Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

Well, hearing that the ABXY Pad (I *REFUSE* to call it a D-Pad, because it's not!!) is flexible, and can allow for simultaneous button presses, I'm even more enthused about the Wiz than before!!! :)

And to all this "OMG! ONOEZ!!! GPH is anti-emulation now!!! TEH SUXXORZ!!!!" nonsense -- give me a break. GPH not mentioning emulation as a use for the Wiz has nothing to do with the OLED screen's life, and it certainly does not mean that they are "anti-emulation". They are merely covering their own rumps so that the big video game companies don't sue them. Look at how hardcore Nintendo has been about trying so squash flash carts for the DS -- I'm sure GPH doesn't want that kind of heat, so they're simply not EMPHASIZING that you can emulate on the Wiz. But to set this issue to rest, if you just take a look at the official "brochure" on gp2x.de, it even says "emulators" right under the banner "02 - Unlimited gameplay at your fingertips!".

morrissey2k7 said:
Well, hearing that the ABXY Pad (I *REFUSE* to call it a D-Pad, because it's not!!) is flexible, and can allow for simultaneous button presses, I'm even more enthused about the Wiz than before!!! :)

And to all this "OMG! ONOEZ!!! GPH is anti-emulation now!!! TEH SUXXORZ!!!!" nonsense -- give me a break. GPH not mentioning emulation as a use for the Wiz has nothing to do with the OLED screen's life, and it certainly does not mean that they are "anti-emulation". They are merely covering their own rumps so that the big video game companies don't sue them. Look at how hardcore Nintendo has been about trying so squash flash carts for the DS -- I'm sure GPH doesn't want that kind of heat, so they're simply not EMPHASIZING that you can emulate on the Wiz. But to set this issue to rest, if you just take a look at the official "brochure" on gp2x.de, it even says "emulators" right under the banner "02 - Unlimited gameplay at your fingertips!".

It just wouldn't be a GPH product without it...

Last edited by a moderator:
GunPei2X said:
Those shiny metal bits at the ends of the Dpads -- do they press down as well, or are they solid raised?

edit: to see what I mean, from Orkie's shot: http://x11.gp2x.de/tempfiles/gp2x-new/IMG_1110.JPG

If you take a look at Orkie's other shot of the right hand pad you can see on the A button that the shiny metal bits are connected to the pad and would press down as well.

Also notice (as most people are already aware) in that shot that the 4 buttons are physically connected. I doubt that pressing A & B together without accidently pressing X or Y would be easy.

wow, intense thread but i made it through! still have a few questions tho :huh:

can you set the serial port baud rate to custom speeds? can you disable system output to the serial port? these two things are important for getting midi control in and out for audio software

what are bootup times like? the gp2x kept getting worse instead of better, you'd think gph could trim linux down to get super fast boots.

other than that i'm excited ... just the 2.5mm jack has me irked. and i hope the people saying you can push A+B at the same time are right 'cause piggy tracker relies heavily on such combos.

Wow, so GPH did hear all the D-pad related complaints with the original GP2X and decided to make it up to us by designing their next handheld with two. Somehow I can't help but wonder if they missed the point.

Actually, I love the idea of two D-pads, it seems the design would allow us to switch from one action button much faster than with regular buttons, obviously it can't be used for everything regular buttons can be used for, but the reverse is also true. I'm ok with this new style.

I'm disappointed with the lack of communication this device allows (no WiFi). I honestly have plans of buying two Pandoras simply so my best friend and I can play multiplayer together, this extra sale would most definitely cover the cost of adding the chip. I know not everyone would do this, but surly I'm not alone here right?

Of course the biggest issue I might have with the Wiz is volume control. I hated that the GP2X didn't control it's volume in firmware or hardware and fear the Wiz might follow it in this regard.

I also don't like the lack of information about the device before it gets released, it seems like a tactic aimed at attracting splurge buyers instead of people who research and care about what they buy. I'm just worried they might attract several people who don't know what market they've gotten into, which means more “hey, make me 'x' kind of game with 'y' features” sort of threads.

The lack of 3.5mm audio jack disturbs me.

craigix said:
The problem is they are joined together, leading to accidental presses and if they are pivoted or not is still a bit vague.

