Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

Can someone with the hardware post a FPS comparison with the GP2X so we know how much more power this thing actually has, with MES 533mhz might not actually mean 2x as fast as the GP2X.

Cervante said:
I dont like it I mean no bluetooth , no wifi . This is basically an opensource PSP
You say it like that's a bad thing :p

And yet again with the wah, no WiFi :rolleyes: Why would you need WiFi on a tiny little portable gaming device like the Wiz?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran the tests included with ufenix and my unoptimised build got 60% faster than the GP2X on them all. Not tried emulators though because I don't give a damn about them :D.

EDIT: Of course, different things will have different amounts of gains and anybody who thought it'd be exactly 2.665 times as fast as the GP2X is mad :p. 60% is quite a lot though. And that is compared with a hardware optimised ufenix on the GP2X.

notaz said:
pepone said:
if the sd card speed issue are removed, then streaming from the sdcard shouldn't be penalizing.
This is mostly solved on GP2X too.

Ho, interesting. Can you tell me more? I didn't check the dev board for some times now.
it might be useful for gngeo.

Orkie said:
I ran the tests included with ufenix and my unoptimised build got 60% faster than the GP2X on them all. Not tried emulators though because I don't give a damn about them :D.
boomshine plays the last level without slowdown!

Peter R said:
Cervante said:
I dont like it I mean no bluetooth , no wifi . This is basically an opensource PSP .
bluetooth and wifi on it would be useless!

BT I agrees with, but not with WIFI. With WIFI you could access anything on the network. The most obvious would be a file server, so you could access music/video/files/games. For me thats the biggest advantage with Pandora, i can play all of those things without needing to copy them to a SD card which I couldnt fit everything on to begin with. With WIFI I have access to everything now.
Myabe your only thinking along the lines of web browsing, where the screen would play a factor.

Orkie said:
I ran the tests included with ufenix and my unoptimised build got 60% faster than the GP2X on them all. Not tried emulators though because I don't give a damn about them :D .

EDIT: Of course, different things will have different amounts of gains and anybody who thought it'd be exactly 2.665 times as fast as the GP2X is mad :p . 60% is quite a lot though. And that is compared with a hardware optimised ufenix on the GP2X.
At what clockspeed?

craigix said:
Can someone with the hardware post a FPS comparison with the GP2X so we know how much more power this thing actually has, with MES 533mhz might not actually mean 2x as fast as the GP2X.
Fenix new 16 bpp tests:

GP2X@200 Mhz
test1a: 85-100 fps
test1b: 60-66 fps
test1c: 141-153 fps
test1d: 61-67 fps
test2a: 72 fps
test2b: 66 fps
test3: 23-30 fps
test4: 34 fps

WIZ@528 Mhz
test1a: 154-172 fps
test1b: 115-124 fps
test1c: 204 fps
test1d: 121-132 fps
test2a: 140 fps
test2b: 126 fps
test3: 36-50 fps
test4: 61 fps

craigix said:
I understand SNES is up and running, what are the frame rates in things like Chrono?
Kind of. I gave nkSNES a quick go when it first arrived (because it is dynamically linked and I didn't have to recompile it), but I didn't look at numbers and it isn't really the best emulator to get numbers off anyway. From what I remember, Tetris Attack ran well but other than that I have no idea.

Do you think you could have a look again and benchmark some things for us? Those numbers are important a big chunk of the people buying this, people are assuming the emulators are going to be at least twice as fast and us distributors have to deal with these customer expectations :)

craigix said:
Do you think you could have a look again and benchmark some things for us? Those numbers are important a big chunk of the people buying this, people are assuming the emulators are going to be at least twice as fast and us distributors have to deal with these customer expectations :)
No they aren't expecting emulators to be twice as fast. The Wiz is designed more with native homebrew games in mind so noone should be expecting anything emulator related. That is what we have the Pandora for ;)

They are expecting that in my inbox right now, and I'm trying to get a 80-90% answer on the subject :)

We need some videos, or some figures, or something, or they won't upgrade to this as the GP2X seems to already do what this device is design for... (if indeed it is only homebrew gph have in mind for this and not emulators)

Orkie said:
craigix said:
I understand SNES is up and running, what are the frame rates in things like Chrono?
Kind of. I gave nkSNES a quick go when it first arrived (because it is dynamically linked and I didn't have to recompile it), but I didn't look at numbers and it isn't really the best emulator to get numbers off anyway. From what I remember, Tetris Attack ran well but other than that I have no idea.

Can you recompile this for Wizz and make tests with FF6 Starfox, Stuntrace FX, SuperMetroid,.. ?

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,2043

and the fix : http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,2619

If you have time and can try this petition i would thank you a lot ^_^

Hmmm tempted.

Specs sound good and it looks fine, naturally I echo the dual d pad but in fairness its like having 4 different buttons so not to dis-similar than the GP2X, except the problem (I assume) of not being able to press 2 opposite buttons at the same time.

If the same devs who made the GP2X what it is also port their existing stuff over to the Wiz I'll be extremely interested. Emulators are my thing, not so fussed about homebrew, so I'm interested in the gains.

As for the battery, I've always preferred the GP2X's use of AA batteries. If I run out I can simply put more in... unlike built-in batteries.

Hardest part will be not buying this and a Pandora!

I like it. It's a truely portable, pocket sized gp2x.
About 120euro.
If it has decent sound and video (which it really should) it will be ideal for all my needs.
As for the D-pad, it looks to me like the edges are raised a lot compared to the center which should allow for your standard A+B button press' quite nicely. Can anybody confirm? Maybe while testing the snes? ;)

I'd say people like myself who bought the JXD301 will snap this up.

Well, I just won myself a GP32 FLU on ebay, so I'm hoping I can convince myself to be satisfied with that and not buy either of the upcoming handhelds, nor switch back to the GP2X.

Back