Gpx2 Gameabout Interview

loz_the_guru posted on Sep 1 2005 at 01:08 PM said:
After seeing the video this morning and the pics of graigs, i really, really REALLY want a GPX2. I think it may be a case of time to delve into my student loan. If only I knew the final cost with VAT. Thats the thing i dislike most about craigs site, the price stated isnt inclusive of VAT, so it gets bumped up considerably.

Can anyone be arsed to work out the cost in GBP, inclusive of VAT?

Well, VAT in GBP is 17,5%, so just add that to get the final price.

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Sep 1 2005 at 08:42 PM said:
Well, VAT in GBP is 17,5%, so just add that to get the final price.

Say, isn't VAT different for different products? Could we, say, buy GP2X's for "educational" purposes, and get a 5% VAT? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Huxley posted on Sep 1 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
polooo2, your artwork is awesome.

Cheers for the translation.

Thanks. :)

polooo2 posted on Sep 1 2005 at 06:20 PM said:

Eh? that's strange I never noticed that DA link before.... But yeah, you definately kick some art-ass dude.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 2 2005 at 06:09 AM said:

Eh? that's strange I never noticed that DA link before.... But yeah, you definately kick some art-ass dude.

Thanks. I just added that up like 2 days ago. That's prolly why you didn't see it before. :D

Alpha2 posted on Aug 30 2005 at 09:08 PM said:
Better to have something we don't need than to need something we don't have!

£104 = $185.54 right now In case anyone was wondering.

A year ago GP didn't know the main reason that their console was selling so well overseas? That's crazy! Then again, many of us over here don't really know what goes on at GP32Spain... :unsure: So hando, why exactly DID they think their console was selling so well? Is there no homebrew scene in Korea?

Bum-Hong Lee doesn't look like a typical head of a company... more like an engineer really, and quite young. How many people exactly does GPH have?

polooo2 posted on Aug 31 2005 at 04:47 PM said:
Koreans are just as confused atm, but they are speculating that GPH wants to pay license fee to companies like Nintendo or Sega for emulation so they can go official rather than staying underdog- without infringing copyright laws.

That would be a very bad idea. They shouldn't even talk to nintendo about anything or even let them know they are making a handheld, let alone one that could emulate their systems. What if Nintendo said no (which they would, nintendo loves selling their old games themselves). Nintendo could sue GPH out of business before lunch. They wouldn't even have to win, the legal fees would be enough to wipe out GPH before the gavel falls. Nintendo has gobs of cash, don't fuck with them.

It is best to stay under the radar and stay lean and mean, don't try anything cute.

polooo2 posted on Sep 2 2005 at 03:26 PM said:
Alpha2 posted on Sep 2 2005 at 06:09 AM said:

Thanks. I just added that up like 2 days ago. That's prolly why you didn't see it before. :D

Wow, great artwork! I'm seriously impressed. All that talent and you can translate languages as well. Damn I'm jealous! :p

Esn posted on Sep 3 2005 at 05:56 AM said:
Is there no homebrew scene in Korea?

No major homebrew scene nor indy developers in Korea.

There are many misconception that gaming is a huge thing in Korea, but it's really not. The market is monopolized by few companies like NCsoft, Nexon and Blizzard who mainly developes Competative Multiplayer Games or MMORPG that feeds on player's addiction. Package scene is dead in Korea thus there is no attractive market for indy developers to earn money from. And as for homebrews, there aren't alot of programmers in the country as it's one of those jobs people in Korea considers as lowling. They just don't get how important engineers and programers are integral to nation's developement. Instead, students are expected and forced to be a lawyer or a doctor which older generations prefer and see as a 'successful' job.

Free time is a major factor too. Backbone of homebrew are mainly highschool to university students where they still have parents/guardians aiding them finantially and have alot of time on their hands without much to worry about.
This is a very different story in Korea, where students are graded on uber-tough mid term and final exams which decides rest of their life.
Students in Korea, in preparing for this huge exams, they are forced to stay at school from 7 in the morning till 10 in the night. They obsolutely have no life outside the education and even after the school some are forced to have tutors or attend extra learning classes. These highschool students maybe get upto 4 hours of sleep every night and the only break they get is summer and winter breaks.

It may seem that after graduating highschool they finally get some time for extra activites and hobbies, but they don't really get that freedom.
Once they graduate highschool and enroll to a college/university, they come of an age for army conscription. They're life is doomed for next 2 years of manual labour, physical harrasment and butt-fucking in some cases. You're pretty much lucky if your tent-mate don't go whack and blow you up with a grenade.

And once you're out of the army and was lucky enough to come back home in one piece, now you're starting to feel desperate for a woman because every single friend of yours are married and have a baby or two. Now your parents really start pressuring you and constantly asks you if you have a woman or not, and if you don't already have one, they'll start arranging you for those meeting services.

Once out of the college you're expected to goto a big name company and get hired by them, like Samsung or LG or whatever. At this point, if you don't get hired by those big name companies your relatives can't remember off their head, they'll talk shit about you because they don't know the name of the company and because they don't know the name of the company you're worth shit.

All that coupled with no respect for engineering and programing, you get a pretty much dead homebrew scene with no indy developers.
You're pretty much on the lucky side if you get picked up by NC or Nexon though.

