Best Gp2x Movie Yet...

Tobriand posted on Oct 20 2005 at 02:26 PM said:
Thanks snebald - a differece of about 180kbs here between yours and Korea :)
If you have a download manager you can just add more sections to the download, it is limited to 20KB/s per each part (or something like that), but I just added loads of parts and got 500KB/s which wasn't too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, thanks snebald, for some reason I get really crappy response when it comes to Korean web sites.

Secondly, I was under the impression that the video function had the capability to do subtitles, so I'm trying to figure "Were the subtitles rendered or encoded?" because the Advent Children title ran off the edge of the screen despite the fact that the video looked appropriately rendered.

The boot time was pretty significant, I'm hoping that that gets cut down. I understand there is probably still some optimizing to do.

The interface looks pretty straight forward and I'm actually kinda glad that the joypad is another button, makes emulation menus a breeze. I was curious to see what the "Utility" function is, though I'm guessing it's format SD, or some other non-descript feature. I am hoping that the file tree is not set up like the way it is shown, but it is seriously a nitpicky kind of thing. I also noticed the lack of thumbnails or thumbnailing of videos. Again, purely cosmetic.

As a media player, it looks very capable and definitely attractive for the price paid.

I can't wait to get mine, and hope that I get it before moving in December. I am cautious as to whether it will because it takes around a week for a USPS shipment to arrive in GE. That as well as the rumored 500~1000 initial shipment makes me skeptical that I will get it before that time. 'Cause I'm figuring the bulk (if not the whole) is going to go to GBAX first. Mine is ordered from GP32Z, so that might hinder it.

Anywho, all in all, the video shows a lot of the normal operation of the gp2x, which so far looks very snazzy. Keep up the good work GPH!

UPDATE
Craig says initial shipment is 3000. Maybe I will get it by the end of November.

Downloaded quick here. It looks nice. Boot time is horrendous, almost as slow as Windows XP on a 200mhz Cyrix (slightly quicker maybe but you know heh!). Push down D pad is good, still dont agree with it not being concave. Screen looks really nice but im not sure about the extra bit that sticks out the bottom of the unit with the name on etc. I didn't have any plans to buy one but now with the news of neogeo stuff, amiga and so on I may be tempted!

Not to be knit picky but I would have like to have seen at least one game in the video. Even if it was pong or breakout it would have been nice to see a truly "interactive" shot.

Boot time is slow. If it boots like a regular linux machine then the GP2X logo is just a boot loader splash and then the real booting begins they could probably speed it up by removing the delay on the GP2X logo and replace the loading screen with an animated GP2X screen.

Kind of a "Make it fast or make it Flashy" thing. Just A thought

mrpig posted on Oct 20 2005 at 03:47 PM said:
Downloaded quick here. It looks nice. Boot time is horrendous, almost as slow as Windows XP on a 200mhz Cyrix (slightly quicker maybe but you know heh!). Push down D pad is good, still dont agree with it not being concave. Screen looks really nice but im not sure about the extra bit that sticks out the bottom of the unit with the name on etc. I didn't have any plans to buy one but now with the news of neogeo stuff, amiga and so on I may be tempted!

There is no a reason why Linux should boot so slow. Kernel itself should load in a moment. I'm sure the actual long GP2x's boot time is due a various services loading. Don't worry about that, fat will be cutted off. If not by GPHoldings themselves then by a community developers. Remember it's possible to use another Linux or boot an application directly.

snebald posted on Oct 20 2005 at 06:40 AM said:
After waiting close to 50mins for it to download I've put the video on a machine at home.
http://tott.ulkhyvlers.net/~tomte/GP2X.wmv

Hopefully you'll have more bandwith to/from me than from Korea.

Wow thanks was 12x faster! What are you uploading this over?

Is it just me or was those the uglest thumbs ever? Sorry to the person and anyone that has thumbs like that, but really...

I hope those arn't high power batteries, becuase then the battery life would really suck. I was hopping for 6-10 hours on regular batteries, but of course use my rechargeable 1850mAh batteries. This gets me worried about over clocking, with such a sort battery life like this.

Aimless_E posted on Oct 20 2005 at 01:58 PM said:
Boot time is slow. If it boots like a regular linux machine then the GP2X logo is just a boot loader splash and then the real booting begins they could probably speed it up by removing the delay on the GP2X logo and replace the loading screen with an animated GP2X screen.

Kind of a "Make it fast or make it Flashy" thing. Just A thought

There are all kind of flashy things they could do. I suspect they would be wise to ignore it, and let the kiddies spend time playing with optomising the kernel/startup, as I suspect many are itching to do so, I'm beginning to wonder how development within the company and those outside it will happen.

I was interested to read about the gizmondos 45 second startup time. I don't know what comparisons can be drawn.

Aimless_E posted on Oct 20 2005 at 02:58 PM said:
If it boots like a regular linux machine then the GP2X logo is just a boot loader splash and then the real booting begins they could probably speed it up by removing the delay on the GP2X logo and replace the loading screen with an animated GP2X screen.
There is no delay on the logo screen - that is displayed while the actual boot is taking place in the background. Don't know what that loading screen is, but I think it appears after the main boot has already completed.

Yes. Thanks snebald. That helps very much.

I can't understand the comments regarding the battery life.
The video does not show what the battery life was to start with.

I think one of the reasons they removed the battery capability from the beta units is because the battery life has not been fully tweaked yet.

Having said that however I think 4-5 hours is realisticly what we should be expecting from the GP2X.

Holy shit, that was superb.
Can't wait to put some Rahxephon, GTO, and Inuyasha clips on this thing.
Would of liked to of seen the ebook thingy but nevermind the GP2x definitely rocks. B)

woo. really nice.. i didnt know that you can push on the stick so that it is another button :) or does it just look like that

Finally I had chance to view this movie myself.

I don't found the boot time to be that bad. It's less than 30s so still could be faster but given a functionality I think it's acceptable (for me of course).

Returnig to the what was showed... quite impressive! The GP2x will be great media player for sure. If only flash's prices could be decreasing a bit faster. :)

You guys are blowing the boot-up time thing way out of proportion, it takes about the same amount of time as a dreamcast takes to boot up.

but good video!! and GTO owns!!

I agree with Jengo. It's like you expect the GP to predict when you want it to turn on and do it 10 seconds before you wanted to use it.

It's like the original Korean firmware, it's no real biggie.

I don't think it is a biggie, although I don't think anyone thinks a long startup time is a good idea. I think most people think it can be reduced. I'm interested as to why the long startup file, and are wondering how it can be can be reduced, and I think its healthy to look at ways of reducing it especially If its going to inpede playing. Its well known that users often choose software based purely on its start-up time thats why Microsoft(and others) spend so long and often inefficent ways of increasing this. I think the suggestions of.

1) better kernel. Newer/more lightweight kernel
2) state saving
3) faking startup

are good and common ways or reducing startup times. I also think its probably sensible, that GPH should concentrate on making it stable as opposed to fast. I suspect very stongly there will be an overload of linux people wanting to tweak the kernel to the fastest boot time, and including web server functionality/ftp/tea timer etc.

Back