Gpsp (gba Emulator) V09-2xb_1 Released

Just to piss off Exophase ( ;P ) the aspect ratio can be fixed really easily so it can be on the "list of things to bother Exophase with!". ;)

GPM2k6 said:
I asked this on another thread, but didn't get a clear response, perhaps Exophase, or someone else could answer it:

Why does full screen on gpsp look a bit choppy? It doesn't look that way on the PSP, nor did it when I did full screen on visual boy for the GP2X.

Thanks,
Because the scaling is a fractional number. It makes some pixels look blockier than others as some are doubled and some are not. The PSP filters the screen eliminating the blockiness but then looks fuzzy. So there you are just trading blocky for blurry. I don't know what visual boy would do but can't imagine it looking very good either. Fractional scaling always has tradeoffs on a fixed pixel display.

xnopasaranx said:
I can answer that I think. It's because there are no scaling filters available as of yet. Postprocessing of the output image is very heavy on the cpu. That's why you can pretty much see all the pixels doubled.
Actually they are not *all* doubled that is why it looks bad. They can't all be doubled as 240 x 160 does scale evenly to 320 x 240 with the same aspect ratio.

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
Have you ever thought of ditching the CPU tweaker thing (it is kind of annoying anyway) and parameterize it so that you can set clock speed on a per game basis? I think that would be nice as some games need more OC than others.
Yes. Hopefully next release will be like that, but I don't know how I'll handle RAM tweaking (I don't think an all or nothing option is good, I've gotten problems with the "ideal" settings)

Maybe you could call that RAM tweak thing up through a menu in the emu? This way you don't need to see it unless you are fiddling with it. The CPU clock thing could be easily parameterized per game though I would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Yes. Hopefully next release will be like that, but I don't know how I'll handle RAM tweaking (I don't think an all or nothing option is good, I've gotten problems with the "ideal" settings)
my 2c is to just rip it out and forget about it. if people want to do ram tweaks they can always use the cpu tweaker on their own as a script.

or maybe keep the tweaker code in, but don't have it prompt the user, just auto-magically load up the stored cfg file, and if there is none then just go straight to the actual emu. that'd probably be more work than is worth it for something that is so specific to the gp2x.

in any case i don't think it makes a big difference what happens with that.

What about having the ram tweaks in a menu that is hidden unless the main file is executed with a particular command line? Thus it would be in the PSP version, in the sense of they'd be the same codebase, but unless anyone ran it with a commandline, say, "-gp2xadvancedmenus", would remain invisible and not be there to annoy anyone.

If that is an option, the same thing could also be used to remove irrelevant options (e.g. concerning scaling) from the GP2x version, assuming you can set up a PSP script to run a file with a commandline...

how about just having a line in the cfg file of gpsp that tells it which platform - psp or gp2x - it is being run on?

Wondered about that, but I'm not a fan of manually editing .cfg files to get something to work. I mean, I'll do it, but I'd prefer it if it wasn't needed since some not-so-geeks won't.

Although I suppose having an option marked "menus: GP2x/PSP" in the actual menu probably wouldn't be that intrusive.

How about a simple seperate 'setup' executable that creates a config file/ unique config per game - Often the way it was done with old dosgames with complicated setup options... Also means there can be a completely different setup executable for the PSP etc...

But yeah, I think the Cpu tweaker wants to come out... it just seriously slows startup time... Also Baldurs gate is not running mostly fullspeed on 200mhz with no fs! Great work Exophase, and thank you notaz for the bug finding.

Tobriand said:
Wondered about that, but I'm not a fan of manually editing .cfg files to get something to work. I mean, I'll do it, but I'd prefer it if it wasn't needed since some not-so-geeks won't.

Although I suppose having an option marked "menus: GP2x/PSP" in the actual menu probably wouldn't be that intrusive.
No you wouldn't need to manually edit the file. Just package whatever cfg file is needed with the release for psp or gp2x. Users will barely notice that there are two different cfgs. And if anyone ever edits the cfg file manually, just put in a comment which explains that this is to switch the options back and forth and not of any use to the user. The binaries are different anyways.

I was wondering if someone tried to run Riviera - The Promised Land. It's one of the biggest ROMs I've ever seen (33 554 432b) and I can't load it. Maybe it's because it's just too big?

