GP2X Space Shooter Background - Tilemap Or Big Graphic?

Alex.

Retired
I am thinking about tackling a spaceshooter game with C & SDL, and before I start doing much I need to decide upon how the scrolling background graphics would be handled. My two methods would either be a tilemap (more efficient size-wise, more flexible, but risking to become repetitive) or large whole graphic files that will scroll progressively. I'm undecided which approach to use, any ideas?

- Alex

I don't see what makes a tilemap inherently repetitive. I mean, if you do it right, a tilemap is as good as a big graphic. Theres enough power to waste on a big graphic, but its a little silly. I mean, a big graphic *definately* wouldn't cut it on a GP32.

Alex. posted on Aug 8 2006 at 08:59 AM said:
I am thinking about tackling a spaceshooter game with C & SDL, and before I start doing much I need to decide upon how the scrolling background graphics would be handled. My two methods would either be a tilemap (more efficient size-wise, more flexible, but risking to become repetitive) or large whole graphic files that will scroll progressively. I'm undecided which approach to use, any ideas?

- Alex
I would probably recommend using tiles. In the worst case, every tile is different so you're back to essentially using a single large graphic. But I'll bet that as you build "levels" you will be grateful for the ability to cut and paste tiles and if you're going to do that anyway why not save space by using a tile engine?

I believe that there are some programs for the PC that allow you to make a palette of tiles and then interactively edit the tilemap so you can see what you're doing, although I don't know what they are called or where you get them. A tool like that could be useful in helping you design levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be quite repetetive, but you could get a scrolling starfield background insanely processor-cheap by using a single 320x240 bitmap, tiled vertically to 320x480, then just offset the starting pointer when copying it onto the screen.

Yep, that's what Dodging Diamond II is doing and it looks and works great, so I might very well consider doing that instead :)

Thanks for the advice!

- Alex

Back