Yeah. Anyways, you've just lived life of a typical Korean man. :p

DaveC posted on Sep 3 2005 at 12:57 PM said:
Damn I'm jealous! :p

Hehe thanks. :D

Geez after all that it's starting to become clear why I hear about koreans dying in front of computers in Internet cafes and such like that.

But it also explains why so little of our homebrew comes from korean programers. Almost everything we have is either from European or (continental)American programers.

Yeah, pooloo's post is making me think that the Europeans were right all along (let the economy slow, and the enjoyment of life rise). I guess they haven't figured out yet in Korea that conformity is not the path to success... at least not for those who actually have some talent. :unsure:

Yeah. This die-hard attitude comes from the fact that Korea is the only country in the world to experience a full-out war after WWII and recover from it.

Old timers saw it all happen in the process of recovering. They saw how educated people became successful and how they earned so much money when undereducated did not much more than simple farming or manual labour for meager earnings. All these got embedded in those old-timers head and it sorta became social norm to set goal for high education.

And now that they have a child themselves and public education became more abroad during the 80's and 90's, education really started booming. Parents saught for more extra tutorings and more hours for study. English, math, whatever. And with every year it became more extreme. So thus, the star-to-star public education is born.

Star-to-star, basically stands for that you wake up, goto school so early you still see the stars in the sky, and school ends only after star has come back late in the night.

It was only when I was 12 when I came to Canada and I still remeber feeling shocked to find out I'm learning the equations I've already learned back in my 3rd grade in elementary when infact at the time i was in the second grade pre-secondary.

Old timers does not understand that as Korea is one of 10 economic power houses of the world, people make enough earnings to actually enjoy life now. Old people aren't so prone to changes and they do not understand the importance of art, entertainment or technical engineering. They may have been right at the time of war when educated people were in demands for government organization, now the time needs cultures to flourish, but culture is something Koreans take lightely of.

So living in the country like this, youth are often oppressed by rigid generations and their only ventilation is things like MMORPG's where they can PK others and go KEKEKE ZERGRUSH.

Don't get me wrong though. I love my country. It's just that some things just needs to change now as time requires different approach to things. :)

Hehehe, From what I can tell it's not only in Korea. A Korean-american friend of mine suffers from that "No art only Practical education" type of life, she's a repressed artist and addicted to Ragnarok Online.

Yeah , same in here. Old heads over my country too. In Turkiye you can see the same ideas about being "Main Job Man" like doctor,engineer,lawyer or teacher but no one knows how is to be a mechanical engineer without knowladge of robotics or composite materials. I know some engineers with no knowledge of any mechanical design or any programming lang. or PC usage. But they do work for big Turkish companies so that makes them "big man"

but if you want to make something special or something "new" . People say firs "Don't fly so high"

This is the main viewpoint of our country people.

same like most asian countries.

My country is half european & half asian but we must understand and get that viewpoint of an european country and human resource of an asian country.

whatelse :ph34r:

your drawings are really nice , if you are looking for a free time hobbie (like game art ) ;) get contact me

gpx2 or 2x whatever seems more solid than xgp and can buy one too when I'm back (and after selling my gp32blu)

Julius posted on Aug 31 2005 at 08:00 PM said:
hando posted on Aug 31 2005 at 07:48 PM said:
[...]last year[...]as at that time they didn't have any idea about the GP32 open source scene: emulators and games. :)

:blink:

Hehehe :) Hard to belive ;) ? Check this photo:

I hope you'll have no problem with recognizing the guys on the right :) Guys on the left are from Radix, the factory which actually makes/assemble GP32 and probably will GP2X.

Esn posted on Sep 3 2005 at 05:56 AM said:
A year ago GP didn't know the main reason that their console was selling so well overseas? That's crazy!
Then again, many of us over here don't really know what goes on at GP32Spain... :unsure: So hando, why exactly DID they think their console was selling so well? Is there no homebrew scene in Korea?

How many people exactly does GPH have?
Who said it was selling well ? From their point of view, being at the edge of bancruptcy it wasn't a big succes ;) Anyway, whatever you could think, last year they have no idea about so called scene :) and actually why GP32 is more popular in western countries than in Korea. Even when they finally made so called "european lauch" through Virgin, after more than two years of console existence, they didn't advetise it as an open source console but as a multimedia player and game console with all those old titles since the initial launch - no word about its open source posibilities/emulation etc.
When I was visiting GPH office last year, there was like 12-15 people working there and it was said that they are actually the whole team. But you have to remember. GPH is a development company. They design stuff, create prototypes. When they have order (at least 500-1000 pieces) - a specialized factory like RADIX who makes everything from GP32 to those cool big plasma TV worth 20.000 euro, actually do the actual production. So GPH dont need to have hundreds people onboard :)

After reading that I must say Game park holdings much love you guys for your support. I mean, you guys took an ner bankrupt company and told them basicly what to do to make a comeback ^^. AWSOME ^^

Yogurting is just a beat-them-up game where players collect money to buy item so they can decorate their character.

Launch of this game ended in a total failure. The game was way too simple and repeative. Now rarely anyone plays the game.

Koreans still joke about this game like '9 million for making the promo vid and 1 million spent for the actual game' kinda jokes. :p

Majority of MMO players play either Leneage 2 or 1, where the REAL money are. Trading L2 or L1 items for real cash is illegal but people still do it. Some people are said to earn up to USD10,000 a month from it. :eek:

Back