Grand Theft Auto V

From a marketing standpoint anyone that does not own a PS3 may want to buy the GTA V bundle now...500gb PS3 w/GTA V??..269 USD.

Sony has great timing.

Man is beaten and stabbed for his launch day copy of GTA V:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/17/grand-theft-auto-stabbed-robbed-asda

I've seen threads on various forums discussing mail deliveries of the game that have gone awol too, there may be a lot of sticky fingered postal workers who couldn't ignore the obvious surge of tempting GTA V packages passing through their hands... I've even seen multiple reports of registered packages failing to turn up, but the mail services claiming they were signed for.

Forget piracy, this could be one of the most stolen games yet!

What the hell, it's just another (GTA) game, what's so special about it?

Oh great.... now we will have this whole discussion about the theory, that video games create violence, all over again everywhere. -.-

Some months ago two black brothers killed a white girl for her bicycle, the discussion about murdering black criminals in America even reached me, thousands of miles away

and I do not even have a TV-set. London as nearer and our politicians hate video games and ban and censore a lot, so I see it coming clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this story evens things in GTA's favour:

http://kotaku.com/kids-buy-gta-v-help-save-man-from-burning-house-1337709783

The usual tabloids have done the tiresome game-blaming in the Washington Naval Yard shooting story too:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680325
I find it quite disrespectful to those who died when the tabloids make up bullshit like this. Its just for the sake of a good story; the thought of actually trying to solve the problems of gun usage, and other problems in society never comes up. Society does have an appetite for violent media, games,movies, comics, books etc. The question that needs to be asked is why?

Why do people create media of such a nature? Certainly it creates an appetite for such things. But games are still like cartoons and as such the violence is not yet very impactful, movies and tv shows though can indeed be impactful imo as they often depict real life or hyper-real life as it were.

I'm liking this game so far after just a couple days on it, just done a couple missions and enjoying some free roaming exploring the vast city ... and having a little scuba diving 

I haven't tried it yet myself, but you can actually find cinemas/movie theaters where there are films playing you can sit and watch!

It's a really good looking game, you can get sucked into just wandering around for ages.

Watch out for muggers. Damsels in distress aren't always what they appear!

I've had my car stolen from an escaped prisoner.....but you also get some good contacts and friends through these "damsels in distress". met the daughter of a mob guy from GTA4

800 million dollars.... my jaw almost hit the ground thinking 800 million copies... but that's still outrageously good first day sales.

Thats still 13 million copies @ $60 which just blows the mind

What really angers me is that this game will not be playable on a PS4 since there is no backward compatibility. I did read there is going to be backward compatibility for Platinum PS3 games so perhaps GTA5 will fit that bill??
Different architecture, it's not going to happen realistically - they will be offering their own Gaikai streaming play eventually, offering PS3 games, but running PS3 game discs on a PS4 would require some real sorcery of the highest order.

As linked above, there will most likely be a PS4 edition, and I bet it'll be stuffed to the gills with extra stuff, and be a more straightforward install!
I don't understand why architecture is the reason for none backwards compatibility.

The original Xbox was Pentium 3 & the 360 is a Power PC but games from Xbox could be played on the 360 once a patch was installed for the specific game.
The Xbox360 is way more powerful than the original.  Where as the Xbox One and PS4 are only marginally better, definitely not fast enough to emulate like the Xbox360 did the Xbox.  They would have had to include the Xbox360 CPU to maintain backwards compatibility which would have raised the cost.  That is what the PS3 did at launch it had a PS2 on a chip that is what the PS3 used to run the games and that is why they slowly killed it off so they could lower the price of the system.  In theory the Xbox One could be made to run Original Xbox games.

Yep!  PC is the most versatile gaming system and will continue to be so.  Want emulation?  No problem.  Want games that are released on consoles?  No problem as most of the games on consoles, if not all, are also available on PC.  Want it to be a media player?  No problem.  Want to be productive?  No problem on the PC.   I don't see the point of buying a home console anymore these days.  After all, all games are developed on PC first by developers before gets ported to consoles...

However, there's still a lack of a good portable umpc, and this is where the Pandora has been for me.

Back