Gpx2 Early Adopters

Will you buy the GPX2 at launch or soon after?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Huxley

Gamera, King of Monsters
Website
www.animeboredom.co.uk
Just to gauge the interest in this thing, how many are planning to buy at launch or soon after? I believe early adopters are critical to a console like this, because without enough community support it will just keel over and die. And many people including myself will probably only buy if we see that it's getting enough support in the first place...

Looking at GPH's naming contest, it would seem that GPH's main market will be Europe and the US - almost 1000 entries from English speaking visitors and less than 200 from Korea. I guess some Koreans could be using the English language site to submit their entries, but that wouldn't make much sense. Hmm.

As much as I'd love to be one of the first to have one I also have to take into account that I dont even know if I'll have the money for it when it comes out.

Don't forget GPH have said that they are working on emulators in house, and some will ship with the system, so it may not require loads of developers to become early adopters.

Myself however, I won't be buying one on launch day, but if it gets good reviews, I might shortly afterwards :)

If GPH genuinely are developing their own first-party emulators, surely nintendo and co. will have something to say about that? I wouldn't be surprised if they never see the light of day...

As of now I'm undecided on the GPx2. While it's potentially a great homebrew console, until there's guarantees of quality software I'll find it difficult to warrant buying. I guess its media capabilities might justify the low asking price alone, but I'll at least read early opinions first.

Yes, I can't answer my own poll :p

Emmulators arn't illegal only roms. Nintendos "emmulation pattent" has no baring on this situation either. (heck due to it's wording I'd be surpised if they could file legal action against ANY thing.)

A most definite YES, I have already pre-ordered mine :D and even if if there was no emulators/software at launch time, I will still be purchasing the GPx2. Mainly for it`s media capabilities, Which are great by any standards (Judging by the quoted specs and runtime etc), Which my pocketpc or windows mobile phone can not even match for the price. Hopefully the more early adopters there are, The more chance devvers will see the GPx2 as a viable platform. If not, Then i get to keep a great, unique and in-expensive media player and i will still be happy. :)

Trooper

Alpha2 posted on Aug 10 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
Emulators arn't illegal only emmulators. Nintendos "emmulation pattent" has no baring on this situation either. (heck due to it's wording I'd be surpised if they could file legal action against ANY thing.)

That's true, it's been said many times that the patent is actually worthless, but what they are relying on is the same thing all the other "big boys" do, are you going to agree to a C&D letter and be safe, or ignore it and have the possibility of court action and huge costs/fines ?

Nintendo have done this before don't forget - took someone to court, lost the case, and then proceeded to take them to court several more times until the legal costs were too high for the small company they were sueing, and so they had to accept and gave up anyway, or end up possibly going bankrupt.

Anyway, if GPH make the emu's open source and downloadable to all, whats the difference between GPH bundling the emu's with the machine, and Craig bundling the emu cd with a gp32? (I think I remember it being advertised on the gbax website, as my original flu came with the cd).

If the GPx2 is <= £100, then I'll get one just for the sake of it, but if it's > £100, I'll have to think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that makes me concerned about the future of these first-party emulators is GPH's brave move in advertising emulation as a selling point of the hardware itself. Sure, Nintendo probably wouldn't waste much effort taking Rlyeh to court for his Gameboy emulator, but if there's a reputable company out there boasting that this thing emulate the SNES for free when that's one of the Revolution's key features (for a price, of course), I'm not so sure anymore.

If not, Then i get to keep a great, unique and in-expensive media player and i will still be happy.

If only everyone else shared your boundless enthusiasm! The poll is currently much closer than ideally I'd like it to be :(

myself im interested in the emulators - im really after something that can play a decent beat em up or even lo and behold neo geo pocket!!
mame or even just neogeo fighters is enough seriously i love my gp32 i bought gp32 games but tend to play more emulated megadrive games and nes games than anything else - im even willing to sell or swap my ps2 with 100+games for the chance to play a decent handheld neogeo fighter on this handheld 32meg and i was like oh 32 meg again, as soon as i knew 64meg memory could play neogeo games it changed my mind on this issue completely.

Hux - I wouldnt bee too concerned until Nintendo actually recognizes it. Which might never happen with a company as small as this.

The minute nintendo makes a move, GHP has only to make changes ti their advertisments and maybe they stop selling the system with emulators packed in but by then there will probably be a hundred sources on the net you can get them from. They can't stop GPH from producing the X2 because to do that they'd have to be able to stop PC makers and Laptop makers and Sony and M$ and even themselves because all these machines can run emulators, it just a matter of someone programing it and putting it out there for people to use.

Preordered from GP32z. Actually, I'm wanting it mainly for the media capabilities, I have my GP32 for emulation stuffs, although when GPx2 does get emulators, they will almost cetainly be more advanced than GP32s, and that will just be an added bonus for me.

The release date is just so close to when they announced it. I would love to be an early adopter, but I highly doubt I'll have that kind of money by then (what with buying the console and a decent size SD card.. I don't want less than 1G, really).

Plus I have to buy a GBA micro. :ph34r:

Hello gameparkerians :) I'm new here, nice to see such strong community.

I voted "Yes" even though I'm not completely sure yet. I'm still pondering wheter I should get GP32 or wait till GPX2 is out. I'm going to Korea soon so I guess I find easily both there anyway. PSP is tempting as well but GPX2 seems to be perfect for emulators and homebrew stuff, and that's what I'm most interested in! Thanks for informative site and board.

Aww heck, I'll buy one if the early reviews are good and I've got the cash to hand. I wonder if GPH will be able to meet demand? Looks like this thing is going to be pretty popular! :blink:

The TV-out fuction sold me, I was thinking of the XGP (if it turned out to be open source) but TV-out is a big bonus for me.

I'll get it, in fact I'll walk to Play-Asia's headquarters to get one, that's what I did with lik Sang!

Back