Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

Peter R said:
Have you seen the image in the other topic which shows both a GP2x and Wiz? The screen isn't that much smaller yet the overall size is MUCH smaller. I mean if it was the same size as the GP2x but with a smaller screen, then yes, it would be stupid. However, it is much smaller than the GP2x so the screen is just fine at that size.

Edit: Added some clarification
I compared a GBA which is 2.8" and the screen is MUCH smaller like 20% smaller, that is allot of lost area. It is bad because we got used to 3.5" and now they are taking that away. Now it is a compromise, faster CPU but harder to play for long periods. Plus the OLED won't last. I guess that is their plan to keep us buying replacements. The screen in the wiz stinks, and now we are stuck with it.

If you don't think so imagine if your paycheck that you were used to got smaller by 20%, I think then you would start to think it matters.

Too bad they couldn't make two versions. One full size version with a bigger screen, and this "micro" version.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
I compared a GBA which is 2.8" and the screen is MUCH smaller like 20% smaller, that is allot of lost area. It is bad because we got used to 3.5"

A 3.5" screen has over 50% more area than a 2.8" screen.

And just for comparison to Pandora for those that are interested, it's 4.3" screen has over 100% more area than a 2.8" screen.

DaveC said:
I compared a GBA which is 2.8" and the screen is MUCH smaller like 20% smaller, that is allot of lost area. It is bad because we got used to 3.5" and now they are taking that away. Now it is a compromise, faster CPU but harder to play for long periods. Plus the OLED won't last. I guess that is their plan to keep us buying replacements. The screen in the wiz stinks, and now we are stuck with it.

If you don't think so imagine if your paycheck that you were used to got smaller by 20%, I think then you would start to think it matters.

Too bad they couldn't make two versions. One full size version with a bigger screen, and this "micro" version.
You wouldn't buy it anyway when there are more powerful machines around, so why not just bugger off and find something else to whine about rather than trolling here with such regularity that atomic clocks are now set by the period of your mindless rants?

Orkie said:
DaveC said:

You wouldn't buy it anyway when there are more powerful machines around, so why not just bugger off and find something else to whine about rather than trolling here with such regularity that atomic clocks are now set by the period of your mindless rants?

I will have to eventually some day buy one of these eye killers just because that is where all development will be, no fullspeed SNES on GP2X.

But as usual Orkie resorts to personal attacks and smear instead of making any valid points about the issue at hand. You should run for political office.

DaveC said:
I will have to eventually some day buy one of these eye killers just because that is where all development will be, no fullspeed SNES on GP2X.
What? A console with that small screen and a shitty OLED technology? I really hope that day will never come.

But as usual Orkie resorts to personal attacks and smear instead of making any valid points about the issue at hand. You should run for political office.

[/ironic mode on]What issues?[/ironic mode off] There are here plenty of people that like the Wiz as it is.

DaveC said:
You have no interest in the Pandora then?

DaveC said:

I've actually lost count now of the number of posts you've made moaning about the Wiz screen but we get the message - YOU DON'T LIKE IT. No one is forcing you to buy the Wiz, you have the alternative of the Pandora which suits your needs better so what is your problem?

Perhaps it's that you're actively trying to put people off because of your involvement with the Pandora or maybe I'm just being cynical. If that is the case then I find that particularly sad as I have seen none of the other Pandora developers constantly criticizing or trying to scare people away from the Wiz in the way that you have.

ruckage said:
Perhaps it's that you're actively trying to put people off because of your involvement with the Pandora or maybe I'm just being cynical. If that is the case then I find that particularly sad as I have seen none of the other Pandora developers constantly criticizing or trying to scare people away from the Wiz in the way that you have.
I don't think that's the case. It's more like if DaveC doesn't like something he can't imagine why the rest of the world could like it. That's the way fanatics think and react and he can't help it.

Peter R said:
Third, the reason no one knows the answer to these questions is probably that people aren't wasting their time testing SquidgeSnes or whatever on the Wiz and are actually using their time to do more worthwhile things and hence no one has the numbers or videos.
I would think testing things like SquidgeSnes would be a great use of time, I wouldn't want to pre-order something advertised as being more powerful than the gp2x without having evidence of this power. Most people who buy a Wiz are going to get one to run emulators on it so statistics on emulator performance increases would be a selling point. I understand that GPH is trying to support homebrew more which is great, however based on the gp2x archive downloads you can't reasonably expect homebrew too have as large an impact on those who already own gp2x's as emulators. Are you actually trying to justify a company's decision to take pre-orders on a product with such a small amount of information?

2.8 is a little small imho..

Same here, 3,5 wouldn`t hurt size that much. Looking at F100, they could make it even bigger without changing anything. About 5mm from each side for sure.

OLED - that is good, might drain less power so we`re could possibly get better battery life.

Anyway, i like it.
Would love to see more buttons and higher resolution in future releases.