While looking at the code I noticed that in the "menu_load_state" function the "get_savestate_filename_noshot" function isn't called. I usualy only use save slot 0, but when I tried to use other slots I did notice that it didn't work correctly in all cases. Didn't really look into it any furtur, just added the function in my version ;)

I'm trying to hack in 'per game' CPU speeds. But no luck so far (just tried a quick hack, but seemed to crash because I removed the CPU tweaker at startup).
Other things I changed in my personal version are:
-Default volume of 30% instead of 70%
-Info messages that show the current volume when it changes (planning to use the messages for load/save state messages)

Daid said:
-Info messages that show the current volume when it changes (planning to use the messages for load/save state messages)
Your version sounds great. On standard release, I counted that I have to press Volume Down forty times to get it to the low volume I like! Did you also change the amount volume changes when pressing UP/DOWN on volume control? It's painfully incremental as it stands.

The info messages idea sounds great too. Have you made your personal version available to public yet? (hint, hint)

imhotep said:
Daid said:
Your version sounds great. On standard release, I counted that I have to press Volume Down forty times to get it to the low volume I like! Did you also change the amount volume changes when pressing UP/DOWN on volume control? It's painfully incremental as it stands.Currently still at 1 step, but could easly be changed. Thinking about building in that you can hold it down to fastly change the volume.

The info messages idea sounds great too. Have you made your personal version available to public yet? (hint, hint)

From the readme:
NOTE: As some of you may be aware I'm pretty much tired of these
unofficial releases by people (okay, mostly single person) who
don't wish to follow my wishes. I'm in the process of asking this
person to stop, in his own language. However, I want to make
something clear. Look at the last six new features in this
changelog. I added these TODAY. I could have done them at any
time. But I didn't, because I spent many (dozens, quite possibly
hundreds) hours debugging games that people want to play. I have
always believed that this is far more important than spending time
on new features. Frankly, I'm tired of my emulator being hacked on
by other people, and if it doesn't stop I'm going to make this
project closed source.

So I rather not release my version ;) I rather see changes of mine getting put back into the main tree. I'm not happy about the changes yet, so that's another reason not to release anything.

Seems, the official GPSP is a little bit death? ^^"
I would code 24hours a day to perfectionize my stuff - but I can't code. So I gfx 24h a day to perfectionize my stuff. :lol:
I don't need the big performance-Boost-super version of the emulator but it would be cool if the little easy things like menu /save/ cpu tweak improvements etc. would be continued because it don't hurt and should be done in no time. I would do it if I could. ;)

So when comes the next "real" release? :)

fusion_power said:
I would code 24hours a day to perfectionize my stuff - but I can't code. So I gfx 24h a day to perfectionize my stuff. :lol:
I don't need the big performance-Boost-super version of the emulator but it would be cool if the little easy things like menu /save/ cpu tweak improvements etc. would be continued because it don't hurt and should be done in no time. I would do it if I could. ;)

You deserve a ban, pack your bags and fuck off until you get some manners, once you get some i'll start speaking to you with some.

sam fisher said:
fusion_power said:

You deserve a ban, pack your bags and fuck off until you get some manners, once you get some i'll start speaking to you with some.

I don't see rudeness in my post compared to your one. I just asked and don't gave some kind of orders or wanted to diss people, sorry if this was understood wrong. I do my best but my english is not perfect yet. :(

sam fisher said:
Programmers don't like being pestered. You are saying "I would work 24 hours a day so, Exophase, so should you!".
Hm, ok this could be missunderstood, you are right. But I don't wanted to say this. I only sayed this relative to myself, when I COULD code I would try to do this 24hours thing, because I'm a little bit maniac and can't stop/sleep/eat... until a problem is solved. I don't expect this from other people and I'm glad that the most people are not like me. ^^" Since one week I try to handle the cube2 engine from "Sauerbraten" (PC) ( http://www.sauerbraten.org/ ) for example (would be a nice add for our GP2X to :) ) And since one week I build on a bridge....just a stupid little bridge... I don't know why but I cant stop until this thing is perfect :lol:

Uh, whatever. I don't want to force someone to code Software quickly only because I want it. I'm not EA or another Software publisher.
I'm glad that there are people who do such nice things for the GP2X and the comunity, without them our Handheld would be nothing. :)

...so but excuse me, I have to build a bridge. ;)

sam fisher said:
fusion_power said:

No need for that man, his post could be read in a number of ways Honestly I didnt see that rudeness that you saw, it seemed like he was enthusiastic about coding, and just that he couldn't.

No need.

A little civility goes a long way toward world peace, you know.

Back