Handheld With Hard Drive

Hobo

Website
Visit site
Can someone tell be why aren't there handheld out which have a hard drive in them. It would be alot easier to put games and such on. Sure Sony has come out with a 4gb hard drive but that is external. Why no hard drives in todays handhelds.
P.S I don't care about cost!

Tell me anything where it would be of use expect off piracy.
If you want a media player there are tons with harddrive.

Tell me anything where it would be of use expect off piracy.
If you want a media player there are tons with harddrive.

The GP2X is being marketed as an open source console for the homebrew and emulation community, in the west at least.

Tell me where that has anything to do with piracy, it's not the bloody PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
the question wasnt why the gp2x dosnt have a harddrive but why arent there any other handhelds with. at least it sounds like that to me.

Gp is special, there is no handheld with a simmilar bsines model where a harddrive would make sense, and at gp it wasnt included couse of price, maybe in the next gp, who nows.

Hobo said:
Can someone tell be why aren't there handheld out which have a hard drive in them. It would be alot easier to put games and such on. Sure Sony has come out with a 4gb hard drive but that is external. Why no hard drives in todays handhelds.
P.S I don't care about cost!

There are dozens. They're called Pocket PCs.

Just wait until the new breed of vertically-aligned-bit micro hard drives for cellphones come out.

Then maybe we can get a new back half case with a 60GB hard drive and room for 4 2500mah AA's :D

I know that's what I'm waiting for :ph34r:

Probably will cost $200 just by itself though :(

With the average size of roms as well as homebrew, you don't exactly need huge storage space, SD cards offer plenty of space. PSX would be the exception but it's quite a long shot for that ever to really work well.
Besides that, hard drives are still quite vulnerable to shock, even though they've been improving. Now I wouldn't suggest you drop your GP2X in the first place, but when you do, chances of survival are a lot bigger without a hard drive in it.
Also, you may not care about cost, but in the big picture GPH has to keep the cost down since a lot of people will care, and it's not like they can sell the handheld at a loss and profit from the games (what games) like other companies do.

HDDs are a large power drain, an extra point of failure (microdrives are notorious for failing), expensive, take up space and you'd have to include a flash slot anyway

HDDs are a large power drain, an extra point of failure (microdrives are notorious for failing), expensive, take up space and you'd have to include a flash slot anyway

And the flash memory's prices are constantly going lower and capacities improve also. 1GB SD flash is quite cheap now and it's a huge amount of memory unless of course you want to store many movies and mp3/ogg files.

Hard drives aren't fun. They are often a pain, as said before. My ipod broke 2 times because the hard drive got messed up. I've decided to switch over to flash memory... in which case, that's why I got a gp2x.

Well, it seems like someone thought it was a good idea, because there's a 4GB HD for the PSP. It's basically just a Memory Stick-to-Compact Flash adaptor with a CF Microdrive built into it... if you really wanted to, you could probably do something similar for the GP2X. It's priced at $200 though, and considering the power drain and inconvenience, I think I'd just buy 4GB worth of SD cards instead. (Of course, PSP's use Sony's overpriced Memory Sticks, so maybe this is a better deal for those folks).

--Zero

Back