Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

DaveC said:
Ever play an arcade game that does have static game screens for a long time? Ever see a game with a high score, game score, or HUD remain unchanged while you play? This will leave permanent image burn-in.
Yeah, I've seen that in arcades. Arcades that have their games on for 12 hours a day. For months and months on end.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
Ever play an arcade game that does have static game screens for a long time? Ever see a game with a high score, game score, or HUD remain unchanged while you play? This will leave permanent image burn-in.
Wow, DaveC. I'm surprised it took this long into the conversation for you to rear your trolling head out of the water.

Echoing what many, including myself, have already said: No, I'm not entirely thrilled by the dual dpad and, after doing some research on OLED displays, I don't like the idea that colours will start to fade within the first 3 years (at least, I imagine they will for mine, as I use my 2X pretty heavily, and will most likely do the same with the Wiz).

Despite these potential issues, however, I still applaud GPH for doing many, many things differently or better than they did during the days of the 2X:

-They've actually opened channels of communication with popular homebrewers
-Commercial game releases
-They're attempting to really make a splash by doing something radically different (dual digital pads) and pushing through with cutting-edge technologies (OLED)
-They are listening to suggestion, while still maintaining they're seemingly clear-cut business plan

Why do you always have to focus on the negative, completely ignore the positive, and beat people over the head with your thoughts and ideas like they're gospel truths? If you don't like the way they're doing things, then GO OUT AND MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY PORTABLE!

tkeely4777 said:
If you don't like the way they're doing things, then GO OUT AND MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY PORTABLE!
I hate it when people say things like this. You don't need to be able to make a game system to criticize one. That would be like saying "If you don't like this game, then make a better one!"; You don't need to be an expert game designer to say a game sucks.

Well, the Wiz has an incredible advantage over the Pandora: it's DaveC free!!! :lol:

Uukrul said:
Well, the Wiz has an incredible advantage over the Pandora: it's DaveC free!!! :lol:
I hear that! Dave, the screen is not too small for most people. The screen is too small for those 5% who are nearly blind I must assume however. Do you fall within that demographic?

I've used devices with smaller screens before without much of a problem.

Metalwario64 said:
tkeely4777 said:
If you don't like the way they're doing things, then GO OUT AND MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY PORTABLE!
I hate it when people say things like this. You don't need to be able to make a game system to criticize one. That would be like saying "If you don't like this game, then make a better one!"; You don't need to be an expert game designer to say a game sucks.

You are doing the same with the post from tkeely4777 as DaveC does with commenting on the Wiz. Only emphasizing the negative and don't say anything about the message/content.
IMO the post of tkeely4777 makes a lot of sense.

Metalwario64 said:
tkeely4777 said:

True dat! Although I would accept the comment if tkeely4777 created the device. Which doesn't appear to be the case :)

b_o_b said:
Metalwario64 said:
tkeely4777 said:

You are doing the same with the post from tkeely4777 as DaveC does with commenting on the Wiz. Only emphasizing the negative and don't say anything about the message/content.
IMO the post of tkeely4777 makes a lot of sense.

...Huh? :huh: Well, there is nothing really to say about the comment. I actually agree with mostly everything he said. I just hate it when people say "Don't like it? DIY!" That's why I hate it when people compliment my drawings just because they can't do any better.

Orkie said:
DaveC said:
Yeah, I've seen that in arcades. Arcades that have their games on for 12 hours a day. For months and months on end.

I was referring to the fact that if you play arcade games on the wiz with static screens you will get burn in. OLED screens burn in MUCH faster than CRTs. He said that it is not like you will leave it on stuck on the same image for awhile like a TV and I was saying that arcade games (like when playing them through an emulator on the wiz) Do have static images.

tkeely4777 said:
Wow, DaveC. I'm surprised it took this long into the conversation for you to rear your trolling head out of the water.
Why do you always have to focus on the negative, completely ignore the positive, and beat people over the head with your thoughts and ideas like they're gospel truths? If you don't like the way they're doing things, then GO OUT AND MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY PORTABLE!
Wow, tkeely4777. I'm surprised it took this long into the conversation for you to say something stupid.

