GP2X Graphic Software

Korup7

Still Fresh
In your opinion, what is the easiest to use, easiest to learn, overall best graphic software program to use for creating 2D sprites and graphics?

I would like to create graphics of this style and quality:

warcraftII_2.jpg

For best I would say Photoshop myself but it's not simple in anyway. I don't know about newer versions but there are packages that is easier to work with when dealing with sertain types of graphics. But in the end it's the skill of the user that does the trick. Have you never done any graphics before then you are up for quite a challenge. Also most programmers sucks with graphics because it requires very different skills.

Programs doesn't do the work for you. Style and quality is up to your skills.

Programs doesn't do the work for you. Style and quality is up to your skills.

Well, me being a programmer and not a graphic artist (yet), I figured some graphic software must have better capabilities than others.. Photoshop and MS Paint for example..

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, they have some different functions, but you still need to do the art on you own

there is a difference in style if you want to use vector based programs instead of raster-based programs, but you seem to want to make raster-graphics ;)

A couple come to mind, altho I have to say I have experience of neither but have heard they are both very good solutions:

Pro Motion: This commercial package has been around for some time, and is the choice of many professional commercial 2d game artists. It has many features including the ability to export to many proprietary graphics formats, as well as advanced animation tools like onion skinning (overlaying animation frames, classic technique)

There's also a cheaper Lite version and a trial version available for free download.

Interestingly enough, they are also planning to release a sub-pixel anti-aliasing plugin for Photoshop, Pixus, that aims to make graphics much clearer on small handheld screens.

A completely different tool that is perfect for creating isometric "pixel art" is Caligari Truespace. It's an old 3d tool that is now free, and I've seen some impressive iso work done with it, like over at the excellent free game graphics archive of Reiner's Tilesets.

Good luck!

Well, me being a programmer and not a graphic artist (yet), I figured some graphic software must have better capabilities than others.. Photoshop and MS Paint for example..

Digitalrat was spot on, if you have the talent, you could recreate the graphics you mentioned in MS Paint. If you suck at art on paper, you'll suck at art using whatever program you choose. Trust me, I speak from personal experience :D

The guys who are good at this stuff are not called "graphic artists" for nothing; they are, in fact, artists.
When I was in school I really wanted to try to program some nice graphic games. I soon found out that I was much better writing the backend code than I was creating the graphics. In fact I discovered that I hated dealing with the actual creation of the graphics because I sucked so bad at it.

For the graphics I do for my games, I usually use a mixture of Paint Shop Pro for all my format/palette and effect stuff and Graphics Gale for all my 2D pixel work.

Graphics Gale would be perfect for stuff like Warcraft sprites as you mentioned. Also on the plus side its free :)

I used to use this program called neopaint in the olden days.

I think if you are looking for a more simple interface, paint shop pro is very good, but all the pros I know use photoshop.

That's all I know.

I'm with Trooper on this one :

Ultimate Paint

Graphics are the hardest part of making a game. UP does all I need it to (apart from turn me into an artist). I don't think it really matters which package you use as long as it does the basics. Just become familiar with one and stick with it.

I think that the most important thing is to have an art software that supports layers and then just chose the one that you prefer. Personally I tend to do simple graphics because I can make it look great.

which is why i would like to stick with 2D ATM.

To all others bout "graphic artists", I am fairly good @ art and do do a lot of drawing in my spare time.. so i do believe i could learn to be decent in graphic design given time and practice, but i will give some of these graphic software programs a whirl to see which one i find to suite my needs.

Also, i was wondering if anyone knows of any books that are a good introduction to game graphic design kinda stuff..

Back