Why did GPH do this is the bigger question, why try to reinvent the wheel like this, it's odd and you can see how it is effecting the sales from the reaction of the customers.

I have decided that if it is poor quality I will have a 4 button replacement kit made and will ship it to all GBAX customers for free.
Oh! Bonuses! How about a 2.5 to 3.5 Headphone jack adapter? :)

If this holds up, I know where I would buy *my* Wiz from. :)

DaveC said:
Well yes but there is an important fact that your Wiki excerpt leaves out.

One is the fact that it isn't full strength for 5 years , then cuts out. It deteriorates over time so at 2 years it is half way to going dark etc. Every time you use it you lose brightness. It is a curve and if like most light emitting devices you lose most of the brightness in the beginning and then it levels off a bit (This is why they had "burn in" periods for plasmas of projection TVs, it "seasons" them at the beginning when they lose most of their brightness).
Be realistic, that's 14,000 hours of use, 5 years if you use it for 8 hours a day but how many people would realistically be using it for that length of time every day. The true life of the display would be much longer because of this and should I imagine work perfectly well past the time that the everyone has moved onto the next big thing.

DaveC said:
Well I think I may have found out the reason in my previous post. Emulators often have blank areas of the screen (borders) because of variations in screen resolution. Emulated games also tend to have static screens that have little change in motion especially the older stuff. This will cause image burn-in. Homebrew stuff is fullscreen and can be tailored to prevent burn-in (no static HUDs, scores, etc).

That could be the reason behind the "HB focus".
Yeah, thats right, they issued all homebrew devs with a top secret document explaining how we had to write our games, personally i'm going with making the screen jump around madly <_< . The real reason as others have pointed out is simply because you can't be seen to be too actively promoting emulation and as I said previously nothing is stopping anyone from porting emulators to the system. By involving homebrew devs they are able to ship the game with built in content. I may be biased but I think the fact that GPH have involved the homebrew devs is great, many of us put as much work in as emulator devs but rarely get recocognition.

ruckage said:
I may be biased but I think the fact that GPH have involved the homebrew devs is great, many of us put as much work in as emulator devs but rarely get recocognition.
Totally agree with you.

ruckage said:
By involving homebrew devs they are able to ship the game with built in content. I may be biased but I think the fact that GPH have involved the homebrew devs is great, many of us put as much work in as emulator devs but rarely get recocognition.
Although I'm sort of from the emu side, I agree with this too. Creating original quality content requires creativity, skill and effort, and should get more appreciation. But many don't care about that, they just want to see their emulated games working. So it's nice that GPH sent those protos to homebrew people.

I think The Wiz will have 90% of emus ported/recompiled just in a few weeks after it's out and emus will saturate really quickly. So there should no problem of emu releases shadowing other homebrew.

Yes, ruckage I know. It's really a sad thing and I also find it a nice behavior from GPH.
I always liked emulators. But in the meantime I must say that the great hombrew games from people like you, Alex and the others are more important for me. I hope I see some nice releases from you guys for the Wiz and lots of donations are safe...

Regards,
Stephan

To me it all boils down to build quality. I was very pleased with my Gp32 Non lit unit. Got a BLU too. They were solidly build and I still use them today as playing emulators on them goes far better than on the gp2x.

With the gp2x it was all down hill for me. I was an early adopter and the build-quality of my f100 machine was just horrible. Earplug disappearing into the machine on 2nd use. Joystick crapping out on me within the first half year - I only used it a couple of hours per week - say 30 min a day. Trying out various joystick modifications without the wanted results.

Now with this new Wiz device on the horizon my heart leaped. Wow a new device. But immediately wondered about the build-quality. This thing with the two joypads that aren't really joypads but four buttons linked with a flexible rubbery thing makes be wonder about design decisions. The OLED screen makes me wonder too. Look both my gp32s still work and if I had a Wizz the same age as my gp32s its screen would probably have given out already.
Then there's the battery thing. It is a custom battery - it'll probably die out on you before the screen does. Production of it will probably have ceased before you get to order a replacement.

To me this whole thread is evidence that GPH just remains GPH with all it's quirks. Perhaps it's a cultural thing too and us westerners are perceived as just being rude requesting more information. Craigx has made some very valid points here - GPH marketing is a bitt off when it comes to marketing the device here. GPH doesn't give enough information to customers - we need those videos and we need to see those homebrew games running on the device. We need user reviews of the device. This is what makes us want to buy the device.
Of course the contracted devvers can only give out so much information so they won't be able to provide this info, which is a shame.