It won't take 3 years of use for the colors to shift on an OLED it DOES IT RIGHT AWAY. In fact it will lose MORE of its brightness *in the beginning* leading to image burn-in. Plasmas do this as well as projection TVs. That is why all of those burn-in sensitive displays suggest not displaying static images without a "seasoning" period. Do your research before making attacks.

"GO OUT AND MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY PORTABLE!"

So you are supposed to just accept something even if it is bad just because you can't make your own? That is totally retarded "logic" but what else should we expect from you.

I guess if you buy a car that falls apart after a week and runs like shit you are just supposed to except it because you can't build your own car? You are an idiot.

DaveC said:
I was referring to the fact that if you play arcade games on the wiz with static screens you will get burn in. OLED screens burn in MUCH faster than CRTs. He said that it is not like you will leave it on stuck on the same image for awhile like a TV and I was saying that arcade games (like when playing them through an emulator on the wiz) Do have static images.
Ah, I see what you mean now. Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure that I don't leave a static image on the screen for a few days.

Orkie said:
DaveC said:
Ah, I see what you mean now. Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure that I don't leave a static image on the screen for a few days.

Oh darn! What happens if i accidentally leave my Wiz paused for 200 hours?

Orkie said:
DaveC said:

Or play games that have a score in a common area like upper left.

Or play a specific emulator allot that has the screen letterboxed.

It is cumulative. After awhile you will notice blotchy areas or areas of varying brightnesses/color. And it won't be in 2 years. It may only be a few months before you notice if you play allot.

Peter R said:
Orkie said:
DaveC said:

Oh darn! What happens if i accidentally leave my Wiz paused for 200 hours?

The battery will die! B)

ruckage said:
trooper said:
The Pandora is pretty much the same size as a GP2x, And not a great deal bigger than a Wiz.
GP2X-vs-Pandora-vs-DS-Lite-vs-Wiz-vs-GBA-micro
Trooper
Trust me on this the size difference between the GP2X and the Wiz is bigger than you think. Having the 2 side by side you really appreciate the difference more than you do by looking at those diagrams.
By my reckoning the Pandora is 2.3x the volume of the wiz. Each dimension might not seem to be that different, but in the hands or pocket I would expect it to be very noticeable.

MWeston said:
Wiz video if it hasn't been posted on GP32X yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5JIy6i5Kk

Was that a Streetfighter Alpha game near the end?

yaustar said:
MWeston said:
Wiz video if it hasn't been posted on GP32X yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5JIy6i5Kk

Was that a Streetfighter Alpha game near the end?

Yeah, it was the first one.

DaveC said:
Well I think I may have found out the reason in my previous post. Emulators often have blank areas of the screen (borders) because of variations in screen resolution. Emulated games also tend to have static screens that have little change in motion especially the older stuff. This will cause image burn-in. Homebrew stuff is fullscreen and can be tailored to prevent burn-in (no static HUDs, scores, etc).

That could be the reason behind the "HB focus".
I know this is a few pages back but this is one of the funniest comments I've seen regarding the OLED screen. First off some of the burn in and lifespan stuff seems to be overstated. Most of this stuff is theoretical as I've not seen actual complaints even from owners of OLED tvs. Iriver mp3 players have used oled for the past few years and haven't heard anything bad about them. Also most stuff on the net seems to agree the best use of oled is for portable devices such as the wiz.

They are promoting homebrew because original games are something you can use to really make people want to play a system. So many devices can emulate snes its not really a unique feature to flaunt. Emu authors pretty much do there own thing anyway regardless if even the maker of the device tries to stop them much less needing official support. Suggesting that homebrew focus is on avoiding limitations of the screen is ludicrous. If they felt that the screen was such a problem they wouldn't have gone with the screen.

I see DaveC listed under "meet the developers" on the official pandora page so obviously he has a vested interest

Back