Best Gp2x Movie Yet...

Cyclops posted on Oct 20 2005 at 09:35 PM said:
I don't think it is a biggie, although I don't think anyone thinks a long startup time is a good idea. I think most people think it can be reduced. I'm interested as to why the long startup file, and are wondering how it can be can be reduced, and I think its healthy to look at ways of reducing it especially If its going to inpede playing. Its well known that users often choose software based purely on its start-up time thats why Microsoft(and others) spend so long and often inefficent ways of increasing this. I think the suggestions of.

1) better kernel. Newer/more lightweight kernel

Won't change much. Kernel image loads almost immediately. Only if the all of firmware's programs were totally monolithic then perhaps bootime could be decreased significantly.

2) state saving

Eventually a good idea especially the GP2x has only 64MB of ram. However the i/o perfomance must be adequate, otherwise it won't be faster.

3) faking startup

What do you mean by this?

are good and common ways or reducing startup times. I also think its probably sensible, that GPH should concentrate on making it stable as opposed to fast. I suspect very stongly there will be an overload of linux people wanting to tweak the kernel to the fastest boot time, and including web server functionality/ftp/tea timer etc.

I don't have a GP2x myself (yet) so I couldn't see what way an os is configured. What deamons are running, what is used for a gui, etc. However I'm assuming the GP2x is booting from its internal nand memory. We might conclude the booting time depends very strongly on perfomance of it. If nand is not too fast then boottimes will be too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boot time has never been one of strong points of Linux - what was shown in the video was about what I expected. My NSLU2 takes a bit longer then that to boot. (http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-155-ProdID-NSLU2-1.php) still I'm sure plenty of work could be done to improve it. The two ideas that spring into my head is not starting unneeded services, and since the processor is dual core you should be able to start two services simultaneously without a performance hit as long as one doesn't depend on the other.

Wh... what?
It took 23 seconds to get from turning it on to having the GUI loaded. That's so trivial.

The video is fake.

:lol:

Anyway, even @ 24 seconds, it's not too bad ... we once had a PC (133Mhz Pentium) that took 10-15 minutes to start up Windows 95 ... we had to wait that long, then pres CTRL+ALT+DEL in order for it to POST, then boot ...

... never did find out what the trouble was ...

... there was a point to this all ... oh yeah .. "It's all relative"

I just LOVE the battery charge feature (charge=38%)! I can see that being really helpfull when I need to decide whether to bring an extra pair of batteries along or not. The only thing that bothers me is why does it say that there are 40 hours left? Surely no battery can last that long?

I agree with most other people here - the boot time is too long.

As for those thumbs - some people have long thumbs, and some people have really short and wide ones. Who knows why? :ph34r:

It was 1 hour 40 minutes left w/38% charge, and whatever's calculating that figure might not be accounting for the fact that some fairly above-average Ni-MH cells were being used - 2500mAh if I saw correctly from the battery hatch demonstration.

Inopia posted on Oct 21 2005 at 06:22 AM said:
At least the music player can play in 'STERO' :)

deja-vu

I watched the video and I was wondering if the screen has all those horizontal and vertical lines on it or is it just the camcorder that they shot it with?
thanks

jbb posted on Oct 20 2005 at 08:26 AM said:
Do you know if the GP2x can charge a set of rechargeable AA batteries through its DC power in? That'd be grand...
No.

ilikesheep posted on Oct 21 2005 at 03:09 PM said:
I watched the video and I was wondering if the screen has all those horizontal and vertical lines on it or is it just the camcorder that they shot it with?
thanks
I'm pretty sure that the lines have to do with screen refresh rates and the way cameras work. It won't be noticable when you're playing it.

TelcoLou posted on Oct 20 2005 at 10:53 PM said:
The video is fake.

Um, you're kidding, right? The level of paranoia on this forum regarding these videos is reaching critical mass if you're not. ;)

It was 1 hour 40 minutes left w/38% charge, and whatever's calculating that figure might not be accounting for the fact that some fairly above-average Ni-MH cells were being used - 2500mAh if I saw correctly from the battery hatch demonstration.
Even with ~$4 batteries, that's still 5 hours (probably with the screen turned on the whole time) with just two AAs -- pretty goddamn impressive.

Awesome......cant wait for mine...

I dont really mind the boot time...im a patient guy. The boot is worth it, considering all the functions and stuff the 2X does..

Epicenter posted on Oct 21 2005 at 12:08 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Oct 20 2005 at 10:53 PM said:
The video is fake.

Um, you're kidding, right? The level of paranoia on this forum regarding these videos is reaching critical mass if you're not. ;)

Yes ... I was joking.

It was a play on just that paranoia you mentioned ... hell, even Rlyeh claimed the Neo-Geo CD emu was faked ... :blink:

well it did appear so at first, and not many people knew the guy was credible then, right?? but then why would someone that has a beta fake it...that's what i thought

Back