New Gp2x Site And Good News

Oh, great...so it's good news that we'll soon need a new forum section for GP2X-F200 and a bin to throw our obsolete F100's in? They're already planning a successor before they've even released the GP2X. I'm sorry but I can't see any good news here. Bad move, GPH <_<
Yeah, I know what you mean. Just imagine how pissed off people must have been when it was announced that TV had been invented and they all had to throw away their obsolete radios.

Really bad analogy there. The TV and the radio is not specific models of design but technological concepts. Also the TV was never intended as a replacement for the radio and it is still here 50 years later. Further, the TV was never introduced as a solution to problems with the radio before radio was even released. If it had you can imagine that it would have affected radio sales.

:D :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not really an error. It'll be a more expensive item. You will pay more and get a expensive battery built in, plus the extra USB host feature.

But talking about it now is an error. They might be losing customers this way and GPH should focus on the actual "F100". It even didn't ship yet... Many people preordered it (I too) and how it does look? Another delay of a product I already paid and talks about a succesor fixing some deficiencies of the GP2x (repeating - what is already paid).

I don't want to pay more for this, so I wont when it comes out. I'll be happier with the F100 which is more suited towards me.

Will you also complain when it is released at a higher price?

The "F200"? Well... imagine it has everything that the GP2x doesn't but how much more it can cost? Not much because if it will get to the PSP's price level then good luck competing. So unless "F200" is something vastly different than the GP2x (not just some fixes) it looks like a marketing disaster for me.

I'm still calm but... if the shipping date will be pushed again I'll get angry.

Its all good. GPH have received a lot of stick about it not including XYZ feature. WIFI,Hard drive,Lithiam Battrey,USB Host and have said all along we will have them in in GP2Xnext.

Other than WI-FI its all noncence anyway. Multiplayer gaming maybe if I knew more people with a GP2X.

Hard drive is just stupid, SD getting cheaper larger even 4GB-8GB dropping in price all the time. Even sony are using them in their mobiles(I suspect my next mobile will use SD cards whatever it is).

Thats 2-4 seasons of buffy. Even i-pods have moved to solid state now(with built in obselence).

I can't think of one device that I want to attach to my GP2X, a keyboard/scanner!?!? perhaps for a bit of fun, but really its of limited appeal.

Lithiam battery is a disadvantage not an advantage. Its adding it for the above becuase more power is needed, now if a super ninja cpu was added, and it was needed for that. I'd change my mind.

All of the above adds to the cost, which is one of GP2X main selling points.

Now if it came with a better cpu;more memory;640x480 screen. I might be a bit put out, but they are not saying that. I think the fact that they are intending to keep producing a device is a good think as long as its compatible is superb.

I think f-200 device is being designed as a stronger video player.

If this device is a GP2X-f100 but with more video orientated, its fantastic. I don't want one, but it will be a big boost to the community, and will temp those for whom these things were important(not me like I say I just think they are stupid esp with the way SD is dropping, I'm not sure I regret getting 1GB with my GBax).

Rember with linux this device is pretty futureproofed :)

I belive this is not a competing device but complementry one. One for the snobs/Wi-fi obsessives/video enthusiasts/Not Me. I suspect those with the F-100 will have a better device.

First, the Korean ID thing, it's pretty much standard thing in Korea to ask the ID to prevent fraud and ID theft. It's not a measure against foreigners.

Second, from http://www.gp2x.co.kr/support/support_faq_...&page=1&part=01, all the person who answered the question said is that they are CONSIDERING putting rechargeable battery in the next machine (F-200 temporary name). I don't know which part people don't like. There is a future machine in plan part? Or, them trying to address peoples' concern part? Of course, every company starts working on the next machine right after the current one. If you believe your PSP is the last PSP model you'll ever see, that means the PSP will fail, which, I personally, believe what they deserve. ;)

I guess, the guy may not be too smart to spill the bean so fast, but if I may put a positive spin on it, you won't see it from Sony; you've seen it from GPH only because they are small company that is trying its best to appeal to customers HONESTLY. I still remember that when I called Sony back in early days of PS2, the customer rep insisted that firmware updates don't address any issues other than spelling errors on menus, not DVD compatibility issue or any other major issues. If you prefer the company to lie to you like that, GPH is definitely a wrong choice for you.

