Gps Dongles

Navit is already in the Angstrom repository. ;) www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=navit

Re: Bluetooth battery charging, I don't know about other models but my little Emtac unit charges via a mini USB plug. Between Pandora's USB port and the cig. lighter to USB adapter in my car, I'll never have to worry about whether or not I remembered to charge it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be good if we new one device that would definanateley work with Pandora (not just gps device) to be able to standardise it for usability. I know some of you will say why standardise when its all open source etc etc, but I think for something like gps it would be useful as I am sure there are going to be a few "how do I link my gps to pandora posts" when its out.
If someone could say this device defo works, and this is how you configure it with this mapping software, it would be most useful!

That's where the wiki will come in. We've already kicked off a USB compatibility page, and once we get our Pandoras we can really start filling it with information.

I'm not sure, but every bluetooth device should work when it simply emulates an RS232 port where it sends over its GPS info.

For me it is not necesarry, but as I read here some might want a gps device in the pandora shop? :)

I think the OTG Usb port should be powerfull enough for at least some usb receiver.
I found one whose specification said less that 42mA.
http://www.semsons.com/giusbgpsre65.html

Really though the main hurdle of a bluetooth receiver is the battery and if it can be charged though USB, I don't see much reason for going with USB.
The only problem with bluetooth receiver is that there are some sony of them it's difficult to choose

'DAP' said:
Of course with bluetooth, you will never be allowed to use the GPS on a plane (though given our idiotic homeland security you are not allowed to use any GPS device on a plane at the moment, so the point may be moot).
Can somebody help me out here. Why would you need to use GPS on a plane?

'Squidge' said:
GPS on a plane can be fun to see how you are getting to your destination.
Ah I suppose.

I only ever tend to travel long-haul (though that's changing somewhat) so I kind of take those in-flight maps for granted.

'DAP' said:
Because the majority of the USB GPS dongles are USB full speed devices that won't work in the main USB port since it only supports USB High Speed.
And aside from needing an adapter to work in the USB OTG port, that port can not handle more than 100 mA, and it is not clear if all USB GPS dongles use less than that.
So rather than gamble on if the USB GPS device you buy will work or not, people are suggesting you get a bluetooth device to guarantee it working.
Of course with bluetooth, you will never be allowed to use the GPS on a plane (though given our idiotic homeland security you are not allowed to use any GPS device on a plane at the moment, so the point may be moot).
Well, I'd probably attach every dongle with a cable as a dongle sticking out of the Pandora directly just invites accidents... If you use a cable, you might as well use the OTG port.
I'd be surprised if a GPS dongle needs more than 100 mA as it only needs to receive, not send, but of course there are a lot of bad electronic products out there...
I guess there are use cases for both.

As for bluetooth gps dongles and battery: My current keyring bluetooth device lasts at least 20 hours on a single charge. In practice this meant that I was able to use it for a week without recharging while driving in a map-less area - it lasts longer than the devices I use it with (a PDA and a Nokia tablet).

My other, older BT GPS doesn't last that long on a charge, but on the other hand both of them seem to use nothing while not in use. The old one sits on a shelf most of the time, I check its battery status every few months and it's fine. And for the new keyring GPS I only have to charge it every couple months at most, and that's just to be sure. I only use it now and then of course, as I happen to know the way to work already.

In short, a BT GPS (particularly a modern one) is totally hasslefree.

Back