Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

I'm not made of money, I will get the Pandora but not this. I already have a GP2X to play GP2X games on and I doubt that many devs will choose the Wiz instead of the Pandora for their future projects.

Pickle said:
Maybe you meant to say it only the fenix runtime needs to be recompilied?
Of course, that's obvious :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wiz already has a basic Fenix runtime, it took about half an hour to get running :p.

Orkie said:
The Wiz already has a basic Fenix runtime, it took about half an hour to get running :p.
I've changed some things and added direct hardware controls (like on GP2X), but I still haven't got to show 8 bpp correctly... did you achieved that?

2008 is set to be one of the best (personal) years ever! I've seen some bloody great festivals, got a new job that pays almost twice as much, AC/DC is going to tour, the Pandora is coming out, and now this!

What's next? The lottery? :D

Orkie said:
The Wiz already has a basic Fenix runtime, it took about half an hour to get running :p .
Hmm, sounds like GPH really came out and talked to some in the community before releasing it. Or at least you Orkie know quite a bit than the rest of us.

Does anyone know if the $180 price point is for sure?...I know it seems kind of futile to ask...but I'd like to know...the wiz would be really awesome if it was a bit cheaper.

And for those of you who are concerned about the dual d-pad...if it is in fact just a piece of plastic connecting the pieces and its not really like a d-pad in feel, then couldn't you just cut out the center?

I know that several people (including myself and Puck) have been given prototypes and they have been asking the opinions of many of the homebrew game developers (though in the case of the action buttons they seem to have either not listened or not had chance to change it yet) and asking permission to include their games.

GPH are simply not interested in emulators, and I think this causes some problems when this comes here because GP32x-ers are for the most part only into emulators.

Puck2099 said:
I've changed some things and added direct hardware controls (like on GP2X), but I still haven't got to show 8 bpp correctly... did you achieved that?
Nope, though apparently they have a fair idea of what the problem is already and are working on fixing it.

Why didn't they just upgrade the gp2x to have the wiz's specs and leave the design alone. An even smaller screen and double d-pad sounds terrible. And built-in battery? So next time when I travel abroad and take this thing with me, after 5 hours (if that's even true, it might only last that long in idle status) I'll be carrying a brick with me cos I can't replace the power source anywhere on-the-fly.

Because my F100 died after the stick completely broke off, and because I bought a F200 shortly after that .. I'll stay away from this one. The pandora seems much more appealing to me, if I am going to buy any future device at all.

EDIT: Just had another close look at the pictures. I can't help it but I still don't like its look. 5 years ago this would've been interesting but from today's point of view, it seems like a case of "too little too late" for me. I really really wish they had stuck with the original F200 design and improved upon it instead of scrapping it for that thing :(

"SunSpire"

SunSpire said:
Why didn't they just upgrade the gp2x to have the wiz's specs and leave the design alone. An even smaller screen and double d-pad sounds terrible. And built-in battery? So next time when I travel abroad and take this thing with me, after 5 hours (if that's even true, it might only last that long in idle status) I'll be carrying a brick with me cos I can't replace the power source anywhere on-the-fly.

Because my F100 died after the stick completely broke off, and because I bought a F200 shortly after that .. I'll stay away from this one. The pandora seems much more appealing to me, if I am going to buy any future device at all.

I really really wish they had stuck with the original F200 design and improved upon it.

"SunSpire"
I'm guessing that GPH doesn't really consider the Wiz a re-release of the GP2X, but a considerably more powerful platform. They probably would've had more trouble selling it if it looked the same as the F-200.

EDIT: Woohoo, 500th post! :D

Orkie said:
Nope, though apparently they have a fair idea of what the problem is already and are working on fixing it.
Wowowowowowow, I have just got it correctly :lol:

I've found the problem (I'm playing with Pollux registers), I'll write them a mail with the solution :)

I'm quite happy because I've spent all the day finding the way to access 8 bpp mode (I'm implementing a low hardware access library like Ryleh's Minilib).

Puck2099 said:
Orkie said:
Wowowowowowow, I have just got it correctly :lol:

I've found the problem, I'll write them a mail with the solution :)

I'm quite happy because I've spent all the day finding the way to access 8 bpp mode (I'm implementing a low hardware access library like Ryleh's Minilib).

Not that 8bpp mode matters to me but I do need a fenix runtime for my game :p

Another nice thing to note is that most retailers seem to be accepting orders for the commercial games already. Before only gbax had the boxed commercial games. Its just good that you don't have to order anything overseas and in a different currency if you don't want to.

So much going for it they REALLY need to change the right dpad. Its an almost universal complaint with the system and its not some expensive new feature they need to add. They wouldn't even have to really alter the design either. Wifi support seems to be the only other wide complaint but for those that really need it the pandora would probably be better anyway.

:huh: A couple of questions...............................

1) I think somebody already anserwed this but is this backwards compatable with the gp2x software?

2) What emulators are going to be possible

3) What emulators are going to be available from the start

4) Is it even possible for them to fix their design (I hope so)

5) About how big is it (Compare it to something else.

Thanks,
-Spadoof :gp2x

DON'T spank about the 2nd D-pad. It's not designed for emulators, OK. You have an GP2X for that. I think GPH is trying to create unique *new* games for that device, so if you start thinking about it, the 2nd D-pad offers new ways for new ideas.
I like it.

135L$? Heavy! Is the product price higher than with GP2X or is that tactics to keep people away from buying it and wait for the pandora?

[edit]
135L$ = 250 US$
For 179$ + (VAT!) you can get it here:
http://www.dynamism.com/gp2x_wiz.shtml
I think the price should be reconsidered.

If this was $60 cheaper I'd probably nab one right away... as it is, the Pandora just offers so much more, whereas this is little more than a slightly faster GP2X with its own weird design flaws.

Still, I wish GPH the best of luck and might pick up one from the inevitable Mk2 which will fix all the faults in the future - at least to play Lady Killer :)

Spadoof said:
1) I think somebody already anserwed this but is this backwards compatable with the gp2x software?
Dynamically linked, maybe (depends on app). Statically linked, No.

Then again, the dynamically linked apps that work on Wiz & Gp2X will probably work on Pandora also.

Back