What Can It Do?

peter_brewer

Still Fresh
Okay. I have pretty much definitely decided to by a GPX2 however I have some questions as to certain capabilities through the break out board.

Does it have the ability to host USB hard drives. If so what file systems does it support? Does it support ext2?

Can I connect some form of networking device to it through the USB ports on the break out board, either WIFI or wired lan? What about bluetooth?

The reason for these questions is I am thinking of using the breakout board to create a media storage device for films and such with which the GPX2 can be docked. Then I can copy files I want on the move from the hard drive to the SD card.

Will the SD card slot support SDHC cards when theycome out?

Do any PIM tools exist for it? (I've had a look in the download archive and didn't see anything)

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Brewer posted on Feb 1 2007 at 07:26 PM said:
Does it have the ability to host USB hard drives. If so what file systems does it support? Does it support ext2?
Yes at fat32 at yes (but am not 100% sure)
Can I connect some form of networking device to it through the USB ports on the break out board, either WIFI or wired lan? What about bluetooth?
Mmm, you can connect a USB wi fi, but you will need the source code for the driver of the chip used in that wi fi stick, theoritically you can connect any USB devices that you have the source code of its driver, but that is something rare to see. Other useful usages for those USB ports are connecting a keyboard, mouse, and game pads, but you can only use them with software that support them (4 players in mame, 2 player on MegaDrive and MasterSystem... etc)
The reason for these questions is I am thinking of using the breakout board to create a media storage device for films and such with which the GPX2 can be docked. Then I can copy files I want on the move from the hard drive to the SD card.
To use the hard drive you need an external power source for the BOB\hard drive, be warned that the USB ports of the BOB are USB 1.1, which is too slow.
This is something am not sure of, some of the members here say it is a matter of software, others say no, it is a hardware issue, but since we can't even have DMA on our current SD cards (lazy GPH), then I guess it is not possible (btw, the SDHC cards are already out, you can buy them from several online stores).
Do any PIM tools exist for it? (I've had a look in the download archive and didn't see anything)
I don't know if it counts, but there is a port of Qtopia for the GP2X, take in consideration that the GP2X doesn't have a real time clock, so you can't use it as a pda replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, you've been most helpful.

Also, this is a really good community, thanks for the quick response.

I know SDHC cards have come out, I meant to say when they have come down in price.

sehs33 posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:57 PM said:
Yes at fat32 at yes (but am not 100% sure)
Mmm, you can connect a USB wi fi, but you will need the source code for the driver of the chip used in that wi fi stick, theoritically you can connect any USB devices that you have the source code of its driver, but that is something rare to see. Other useful usages for those USB ports are connecting a keyboard, mouse, and game pads, but you can only use them with software that support them (4 players in mame, 2 player on MegaDrive and MasterSystem... etc)
To use the hard drive you need an external power source for the BOB\hard drive, be warned that the USB ports of the BOB are USB 1.1, which is too slow.
This is something am not sure of, some of the members here say it is a matter of software, others say no, it is a hardware issue, but since we can't even have DMA on our current SD cards (lazy GPH), then I guess it is not possible (btw, the SDHC cards are already out, you can buy them from several online stores).
I don't know if it counts, but there is a port of Qtopia for the GP2X, take in consideration that the GP2X doesn't have a real time clock, so you can't use it as a pda replacement.

Peter Brewer posted on Feb 1 2007 at 02:01 PM said:
Thank you, you've been most helpful. Also, this is a really good community, thanks for the quick response. I know SDHC cards have come out, I meant to say when they have come down in price.

The link linoleum13 gave will provide you with a lot of good information and should address most of your other questions. It was nice of sehs33 to type all that out, but you'll usually get the quickest information by just searching (either on the forum or the rest of the Internet). Guys like shinneri have spent a great deal of time compiling guides and the newbiepedia at http://gpnewbie.com/. Good luck!

I'ma get boo'ed outta the room for this, but I honestly gotta say the purpose he wants to use the GP2X for, there's better, albeit more expensive devices out there.

I'd say for the money spent to get a breakout board, hard drive, and all this other stuff, he could get something like say, that PalmOne device with the build in Hard drive.

It just seems to me like a hard drive based device with PDA functionality will be more useful for him in this regard.

I <3 the GP2X because it is a jack of all trades device. It can do a little bit of everything. That said, if you have a definite purpose like the one above, I'd say go for a device that will be more suited for it.

You don't need a BOB to do this stuff. You can connect a portable USB HDD directly to the EXT port on the GP2x with an appropriate cable. There is also no need to copy back and forth between the drive and the memory card because you can access and play media directly from it.

What I meant was to store a film collection on a 250GB hard drive and then have the option of choosing which films to watch when I go out. If I am in the house though, I can plug the GP2X into the TV and watch stuff directly from the hard drive.

What is the audio quality like, is it comparable to an mp3 player or a pda. I am thinking I might ditch my ipod (I use ogg files on it anyway - through something called Rockbox) and use the GP2X instead but it depends on battery life which doesn't seem to be an issue and sound quality which I am not sure of.

Thanks once again for all your help.

subcon959 posted on Feb 2 2007 at 01:57 AM said:
You don't need a BOB to do this stuff. You can connect a portable USB HDD directly to the EXT port on the GP2x with an appropriate cable. There is also no need to copy back and forth between the drive and the memory card because you can access and play media directly from it.

I personally think that the audio quality is very great, especialy with headphones, better then most mp3 players.
Its comparable to cheap onboard soundcards.

Thanks thats the final bit of info, looks like my wallet will be deceasing in weight.

Cheers, look forwards to chatting more when I have one.

Vimacs posted on Feb 2 2007 at 08:49 AM said:
I personally think that the audio quality is very great, especialy with headphones, better then most mp3 players.
Its comparable to cheap onboard soundcards.

Peter Brewer posted on Feb 2 2007 at 03:21 AM said:
What I meant was to store a film collection on a 250GB hard drive and then have the option of choosing which films to watch when I go out. If I am in the house though, I can plug the GP2X into the TV and watch stuff directly from the hard drive.

Check out these two links. Both options are described on these pages: 1. buy a USB adaptor, an enclosure, and a 3.5 hard drive or 2. buy one of Art Taylor's battery-powered laptop hard drive enclosures and a 2.5 hard drive. Looks like it might be just what you want, judging from what you've described. Let us know how you like it if you get one :) .

Edit: forgot the links!

http://www.artaylor.co.uk/gp2x/datatank.html
http://www.artaylor.co.uk/gp2x

Mmm, you can connect a USB wi fi, but you will need the source code for the driver of the chip used

Craigix, the guy that PM/emailed you from TI has libraries that can be used for writing drivers for WIFI.

Back