GPD XD

I know that, and you seem to think that, but maybe other people see unknown Chinese handheld company.

If the company, not specific to GPD, does not deliver its a public channel to voice your concerns where you might otherwise be silenced by obscurity in a forum managed by the company themselves possibly. I'm not suggesting it's as reliable as Amazon, or built in protection as eBay, but I see it more secure than them hosting everything themselves. Adding the impartial 3rd party, and preorder timeframe that exceeds most people's credit card fraud protection timeframes.

The Indiegogo 128GB XD is a a limited edition introductory offering for $199 plus $25 shipping. It won't ship until July. If you believe what they say on Indiegogo, the retail price will be $299. Of course it will be sold cheaper than that , for the same reasoning the GPD WIN won't be $499 when it's released.

For reference, the XD is currently being sold on Geekbuying and other chinese sites with free shipping for: $179 for the 32GB model and $190 for the 64GB model.

This just isn't the type of device I would toss $200 and wait for a year... not when I can purchase one and get in it a couple days, with no fear of loosing funds... on a "flex" goal? whut's that?

It ships in July - 4 months time. It's not exactly high risk as it's just their current device with 128GB instead of 64GB - ie they are not creating anything new.

But yeah, if your happy with lower storage or making up the diff with a uSD card etc, then yeah , buying one of the existing options makes sense

Been a while, just wanted to do a follow-up.

Well, my GPD is no longer with us. The screen no longer works when it is open at an angle more than 30 degrees or so, making the thing all but unusable. It happened out of nowhere- I took it out of my pocket one day, and it wasn't working. The thing only lasted me a year or so. Made in China....

It worked great until this, except for the paint wearing off of the buttons in just a few months.

My Open Pandora on the other hand, still going strong, despite having been taken apart and reassembled several times.

I know that I won't buy GPD's new offering- the handheld Win 10 minicomputer if I can't get more than a year's worth of use out of it.

The Dragonbox will definitely be my choice.

Been a while, just wanted to do a follow-up.

Well, my GPD is no longer with us. The screen no longer works when it is open at an angle more than 30 degrees or so, making the thing all but unusable. It happened out of nowhere- I took it out of my pocket one day, and it wasn't working. The thing only lasted me a year or so. Made in China....

It worked great until this, except for the paint wearing off of the buttons in just a few months.

My Open Pandora on the other hand, still going strong, despite having been taken apart and reassembled several times.

I know that I won't buy GPD's new offering- the handheld Win 10 minicomputer if I can't get more than a year's worth of use out of it.

The Dragonbox will definitely be my choice.

Sounds like you have a dodgy ribbon cable, known to happen on pretty much any clamshell especially including the Pandora . As for the rubbing off of the labels, GPD have mentioned that they will be addressing that issue so it doesn't happen with the WIN.

found it on reddit a while ago I think. I saved the original pic on another computer, so I don't have the artist or source. maybe a google reverse image search will give you the info you seek.

found it on reddit a while ago I think. I saved the original pic on another computer, so I don't have the artist or source. maybe a google reverse image search will give you the info you seek.
@Fzero already got me the info (see above), but thanks.

The thing only lasted me a year or so

Lucky you, mine lasted 2 months and I've backed the WIN, not so sure now :|

IMAG0304.jpg

I really liked it too.....

Well, yes, as I mentioned... I had quite a few repairs. Some dying after a few weeks usage.

The failure rate definitely was higher than with the Pandora.
[doublepost=1466707056,1466707024][/doublepost]
Lucky you, mine lasted 2 months and I've backed the WIN, not so sure now :|

View attachment 28590

I really liked it too.....

Got one here with the exact same issue.

What did you put the fault down to ED? I had a poke about inside but couldn't make the display change at all, I think it's the LCD rather than the flex cable itself, or maybe a passive component on the flex....

What did you put the fault down to ED? I had a poke about inside but couldn't make the display change at all, I think it's the LCD rather than the flex cable itself, or maybe a passive component on the flex....

I'm not sure yet. It's certainly not the LCD Cable, the display or the small PCB near the display, as it works fine when I connect it to a different mainboard.

Now for the interesting thing:
This happened to a unit when I was REPLACING a display.
The original display had two broken lines, so I replaced it with a new one (tested to be working!). After I did that, it looked like this - so I probably damaged it while replacing it.
I only opened the lid and didn't disconnect the battery, so that's probably where it got damged.

I will get some replacement parts for GPDs and help from GPD as well, they know the most common issues and their fixes.

Does anyone here have a NeoGAF account?

There is a new thread where the OP ask for "the best handheld for retro emulation", current or coming soon? And of course GPD XD is the most recommended, along with the N3DS. The N3DS, really?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241442

I searched through the 3 pages, and found no mention of the Pandora or the Pyra, might be a good place to post some info and get some feedback, as the only really good device recommended that I saw was the Shield Portable.

Chris

Back