Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

One major thing I'm hoping for is the crippled SD card read access to be fixed.

Looks alright. I personally would have a bit of a problem with the dual dpad layout for some of the games I would play. If they had just left it as buttons it would of been better but I'm sure it'll be adequate for what it's going to used for.

The use of an OLED screen is a nice touch. Very nice indeed. Will get a very nice clean, sharp image with that.

geise69 said:
One major thing I'm hoping for is the crippled SD card read access to be fixed.
That was fixed in the MMSP2+, and this is a later SoC than that, so shouldn't be a problem.

Must agree that the OLED display is a nice touch, but the dual dpad design seems like a strange idea, and cripples the device (How many people have said that now?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they got a real designer this time for both the packaging and the unit's case. But I'm with Craig on the ABXY buttons. My guess is that the dual d-pad is for 3D.

I'm a little disappointed...they seem to have improved on the gp2x in a lot of ways here, but the right-hand d-pad is going to be useless for a lot of playing styles. Looks like it's a real d-pad this time too, which will be nice on the left hand but even harder on the right. Of course, I'm looking at this for homebrew & emus. It looks like the PMP aspects will be improved (better screen, hold button, 1GB NAND, battery).

I'm excited about the Pandora (and I trust the Pandora team to pay more attention to detail) but this is a form factor that I'd be happier with, had GPH not "reinvented" the control scheme again. And like others have said...it's 2008, lack of wireless LAN is l-a-m-e. Regardless of how things shake out, we are in some interesting times wrt open-sdk gaming devices :D

edit: typos

yeah with a true d-pad as right controls it will be impossible to do more than one button at same time. Hopefully it is just some sort of cap that turns buttons into d-pad.

Looks impressive tho, im happy with f-200 and i guess if it breaks/bricks id get a wiz.

Funny how its called wiz and is yellow lol.

I personally loved the GP2X. I still play mine for hours until my batteries drain. It is hands down my favorite system. After getting used to the way the d-pad works I can pull of the most complex movements just as I can on a stick without any issues. I am unsure about the double d-pads on the Wiz but this will not stop me buying one of these. The specs look very impressive.

This looks kinds cool. If my GP2X breaks again, I might pick this up.

Here's what I think
Pros:
+almost everything that made the F200 nice
+OLED screen
+Flash player
+533 MHz ARM processor (compatible with GP2X)
+3D GPU
+internal clock
+fits nicely between the GP2X and Pandora

Cons:
-li-on battery shows little improvement over NiMHs and will prove more costly
-2 dpads is a terrible idea
-no wifi
-$190-200 is too expensive. IMO $150-160 is better
-developers now have to work across 3 platforms (or neglect 1 or 2)

Yup looks interesting.. Think i'll keep an eye on how things develop and who develops for this before deciding on Pandora or the Wiz.
I cant see them sticking with 2 dpads - would be suicidal!

To early to judge for me, the deal breaker is no network capability. In my opinion thats a bit a suicidal, they should probably rethink that. Oh well, probably to far in development to add, I wish them the best of luck with the device. Maybe the pandora crew should send them a free pandora to show em how its done?

Im trying not to offend anyone here as i love these forums and normally people are spot on and its me thats wrong!

BUT the controls seem very sensible the right dpad seems fine to me it seems to be 4 seperate buttons so will work fine and also would be GREAT for say Doom etc using shoulder buttons as left and right mouse button and then the dpad and dpad/buttons for proper 3d control the left one for look and the right for movement Brilliant stuff.

I originally thought Oh but what about Mario where I need to hold sprint and press jump at the same time? well go grab a pad with a dpad on...go on now hold left(lets say thats sprint and then whilst holding left push down for jump, seems fine to me.?

I have a GP2X that has pretty much the same design and I will certainly get the Pandora. Don't think there is any need for me to buy this one too, unless lots of devs will develop for it.

I do wish this one to have a good future, it would be nice to have both side by side even if I won't buy the Wiz.
Main (only?) reason for me to choose the Pandora is the keyboard. C64, Amiga, Atari will be very sweet on the Pandora. Also typing in general, PIM etc. Can't wait....

What about games where you have to press 3 or 4 buttons at the same time (Street Fighter, Tekken...)? Sorry, the design is awful. I will buy Pandora.

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
What about games where you have to press 3 or 4 buttons at the same time (Street Fighter, Tekken...)? Sorry, the design is awful. I will buy Pandora.
But I think again like a lot of people you are ignoring the fact that they appear to be 4 seperate buttons so there would be nothing to stop you pressing 3 or all 4 at once.

stustaff said:
But I think again like a lot of people you are ignoring the fact that they appear to be 4 seperate buttons so there would be nothing to stop you pressing 3 or all 4 at once.
Not separate buttons. It's like the left pad (confirmed by Puck2099 who has a prototype)

Uukrul said:
stustaff said:
Not separate buttons. It's like the left pad (confirmed by Puck2099 who has a prototype)

I did say I might be wrong ;) if thats the case then yes I join the 'thats daft' team :)

Puck said in gp32spain forums that the D-pad has 4 "contact buttons", but the plastic doesn't let you press "opossite buttons" (left/rigth - up/down) at the same time.

cd78 said:
I cant see them sticking with 2 dpads - would be suicidal!
They really need one more dpad.

I hope that Google's Android will not "eat me" so I would dev for WIZ.

i love the box... and the design is nice(except the dpad(a,b,x,y))...
- batterys should be better...
- wifi pleaseeeeeeee :\

if is cheap... i probably buy it... or not...
waiting for reviews and stuff(videos, opinions) like that...

Back