up to the interwebs and give ptitSeb a login... (though i guess ptitSeb has one, too?)

Very good heat IMO. In this aspect I think maybe I will miss a fan on the Pyra... But I want to see first some video of the Pyra at 100%.

That's cooler than my netbook is on watching that video! But then, that machine is five years old and couldn't play 720p videos at all when it launched.

SFV played at that low framerate makes it look a little bit more like the sprite-based streetfighters of old, although perhaps the stopmotion of Ray Harryhousen is more accurate. Neat either way, although it doesn't seem to help the players competitive edge.

Pretty impressive to think it could even play Street Fighter 5 - I guess that was the test. SF 5 was only released this year.

Last edited:
Voucher preorder is a yes. Last I heard there was some iffiness on which CPU will be shipped to which customers, so you might want to wait on official word from either ED or GPD.

Seems to be confirmed that its the 8750 w/fan that will be shipped to customers.

"Prototype have 3 different ver: 1/8500 fanless ver; 2/8700 fanless ver; 3/8750 fan ver. But the final customer ver is 8750 fan ver."

Seems to be confirmed that its the 8750 w/fan that will be shipped to customers.

"Prototype have 3 different ver: 1/8500 fanless ver; 2/8700 fanless ver; 3/8750 fan ver. But the final customer ver is 8750 fan ver."
I am not following this very closely, however the last I heard was that Chinese customers would get the 8750. There was talk of difficulty getting enough of them for all customers, and that the 8700 might be used for the rest of the world. I don't know if things have changed since I read that.

In other news, GPD have said that shipping to JD.com - chinese crowdfunding backers , has now been completed. There were about 2400 backers on JD.com

I am not following this very closely, however the last I heard was that Chinese customers would get the 8750. There was talk of difficulty getting enough of them for all customers, and that the 8700 might be used for the rest of the world. I don't know if things have changed since I read that.

Seems its the 8750 that is going out globally. Both Geekbuying and Indiegogo have updated their preorder sites to state that its the 8750 they are shipping. So pretty certain thats what ED gonna be shipping out too. I hope so atleast since I already put in my preorder with him :p

Nice. Then I should get my GPD Win in another month or two. Things are progressing there at a slightly faster pace than here, but that's TOTALLY to be expected. I'm a Pandora owner and fan from way back in the beginning, and I expect the 2 months, or 2 years, or whatever...good things come to those who wait. (stares through glass)...I'll get my Pyra when it's out of the oven....then after it's cooled and tested and shipped. I love this community and it's products because it brings out the kid in me again. Like I'm waiting for Christmas Day, to unwrap my present(s).

The parts that need to be tested and made, the time that passes...oh the waiting is the hardest part.

Sadly not. I received word from GPD today that all devices delivered now will have the 8700, as the 8750 has some stability issues... they will talk with Intel about that, but for the moment, they'll use the 8700

Sadly not. I received word from GPD today that all devices delivered now will have the 8700, as the 8750 has some stability issues... they will talk with Intel about that, but for the moment, they'll use the 8700

Ah, that's a shame. Any word on when we can expect it to be shipped?

Back