First, the Korean ID thing, it's pretty much standard thing in Korea to ask the ID to prevent fraud and ID theft. It's not a measure against foreigners.

Second, from http://www.gp2x.co.kr/support/support_faq_...&page=1&part=01, all the person who answered the question said is that they are CONSIDERING putting rechargeable battery in the next machine (F-200 temporary name). I don't know which part people don't like. There is a future machine in plan part? Or, them trying to address peoples' concern part? Of course, every company starts working on the next machine right after the current one. If you believe your PSP is the last PSP model you'll ever see, that means the PSP will fail, which, I personally, believe what they deserve. ;)

I guess, the guy may not be too smart to spill the bean so fast, but if I may put a positive spin on it, you won't see it from Sony; you've seen it from GPH only because they are small company that is trying its best to appeal to customers HONESTLY. I still remember that when I called Sony back in early days of PS2, the customer rep insisted that firmware updates don't address any issues other than spelling errors on menus, not DVD compatibility issue or any other major issues. If you prefer the company to lie to you like that, GPH is definitely a wrong choice for you.

But this announcement will kill developement for the current model. Why waste alot of time developing emus and stuff for this one when it is already obsolete before it even comes out? Maybe just wait 1 year and develop for the new one. If the new one will be backwards compatible then it would be OK but we don't know if it will be.

That was a tactical error by GPH. Many computer companies have done just that (mention a succesor BEFORE the 'original' has been sold), always with disasterous results.

Now many will wait for the better 'F200', with what the GP2X should of had in the first place.

So it has a 5V Lithium battery and USB (1.1) Host capacity, anyone heard about WiFi?
Although with USB Host you could buy a USB WiFi adaptor anyhow.
I'm also shure some enterprising hardware hacker would cram a USB hub+WiFi circuit inside the F200 and still keep the USB Host available too.

Hopefully they will move ALL the Connectors to the Top or bottom of the device.
(and keep them away from where your hands would be if you were trying to play it)
Code:
FRONT
          MMC/SD Slot
          |
 USB Host |     Headphone Jack
    |     |    \|/
/--[=]---[==]---o------\
|  |  (-----------)  X |
| -*- (-----------) A B|
|  |  (-----------)  Y |
|     (-----------)    |
|  ...             ... |
\---\==++===+++===%=/--/
       /|\   /|\ /|\
        |     |   DC 5V/3V power
        |     |
    USB Slave (Mini port B)
              |
             TV + Ext (serial/JTAG) port

BACK

/--[=]---[==]---o------\
|    /------------\    |
|    |  Battery   |    |
|    |            |    |
|    \--[=====]---/    |
|          /|\         |
\---\==++===|++===%=/--/
             |
         CF/IO Port
Well GP had the NLU, then the FLU then the BLU. Those turned out OK? right?

Second, from http://www.gp2x.co.kr/support/support_faq_...age=1∂=01, all the person who answered the question said is that they are CONSIDERING putting rechargeable battery in the next machine (F-200 temporary name). I don't know which part people don't like. There is a future machine in plan part? Or, them trying to address peoples' concern part? Of course, every company starts working

No, this wasn't the point. Of course all companies are working on future products but announcing something new when the GP2x didn't ship yet...
Honesty is a good thing but this is a business and making just allusion to the "F200" has a bad sense. People might decide to wait for this "F200" instead of buying the GP2x. Then what?

Of course the "F200" might be year away, probably will cost more and so on. But if something like "F200" would show say a month from now, costed moderately more than GP2x and has all the things people wanted extra (USB host, faster cpu, more memory) then people who bought the GP2x will get angry.

If it us just adding wifi, usb host and a lithium battery it will be gp2x 1.1 or 1.2

NONE of these addons will change the MMSP2 in any way, only software supporting or needing these additional features will be affected.

You can add them as an extra model.

Like Xbox360 Core model and whatever else it is they expect to pay more for.

If you can't afford/don't need features, don't get a super one. Get the regular one.

Again, GAMEPLAY is unaffected by these things

The fact is that it WAS a bad market decision to even mention the F-200 at this point. I'd delete that post on GPH site and this thread too if I could.

You absolutely don't want people to know about a future product when you're about to release your current one. You're creating your own competition.

Giving vague information about a future product without any specific facts is even worse. You create confusion, speculation, hesitation and anger. Attention is drawn away from the current release to a vague future hope.

