Gps Development

Personally, I got a GPS unit and let me tell you how much easier it makes long trips. Am I the only one interested in the idea of putting that on the Pandora or is anyone else?

I am quite interested in it, but my problem is I'll probably have enough money to buy either 2 16GB SD cards or 1 and a GPS unit (I've got my eye on this one). I'm still not sure which I'm going to do.

From what I've read, a program called Viking is one of the best navigation software for Linux. Someone should probably port that.

Do you mean build hardware GPS into the Pandora?
That might be difficult seeing as how according to craigx, it is stuffed to the brim.
It does have BT, which opens up a lot of very high quality BT GPS receivers.

Kings said:
I bought a BT GPS receiver in less than 24hours after it was announced officially that the :pandora1: would have BT.

Keychain BT GPS

Now I'll have a hard time losing my keys. :p

Uh, VERY cool, and now on my To-Buy list.

Last edited by a moderator:
JakeK said:
So that is just a receiver right? Then you would just BT to the Pandora and view the program which utilises the receiver?
Correct. USB and BT GPS receivers just send a stream of lat/long positions to the computer. It's up to software on the computer to do something useful with those numbers like plot them on a map and figure out routing directions.

It is possible to feed those numbers directly into Google maps and get near-real-time positioning, but that obviously requires a constant wifi connection. A better solution is a port of proper nav software.

Personally, I wouldn't be buying accessories until I knew those accessories were getting supporting software, but that's just me.

Chip said:
JakeK said:
So that is just a receiver right? Then you would just BT to the Pandora and view the program which utilises the receiver?
Correct. USB and BT GPS receivers just send a stream of lat/long positions to the computer. It's up to software on the computer to do something useful with those numbers like plot them on a map and figure out routing directions.

It is possible to feed those numbers directly into Google maps and get near-real-time positioning, but that obviously requires a constant wifi connection. A better solution is a port of proper nav software.

Ahh sounds great.

Chip said:
Personally, I wouldn't be buying accessories until I knew those accessories were getting supporting software, but that's just me.
Same here, otherwise it would be a useless chunk of plastic.

Maemo mapper would do the job. I really enjoyed that app on my n800 whenever I needed to get directions. It worked really well with my bluetooth gps thing, and even had a turn-by-turn voice output. It's under the gpl, so it's possible that it could be ported.

Edit:
link: http://gnuite.com:8080/nokia770/maemo-mapper/

Megamixman said:
Do you mean build hardware GPS into the Pandora?
That might be difficult seeing as how according to craigx, it is stuffed to the brim.
It does have BT, which opens up a lot of very high quality BT GPS receivers.
Well since it supports bluetooth now you can use either bluetooth gps like a lot of phones support now or usb adapter. And then like the other fellow said using viking. Should be interesting to see where it goes.

This may be a good place to start in terms of setting up BT GPS devices on Linux.

Tom` said:
This may be a good place to start in terms of setting up BT GPS devices on Linux.

Gentoo yet again never fails to provide an always-enjoyable feeling of never being let down by the always-knowledgeable Gentoo wiki! :D

Back