Gph Releases Info On Official Games

aho said:
Spykez said:
[...] How about getting their flash player to actually run flash full speed.

There is no such thing as running Flash full speed, since there is no definition of 100% speed of some language or virtual machine. It isn't some hardware platform after all.

Also most Flash games - even those which target Flash9+ AVM2 - require a pretty beefy CPU. E.g. a very simple 320x240 jump n run which uses bitmaps for everything requires at least a 500mhz desktop CPU like a K7 or P3 (a CPU like that runs Quake3 at 60+ FPS easily). And AVM1 stuff needs way more power.

Sure there is (well, in a roundabout way anyway), basically anything above 60fps can be considered full speed. If it's running lower than that then the machine is straining to keep up and that'll affect input and general viewability of the Flash itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
Not all flash games run at 60fps on desktop machines even...

I make my flash games at 30fps, and I know several flash developers who use even slower speeds.

Threads Merged..... :)

Addition:
Sorry for being slow with news etc recently but I have had a rather lovely holiday in York and tried my best to stay away from computers. Unfortunately I'm back in work now :(

aho said:
Spykez said:

There is no such thing as running Flash full speed, since there is no definition of 100% speed of some language or virtual machine. It isn't some hardware platform after all.

There's no such thing as running flash at full speed, but I definitely think there is such a thing as running it WELL BELOW full speed. Basically I think he just means there's room for improvement in the flash player.

DurTahar said:
There's no such thing as running flash at full speed, but I definitely think there is such a thing as running it WELL BELOW full speed. Basically I think he just means there's room for improvement in the flash player.

I'm not sure I would agree 100% with that, when you create a flash project you set the frames per second, so if my project should run at 30fps I would say 30fps would be full speed, anything less than 30fps would degrade performance.

That's how I would imagine it anyway, but I could be wrong.

It's not the FPS I'm concerned with, it's more the fact that I've seen some flash files that SHOULD be running a lot faster that don't. If a file is supposed to go at 30FPS that's perfectly fine, I just mean that a lot of files don't go like they should and that's what needs to be fixed.

DurTahar said:
It's not the FPS I'm concerned with, it's more the fact that I've seen some flash files that SHOULD be running a lot faster that don't. If a file is supposed to go at 30FPS that's perfectly fine, I just mean that a lot of files don't go like they should and that's what needs to be fixed.

So in other words, they are not running full speed, i.e. not what they should be running at?

I guess though that all this is open to interpretation.

Seeing as all flash movies can run at whatever speed they want then you cannot define flash itself as running at fullspeed but must talk in terms of individual projects. So you can say "<FLASHGAME> does not run at full speed on the Wiz" but not "flash games do not run at fullspeed on the Wiz" and this means that what you mean to say is "the majority of flash games do not run well on the Wiz and this should be improved".

DurTahar said:
aho said:
Spykez said:

this, I meant it has a flash player but it's farely useless, I've yet to be able to bring forth any flash game and actually be able to play it.

Back