Gplinux Guide

Octavious posted on Sep 16 2004 at 05:22 PM said:
If anyone could find an easy way for me to learn linux, once I get a chatboard and a 128 mb card I could try to make one

~Octavious

But if it is an easy way it would work for others too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Octavious posted on Sep 16 2004 at 05:22 PM said:
If anyone could find an easy way for me to learn linux, once I get a chatboard and a 128 mb card I could try to make one
Try it on the PC with some live-cd distro like knoppix ( http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html ) or insert ( http://www.insert.cd ) first. Most important thing is to get to know the command line. All what you've learned there can be transferred to 99.9% to GPLinux. Trying to learn Linux on GP32 is like learning to jog with your shoelaces tied.

Greetings,
SvOlli

Yeah, I know how to use Linux. How do we get it on the GP32? How much are chat boards?

gp32boy2 posted on Sep 16 2004 at 04:10 PM said:
Yeah, I know how to use Linux. How do we get it on the GP32? How much are chat boards?
You have several options to really interact with gp32linux:
- get a chatboard
- get a supported usb/ethernet adapter and telnet to you gp
- get a serial cable and telnet to you gp (using SLIP)
- soon u will be able to use a genuine USB keyboard

There are several releases out now, depending on what u want to do, but there is no real distribution yet...

By the way I just found a method that allows you to use a single (big) .FXE file to boot gp32linux, so there is no need anymore for separate initrd and zimage files.

If u want more precisions, just ask

cyberic

cyberic posted on Sep 16 2004 at 04:45 PM said:
By the way I just found a method that allows you to use a single (big) .FXE file to boot gp32linux, so there is no need anymore for separate initrd and zimage files.

WOAAAAOOO :) fantastic :) now it won't need anymore any Guide on how to install this, you solve every problem here ;) when will you relese this Cyberic??? :) (or where can we find this?? ;p)

Ah, common people, you don't want to tell me that the "installation" consisting of moving initrd and zimage to /gpmm/linux and the bootloader.fxe to /gpmm would be too hard to understand when reading the gp32linux readme?

Yes, 32mb SMC is enough (and plenty).
No, you can't learn linux from one day to another.
Yes, you should read about how to use command line.

Tidus posted on Sep 16 2004 at 06:20 PM said:
WOAAAAOOO :) fantastic :) now it won't need anymore any Guide on how to install this, you solve every problem here ;) when will you relese this Cyberic??? :) (or where can we find this?? ;p)
Come on, do you really need a guide to transfer 3 files into /gpmm/linux????

I can provide the .fxe you want, just tell me which gp32linux release you want...

The final file size is roughly 100kB+initrd size+zimage size, which should be around 2/3 MB

cyberic posted on Sep 17 2004 at 10:09 AM said:

I can provide the .fxe you want, just tell me which gp32linux release you want...

The final file size is roughly 100kB+initrd size+zimage size, which should be around 2/3 MB

no I don't need it, but I think about those who are too lazy to move them or got troubles to make it run, then it should be great to get only a fxe to solve every problems like this ;)

Tidus posted on Sep 17 2004 at 11:00 AM said:
cyberic posted on Sep 17 2004 at 10:09 AM said:

no I don't need it, but I think about those who are too lazy to move them or got troubles to make it run, then it should be great to get only a fxe to solve every problems like this ;)

Yes and it will also allow us to have different releases on the same SMC

Also if you wanna start you can use Damn Small Linux which is not really a great graphical distribution but can help with your command line

Back