GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

I'm sure with VAT it will reach that high.

On a different note, it seems the Japanese crowdfunding campaign was run by Midoriya (http://www.midoriya.co.jp/eng/) which is a local Japanese company. From what I can can gather, they have an agreement to not just distribute the WIN in Japan , but also ensure it meets Japanese compliance requirements.

I think the crowdfunding was more an intro to the company and a , hey, we will be selling this later.

Last edited:
Does it run Linux (with free drivers)? As long as it only runs Windows, they can as well sell it for 1 USD and I won't buy it.

Does it run Linux (with free drivers)? As long as it only runs Windows, they can as well sell it for 1 USD and I won't buy it.
Well there should be no reason that it isn't possible. At least they have Free 3d Drivers (But Closed Graphics Firmware AFAIK and probably an Closed BIOS/UEFI).

So after the Japanese crowdfunding sold out of the 50 WINs they had on offer in a number of hours. They finally decided to reopen the Japanese crowdfunding , this time with no limit.
So far, after about an aggregate of 2 days, they have gotten 274 backers on Makuake and still going strong

The Indiegogo was closed a while back, it ended up with 1889 backers.

They have also started taking pre-orders via sites like Geekbuying.com. It's unknown how many pre-orders these sites have taken, they don't report them.

In a couple of weeks, the Chinese crowdfunding will start.

n a couple of weeks, the Chinese crowdfunding will start
Interesting order of offering... either inside China there is so much junk being offered that nobody would look at it and they need momentum from other countries in order to lure in Chinese preorders, or, they just did online croudfunding/preorders which just happen to be non-Chinese...

There prime market is international for sure. But I alsothink with the history of their Chinese crowdfunding, that there usually is a very small time between the end of the campaign and fulfilment. I think with the XD it was 15 days, with the WIN they say 40 days. So that probably dictated the order more than anything. I suspect they will get a few hundred orders from China. Hard to say. Who would have guessed that out of the 2163+ WIN orders so far , that 1319 would be from Japanese backers. ie 61%

Last edited:
The market for Handheld Computers still seems very small. Together with the Pyra only ~3000 Preorders so far. I wonder if Sales go up when they are available from Stock.

The market for Handheld Computers still seems very small. Together with the Pyra only ~3000 Preorders so far. I wonder if Sales go up when they are available from Stock.

Here is the WIN poll result for those who are waiting on reviews, it was done a little while ago, you can see most people are waiting on it to release and to read/watch reviews first.

But yes, I think you are right, the clamshell UMPC market is no where near what it used to be.

Did you back the GPD WIN on Indiegogo?

No, I'll watch and read reviews after it launches and decide then to buy or not - 29 votes (53.7%)

On a different note, it looks like GPD are having trouble getting the Z8550 after Intel announced it's getting out of the SOC market. Because of this, they look like they may have to use the Z8500.

Last edited:
Here's some more pics of the GPD WIN prototype:

A832YYn.jpg

SXdGWl8.jpg

DKUfwHP.jpg

XlFKuJj.jpg

Last edited:
The fonts are really small! Why the screen looks smaller than the keyboard /gamepad part?

The fonts are really small! Why the screen looks smaller than the keyboard /gamepad part?
Part of that may be due to how close the camera was in that last pic, so the screen is further away than the keyboard part. I am surprised at how small the screen looks, though, with more space than I expected between screen edges and lid edges.

Another thought: Since it is curved on the sides the lid might actually be smaller than the base, but I didn't think it was. Regardless, the display does seem a bit small (and is the same size as the Pyra display).

It's aspects and angles. If you look at the pic below for example, the lid looks bigger than than the bottom gamepad bit. It's just the way it's photographed. In relaity they are the same size as shown in previous pics in this thread.

CIdrTKF.jpg

[doublepost=1465294008,1465283465][/doublepost]One more that popped up:

uufxqbeynff2fj0jxm8h.jpg

[doublepost=1465294543][/doublepost]

First video of the GPD WIN Prototype

Last edited:
First video of the GPD WIN Prototype

Looking at this makes my hands hurt :(

I'm going to have to reiterate what ED said earlier, the placement of the controls relative to the keyboard looks uncomfortable. And in the best case you pretty much have to have your palms and even thumbs hitting a bunch of keys to make it anywhere close to usable.

Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing that at all. In other demoes of them holding the WIN with thumbs on the controls,it seemed fine with clearance shown - ie I think it's just the camera angle in the video. Not that I'm concerned about hitting the keys, they require a lot of pressure on a small area to press judging from tests I did on similar keyboards I own - part of the fleshy base of your thumb resting on them is not enough to press them. Not seeing the huge difference between the control placement, keyboard etc between it and the Pyra. There are differences sure, but not really seeing all that huge a difference.

As for the Pyra, I have a real concern about the proximity of the X button and the keyboard on the Pyra. I know in tests ED said he hit the keyboard key when using the X button, and I can see why, judging by how close they are. I hope that's fixed with raising the buttons as he plans.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's issues with the WIN keyboard, for example the left justification.

Also, I have no idea why they chose Asphalt 8 to show in a video, its PC port is known to be bad, plus why show a PC port of a well known android game . People want to see PC games they haven't been able to play on Android hand helds.

Last edited:
YIKES, not exactly butter smooth.

Still, a pretty neat looking device.
Maybe not smooth but at least it's working and it already looks like it is HW accelerated, something the Pyra don't have at the moment AFAIK.

Looking at this makes my hands hurt :(

I'm going to have to reiterate what ED said earlier, the placement of the controls relative to the keyboard looks uncomfortable. And in the best case you pretty much have to have your palms and even thumbs hitting a bunch of keys to make it anywhere close to usable.

Indeed, the controls need to be at least a little bit stuck out over the keyboard or the keyboard needs to be more sunken into the surface to be on the safe side. Hard to tell from the pictures, maybe it works or maybe not. But that's what prototypes are for.
One simple solution could be an option to disable the Keyboard during gaming etc.

One simple solution could be an option to disable the Keyboard during gaming etc.

But as it uses Domecaps, you'd still hear the buttons clicking :)

I'm still scared of the Power Button location though.. looks like an easy accidental hit.

Also, I have no idea why they chose Asphalt 8 to show in a video, its PC port is known to be bad, plus why show a PC port of a well known android game . People want to see PC games they haven't been able to play on Android hand helds.
They probably don't care much about it

Back