Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

quasist said:
quadomatic said:
Still, I'll be going with Pandora. I'm very enticed by the idea of an OLED Upgraded GP2X, but not so much that I'd give up a handheld that fits in my pocket and does everything an eeePC can do
See you teaching your pandora to play Diablo 2 :p

?

Don't really get what you mean lol, I never really played the Diablo games either

Last edited by a moderator:
quadomatic said:
quasist said:
quadomatic said:
Still, I'll be going with Pandora. I'm very enticed by the idea of an OLED Upgraded GP2X, but not so much that I'd give up a handheld that fits in my pocket and does everything an eeePC can do
See you teaching your pandora to play Diablo 2 :p

?

Don't really get what you mean lol, I never really played the Diablo games either

I think he's suggesting that one of the eeePC models can play Diablo 2, while Pandora most likely will not?

Orkie said:
Moxie said:
And...they show lots of screenshots from homebrew GP2x stuff and claims it to bee "Free games" for the Wiz. Deid they ask anybodys permission this time Do these games even run on this new hardware???

Yes, and these people I think are actually getting something in return too.

Thats all good then :)

I just had flashbacks to earlier times when they were not as considerate about things like that. But change is, in this case, good! :)

culturepunk said:
lubidog said:
Blimey! We have had the wii, now the wiz. (from where I am from, to wiz means to urinate.)

I think the Pandora should be renamed 'The Piss'. It would sell.
Where I come from its the street name for anthetamine sulphate too. :lol:

:( Not too excited about this really. Its just GP2X with added 3D support from what I can see.

With a 533mhz processor for a little more than half the price of the Pandora. It might not be as good a the pandora (I don't know, it doesn't really give much information about the 3d) and lacks some of the features, but it seems like a pretty good deal, especially if it's backwards compatible.

Chris

(a long time without post)

so, I find this new gp2x very interesting and with this attractive price I think that I will buy it...

I just hope that GPH will respect their games schedule because I think that we don't want to see again the same problems with them...

maybe you will see Crocodingus on it
just a mockup of a little dream:)
croco_wiz.png

the screen comes from the nintendo ds version of the game available here :
crocodingus.madpxl.com

puppydee said:
Cool, I quite like the look of it. Suppose it's a similar style to a gameboy micro only bigger and i love my micro. Any idea how much it's gonna cost? How will it compare to the Pandora? Wish I'd of known about this before i bought a gp2x the other day. Anyhow probably get one of these aswell till i get a pandora... :)
Playasia is taking pre-orders for $179. If I remember correctly it ships oct 9th.

Chris

All this talk of the GPH abandoning the emulation sceners is being blown way out of proportion. It has been clearly stated that, with a little recompiling and tweaking, existing GP2X software will run on the Wiz, which, as the majority of us already know, largely consists of emulators.

They're not leaving emulation users behind, per-se. They're just moving towards having a product that might be a little more attractive to the mainstream consumer. Who can blame them?

it is indeed an interesting device, and i would have strongly considered it over my f200 had this been available. but now since i do have an f200, i'll be putting my preorder in for pandora and not purchasing a wiz (maybe not :) )

ant512 said:
craigix said:
While I'll be selling this and all I cannot believe they are going with 2 Dpads and no buttons, so any game which requires 2 or 3 buttons pressed at once can't be played unless you weirdly map them to the shoulder buttons? Whhyyyy?
Because it's traditional for GPH to make a complete shambles of every single input method they try their hand at? Examples include the diabolical original GP32 joyless-stick, the not-much-improved stick on the the FLU and BLU, the horrendous joyless-stick on the GP2x First Edition, the not-much-improved stick on the second edition, and the death-dealing combo blow of the clunky buttons and totally inaccurate touchscreen on the GP2x F200.

A lot of people, myself included, thought the GP32's stick is one of the best designs on a hand held. I wish I would have bought the back or front lit version though as I tend to use it in poor lighting conditions, but the joystick was great, it would have been nice to have 4 buttons instead of 2 though. It did supposedly have a high failure rate (knock on wood, but mine never failed), but was easy to fix. In any event, I think you got it all wrong on the gp32 stick. It looks to me like the few missing features from the Pandora are made up by the price difference (179, vs 330). That oled screen is really tempting too, especially as a book reader, although it might be too small. How big is the screen? Is it as big as the gp32 or gp2x?

Chris

EDIT:After finding it on endgadget, the screen is 2.8 inches, too small for book reading I would think. I don't understand why all these devices which are totally inappropriate for book reading even bother including book reading software. I've seen these tiny, itsy bitsy little screens on el-cheapo mp4 players that say on the box that they are great for reading books! What, 2 lines at a time? 2.8 inches might be ok for short stories or readme files, but not for reading a book. Even a relatively short (200 pages) book would be tedious at best on a 2.8" screen (especially if you happen to have an ipaq and newton, which both make great book readers).

kneehighspy said:
it is indeed an interesting device, and i would have strongly considered it over my f200 had this been available. but now since i do have an f200, i'll be putting my preorder in for pandora and not purchasing a wiz (maybe not :) )
Yeah, I feel bad for the ppl that bought F-200s...kinda lame that they decided to update the GP2X, and then 6 months later announce a new handheld.

novaslogic said:
To early to judge for me, the deal breaker is no network capability. In my opinion thats a bit a suicidal, they should probably rethink that. Oh well, probably to far in development to add, I wish them the best of luck with the device. Maybe the pandora crew should send them a free pandora to show em how its done?
I personally don't see the point of a wireless card on this thing. It's far too small to surf the web and what are the odds of you knowing lots of other people with a gp2x wiz to play multi-player games with (unless you can talk a friend or 2 into buying one)? It just would have raised the price and lowered the battery life for nothing. Emulators can't really use it either. Game Park is probably well aware that they are not a serious competitor for the hand held game market and with worldwide sales of 50k there are not a lot of people with gp2x wiz's who are going to know each other.

Chris

christo930 said:
novaslogic said:
To early to judge for me, the deal breaker is no network capability. In my opinion thats a bit a suicidal, they should probably rethink that. Oh well, probably to far in development to add, I wish them the best of luck with the device. Maybe the pandora crew should send them a free pandora to show em how its done?
I personally don't see the point of a wireless card on this thing. It's far too small to surf the web and what are the odds of you knowing lots of other people with a gp2x wiz to play multi-player games with (unless you can talk a friend or 2 into buying one)? It just would have raised the price and lowered the battery life for nothing. Emulators can't really use it either. Game Park is probably well aware that they are not a serious competitor for the hand held game market and with worldwide sales of 50k there are not a lot of people with gp2x wiz's who are going to know each other.

Chris

Yeah, the Wiz isn't really a device that would benefit from wi-fi. If it had a larger screen and larger form factor, it would make sense, since you could do stuff online, but not at this size. For this size, it's great as a portable gaming handheld, and nothing else (and that is in no way a bad thing).

Do we know anything about the firmware? What kernel version? Does it support SDIO?

Mockuping with MS Paintbrush
wizazkh3.jpg

Wiz is certanly designed for third person shooters.

Has anyone tried any flash files or games on the system yet? How well would flash games run on with this processor speed?

I've been following the GP32 and GP2X for a long time and have owned both. Personally, I love the idea of a new handheld and will probably end up getting this as well.

Back