If people are worried about the power of the wiz running emulators, here's an idea, why not wait for the thing to be released and then for the early adopters to report back; where's the urgency?

Jackd said:
I would think testing things like SquidgeSnes would be a great use of time, I wouldn't want to pre-order something advertised as being more powerful than the gp2x without having evidence of this power. Most people who buy a Wiz are going to get one to run emulators on it so statistics on emulator performance increases would be a selling point. I understand that GPH is trying to support homebrew more which is great, however based on the gp2x archive downloads you can't reasonably expect homebrew too have as large an impact on those who already own gp2x's as emulators. Are you actually trying to justify a company's decision to take pre-orders on a product with such a small amount of information?
No, what he is saying is that those people with prototypes do not appreciate GP32x-ers trying to bully them into doing something they have no interest in. We aren't employed by anybody to do anything - if you want me to port a boring old SNES emulator, it is going to cost you for my time and it wouldn't be cheap either ;).

If people are worried about the power of the wiz running emulators, here's an idea, why not wait for the thing to be released and then for the early adopters to report back; where's the urgency?

No way! It`s much better to dream about it while it`s still frozen :)

Orkie said:
No, what he is saying is that those people with prototypes do not appreciate GP32x-ers trying to bully them into doing something they have no interest in. We aren't employed by anybody to do anything - if you want me to port a boring old SNES emulator, it is going to cost you for my time and it wouldn't be cheap either ;).
Really? GPH bought your opinion with a $200 handheld...

kevcal said:
The point is we don't want the early adopters too get screwed over, i'm sure there will be significant performance increases but I would be interested in actual facts before ordering... would it have been that difficult to send a unit too they're primary distributor who would have happily compiled some performance statistics.

well considering craigs position with the pandora, he may not be in the best of relations with GPH considering he's marketing to the same crowd and very well probably forced GPH to anounce/release the wiz earlier than intended so that it could compete with the pandora, causing gph to scramble for designs, advertising, and last detail costing them money, and possibly quality...all because of the mighty craiginator :p

Linkous said:
well considering craigs position with the pandora, he may not be in the best of relations with GPH considering he's marketing to the same crowd and very well probably forced GPH to anounce/release the wiz earlier than intended so that it could compete with the pandora, causing gph to scramble for designs, advertising, and last detail costing them money, and possibly quality...all because of the mighty craiginator :p
Yeah, Craig (although I am sure a person of virtue) may not be the best person to post test figures ((Pandora or Wiz purchase decision will affect some people [whatever some say] - I know I'm torn between the two at the moment) and I don't think he's asking to.

A quick post from someone with a Wiz comparing gp2x vs wiz fps figures. would be nice, but my suspicion is that possibly no-one's got the HW blitter (whatever) going(?) so any comparisons would be completely meaningless.. (anyone have any details on current graphics HW use?).

I hope that both are successful - especially the pandora as it is a very brave project to start and they deserve every success for their endeavours; if money wasn't such a problem I would happily be getting both, but as I say - I need to make a choice..

Jackd said:
No, GPH bought my services to help them improve SDL and get a hardware lib going with a rather more than $200 (since mine is actually CNC-ed) handheld. My opinions regarding emulators are purely my own (it just so happens that most homebrew developers share that opinion).

And at the end of the day, bullying isn't going to get you anywhere.

Jackd said:
Orkie said:
Orkie said:
No, GPH bought my services to help them improve SDL and get a hardware lib going with a rather more than $200 (since mine is actually CNC-ed) handheld. My opinions regarding emulators are purely my own (it just so happens that most homebrew developers share that opinion).

And at the end of the day, bullying isn't going to get you anywhere.

I'm sure many would like to see these figures, but I respect Orkie's position. He has no interest in emulators so why should he spend his own time porting one? As the recipients of dev versions seem to be from the homebrew side, it might be there is nobody with a Wiz at the moment that is especially interested in doing this right now.

I also totally understand why Craig wants some info. But it is interesting that GPH don't seem to want or be able to supply it. Ultimately, it could be their sales that suffer, although I hope that Wiz and Pandora are both very successful.

Orkie said:
Jackd said:
No, GPH bought my services to help them improve SDL and get a hardware lib going

I do not know if this a right moment... but could you please say how much perfomance of SDL_Mixer will be raised(in compassion to the dynamic linking library in Gp2x Firmware 2.1.1)? Mixing together long sounds (>30ms) caused me lag :(

Got some time to do further testings. By overclocking to 240MHz my game "Wumbo's Adventure", limited to 30FPS ran quite OK on the GP2X.
On the WIZ, I get 60 FPS, with the stock clock rate easily. Yes, it is fast.
I have no idea how to port an emulator, though. And if I had, I were totally non interested in it's performance. I really wish this thing could be a gaming handheld with new software instead of all the emulated stuff we have played for years now.
The only reason for the use of emulators is to remake a game ;)

Back