If I was a boss on GPH I'd fire the person who released that information. Now when they dropped the bomb I just hope they're smart about it. Either kill the information immediately or come clean and tell the customers what and when in order to avoid avoid speculation: release time, specs, compatibility, etc.

The fact is that it WAS a bad market decision to even mention the F-200 at this point. I'd delete that post on GPH site and this thread too if I could.

You absolutely don't want people to know about a future product when you're about to release your current one. You're creating your own competition.

Giving vague information about a future product without any specific facts is even worse. You create confusion, speculation, hesitation and anger. Attention is drawn away from the current release to a vague future hope.

If I was a boss on GPH I'd fire the person who released that information. Now when they dropped the bomb I just hope they're smart about it. Either kill the information immediately or come clean and tell the customers what and when to avoid speculation.

What is worse is that we don't know if the two will be compatible. If not the GP2X is stillborn, R.I.P. Why develop for it if a new and incompatible one will be out next year? If they are compatible that it is not too big a disaster as all of the software will work on both.

Personally I don't like li-ion batteries as they are too propriatary and they degrade if not kept charged so you always have to keep charging whether you use or not.

It was a very stupid move, GPH is not the brightest. Would Microsoft announce the Xbox 720 tomorrow? No.

Well they can still perform damage control.

Say the F200 is not until 2006/7.

Say its not an upgrade but a Deluxe version of the GP2X.

(does same things/ fully compatible, just costs more $$$ and has a higher bling factor)

It will cost $500. still want one?

ect...

This doesn't seem like a major upgrade to me so much as a minor change. Thinking about the features themselves, it's a trivial difference.

USB host sounds lovely, but exactly what purpose would it serve? Forget the fact that drivers have to be made, what USB device would you want to power? You don't need WiFi anymore, and I really don't understand why people want USB HDs (anyone want to fill me in?).

WiFi? As if I expect to ever see another person with GP2X, or a hotspot away from my home... And if I'm at home, I have access to *not* portable online games, which tend to be... better. But if I really did want it, there's always SDIO.

And the battery thing doesn't matter to me at all. If I lose my charger, I can't run down to the local CVS and get a new one - I need to order one, and probably from another country, and if I want to take my honey on a super long trip (especially to another continent), I won't be able to swap. The only thing that I think an Li-Ion has on AA's is how long it'll last after one charge, but you can always just bring along more AA's...

Personally, I'm glad I'm getting my hands on an F100, but everyone is right in saying that it was a bad marketing move.

They're just trying to keep everyone happy after hearing the "whinge, whinge, it doesn't have this!" comments. Badly timed? Yes. Making the GP2x obselete and not worth developing for? Fuck no. Some people here need to calm down.

IMO, if they're gong to stick with the story, what they need to release in order of importance (marketing wise) is this:

1. Compatiblity. no backward compatiblity would be a nail in GPH's coffin. Good bye.
2. Estimated release. 3, 6, 12 months or even more?
3. Performance upgrades. CPU? Memory?
4. Functional upgrades. WiFi? USB host? HDD? Screen?
5. Price range. GP2X range or above? maybe even above PSP range?

I can't really see that they'd not make it backwards compatible. They absolutely have to make that clear though.

DaveC said:
But this announcement will kill developement for the current model. Why waste alot of time developing emus and stuff for this one when it is already obsolete before it even comes out?

What the hell are you talking about?

GP32: NLU... then FLU.... then BLU

All fully compatible.

GBA: regular... then SP... then Micro

All fully compatible.

It will be the exact same thing.

And personally I would RATHER NOT have all that "extra" junk like Li-On battery, WiFi, USB host, etc. I wouldn't use any of it (and MUCH prefer good AA rechargables), so I'd simply not want it clogging up the system.

I think it's not a bad move by GPH -- it lets people know to buy this machine now to get in on the community and start using/enjoying, then when/if the F-200 comes out just sell your current unit and upgrade if those features are important to you. Win-win.

What is the problem?

I can't imagine it'll be very different at all. Do you have any idea how many different PlayStation models there are out there?

It's pure vapourware! GPH are just trying to satisfy the masses by promising what all of the (whingy) customers think is missing from the 2x. Any company who knows what they're doing would wait until *after* the release of their current product, but as most of us know, GPH haven't got a clue :D

Back