Half Life (original)

novaslogic said:
schnitzelboy said:
Finally someone besides me wants Half-Life on the Pandora, maybe if we bug valve about it, they'll get so sick and tired of it and they'll have to give us the sourcecode!!
Does anyone know of any statistics about how long a game survives after its engine has been released, compared to a game who's engine is open source? THAT might help them release the source code faster
unfortunatly like the other guys have said since it still sells on steam people are still buying it. Valve is a bit of a nazi company when it comes to linux. I mean.. they make great games they just don't give a shit about the linux community.

agreed, as long as theyre still making a dollar on it, they have no need to give the game up like that. look at alot of oldies like Quake 1. ID refuses to let it go to the Abandonware sites, because they still like to sell collector packs from time to time. same with some of the older Sierra games.

it would be an interesting move to allow the source code to go open source, and sell (via Steam) for like $5 or so, just Half Life. the opensource community would be making ports of the game for every system powerful enough to run it (dreamcast, linux, mac, psp?, ect). they would make a nice sales jump from all of us trying to run it on any system we can. i would pay money for the game (even though i own it already).

Last edited by a moderator:
novaslogic said:
Actually the source for Quake1 is available, I downloaded it the other day.
Everyone that has looked at the gp2x archive will know that, as it's been ported (same with Q2, and I believe the source to Q3 is available as well). However, the source code to the game engine is no use without the games data files, which are not free and still sold.

Open Arena (Q3 just other free artwork) is open source and can be ported and edited as you please..

As for quake 1 engine, it's not abandonware since Id still sells and supports it, but it's released under GNU GPL for open source, you just can't use it and not share your source unless you pay them money for rights to do so.

It's free in the sense that anyone can use it as long as you obey the rules of GNU GPL, otherwise you have to pay, same goes for Q2 and Q3 engine ;P

novaslogic said:
unfortunatly like the other guys have said since it still sells on steam people are still buying it. Valve is a bit of a nazi company when it comes to linux. I mean.. they make great games they just don't give a shit about the linux community.
That's not QUITE true. They're trying to hire several Linux developers for the server side of things and for the Client side of things. If they manage to do that, it'll be a change. Now Epic, on the other hand...they've made a recent change for the worse. They've taken to squelching inquiries about the now 5 month late Linux Client of UT3 in their forums by either deleting the thread or locking it.

Holokauston said:
Open Arena (Q3 just other free artwork) is open source and can be ported and edited as you please..

As for quake 1 engine, it's not abandonware since Id still sells and supports it, but it's released under GNU GPL for open source, you just can't use it and not share your source unless you pay them money for rights to do so.

It's free in the sense that anyone can use it as long as you obey the rules of GNU GPL, otherwise you have to pay, same goes for Q2 and Q3 engine ;P
Indeed. But, keep in mind, the ENGINE is the only thing that's licensed under that way. Your game code (which is scripting that runs ON the engine as a VM...) and the content that goes with it can be licensed as you see fit. The Q1, Q2, and Q3 engines being GPLed has brought some wondrous stuff and you actually WANT to keep in compliance with the license on the engine. For example, if you've got a Q1 title, you can pick up dynamic lighting, etc. from DarkPlaces, which is a Q1 derivative under the GPL- and not have to do a migration to Q3 unless you want to.

apparently a few years ago, Valve released an arcade version of Counterstrike called 'Counter Strike NEO', for the Asia market.

it ran on Linux, using the halflife engine (GoldSRC). it would be interesting to find that software, and see if it can be modified to run Halflife.

Clad said:
If we are refering to the same thing, it was only recompiled via winelibs. Which only works on x86 hw (so definitly not on Pandora)

what are we referring to? Counter Strike Neo? or the bastardized Quake-1/Half-Life running on linux?

Back