I truly like the idea of involving homebrew devvers and I think it is cool that their games are commercially marketed. But GPH sure has made some horrible design decisions in the past and seems to be still making them. Ah well. I won't be ordering one right now. I'll keep reading this forum and see how customers appreciate the device.

I click on add reply, take some gp2300mAh batteries out of my recharger and stick them in my gp32 blu. Fire up my favourite c64 emu and later another one for a little genesis gaming. The gp2x f100 collects a little more dust in the drawer....

There is no flexible rubbery thing between the buttons, I have no idea where this came from.

Julius said:
Btw I think the 2.5mm head phone jack is EVEN WORSE than the dual dpad :(
2.5mm sockets apparently take a lot less space then 3.5mm's and the adapters (which I'll need in any case for a cell phone) are dirt cheap. 2.5mm's will probably just get more common as electronics get smaller.

Orkie said:
There is no flexible rubbery thing between the buttons, I have no idea where this came from.
That was my wild theory based on peering at the press photos. :blush: :D

Does the left-hand d-pad have a pivot?

I know the right-hand one doesn't (so you can press several or all of the buttons together), but I don't think anybody's said whether the left one does or not...?

My 2 cents:
  • Second buttons DPad seems bad. ED wrote that it is usable more than look at first impression. I guess that it is OK until you need press something more complicated then 2 adjacent buttons (ie AX, AY, BX, BY or ABXY is OK, but XY, AB or 3 buttons combination are bad). But I think that it is not so bad to kill it.
  • AMOLED must look amazing. Yes it wear off. But there is mass of consumers that donť care about some like this. It is important for enthusiast like we are in this community. So yes, it is about replacement parts and modding. You can exchange display for some compatible one or replace worn off old one. This is what I fear about at most.
  • 2.5 mm audio jack. It is annoying, but acceptable.
  • Lion battery. Great! I like AA or AAA cell pack, but time was changed. Nowadays is era of lithium pack and miniUSB chargers.
  • Oh, is there miniUSB for charging? OK, Bundled charger is enough, but miniUSB is quite common now.
  • SDHC, wokrs or not? It is bad if not.
Nonstandard consumer asks:
  • EXT connector, is compatible with GP2x one or not?
  • USB host, is available or not?
  • GP2x BoB is compatible or new one will be produced or none available?
  • Can be left and right DPads swapped by some global settings?
Anyway, I'll buy Pandora, but I'm curious about this beast and I like it. Only thing that I really missing is WiFi (IMO).

craigix said:
Why did GPH do this is the bigger question, why try to reinvent the wheel like this, it's odd and you can see how it is effecting the sales from the reaction of the customers.
Its clear that GPH has acted on the outcries of the LHGC(Left Handed Gaming Community). For years left handed Gamers have suffered and struggled, unable to achieve the high-scores of the right-handed players. Consistently losing life after life and why because the evil gaming corperation have ignored the needs of the left handed player. Thanks to GPH they will no longer be laughed at and ridiculed for low scores. The Wiz is 100% accessible to all players. Is Pandora Left-Handed accessible? I thought not. So I applaud GPH for remembering that left-handed handicapped players are people too. So beware right handed game players for your high score days are numbered.

DisgruntleElf said:
craigix said:
Its clear that GPH has acted on the outcries of the LHGC(Left Handed Gaming Community). For years left handed Gamers have suffered and struggled, unable to achieve the high-scores of the right-handed players. Consistently losing life after life and why because the evil gaming corperation have ignored the needs of the left handed player. Thanks to GPH they will no longer be laughed at and ridiculed for low scores. The Wiz is 100% accessible to all players. Is Pandora Left-Handed accessible? I thought not. So I applaud GPH for remembering that left-handed handicapped players are people too. So beware right handed game players for your high score days are numbered.

I think you're over-exaggerating. It's really not that hard for a left-handed person to use a regular controller.
Well, at least it shouldn't be, I'm right-handed and I've used PS2 controllers designed for left-handed people, I didn't think it was that difficult to use; actually, I almost preferred it.

Back