Hardware issues

HelenF

Very Active Member
I bought a cheap CC unit from GBAX in May. In retrospect after having seen another Pandora, I think it wasn't quite assembled straight. Anyway, the case is starting to crack up (see photos). Also the charger doesn't fit into the hole any more. I haven't dropped the unit or anything like that. If I keep using it and charge over USB, are the cracks likely to start damaging the internals? Is there likely to be anything I can do to make the case fit together better? (Since I ordered with Paypal, I was protected from the possibility of non-delivery or DOA. But I certainly wouldn't send it back for repair at this point.)

I also have a 1GHz cross-upgrade unit, ordered from ED on September 16th and shipped on the 20th. I'm mostly using this one now. As I understand it, this is from the batch of self-destructing touch screens, and if I want it to not self-destruct I should stay away from the right-hand edge. Is that right?

Currently, the 1GHz touch screen is better than the CC one. And the battery which came with the 1GHz has a much higher capacity.

Sadly, the CC unit has 2 perfect nubs, while the 1Ghz unit has a left nub that occasionally jams, and a right nub that occasionally decalibrates.

20131005_113332_crop.jpg

20131005_113513_crop.jpg

In theory, if sharp bits of plastic come loose and start rattling around inside the hinge or the case it could do some damage, but in general I'd suggest it's pretty safe to continue to use the unit even with cracks.

It doesn't look like an issue of case fit to me - just general case integrity. I wasn't aware there was that much variance in robustness between different silver cases, but mine has scratches all over it from that various times I've let it fall somewhere. No cracks yet though.

Sounds like you need an RMA for the 1GHz unit to fix the nubs & touch screen, I'd raise a ticket for this now, however I'd wait until hearing that working screens have been sourced before sending it in for repair.

I'm not sure whether the touchscreen is actually going to break, I can't really get an RMA for that until I've broken it, and I'd rather not try to break it until I can be sure of getting it fixed quickly ;)

In what way is your GHz touchscreen broken? Not sure if it changed recently, but all GHz units before that have a touchscreen that only really works with the stylus or your finger, wheras the older screens you could just prod with your finger and they'd work.

Mine isn't broken (yet). As I said, it's better than the CC one.

Units built at the same time as mine self-destructed the touchscreen when used to move a scrollbar or similar. And ED said that all 8 of the remaining unsold units were affected, so I think there's a high probability that mine will be too.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/14423-touch-panel-issue/

Last edited by a moderator:
Units built at the same time as mine self-destructed the touchscreen when used to move a scrollbar or similar. And ED said that all 8 of the remaining unsold units were affected, so I think there's a high probability that mine will be too.
It depends. If your unit has been shipped AFTER we found out about the issue (when I reported about it at the boards), then it will not have the selfdestructing screen anymore.

I'll also offer repair services for non-warranty units in the shop as well, so you could get your CC fixed.

I'll also offer repair services for non-warranty units in the shop as well, so you could get your CC fixed.
(

Sorry to post OT, but ED, could you please check the PM from me... I'm waiting for "permission" from you to me to attempt a fix I've explained in the PM (...or if not that, then a confirmation that it's time to send my CC back to your care :)

)

My 1GHz unit was shipped on the 20th, reports of the problem started on the 23rd, and you tested the last 8 units on the 26th.

Maybe I should send the CC unit in to get fixed. Since it's non-warranty, I'm thinking about trying to fix it myself, but I might just break it if I tried ;)

I'd quite like a black case for the CC, but I heard they crack more easily, so that might not be a good idea.

I'm trying to open the CC unit. The two screws underneath at the front turn easily enough, but they don't come out. (The three at the back came out OK.)

If I gently push the case apart while turning, it comes apart a little and then jumps back in again, like there's a break in the thread.

Yeah, as I've said recently in another thread. I had to drill out the two front screws in my Pandora and replace them when I first took mine apart. Seems to be a general issue with silver units that the wells the screw heads sit in are a bit tight and grip the heads, meaning you need to press your screwdriver in hard to keep it in while turning and risk stripping the threads.

The thing is, my screws weren't tight, they just don't make overall progress when turned (their progress follows a sawtooth wave pattern). Though maybe they've been abused before I got the unit.

As I understand it, this is from the batch of self-destructing touch screens, and if I want it to not self-destruct I should stay away from the right-hand edge. Is that right?
Left-hand and right-hand edge.

^Thanks for letting me know about that!

----

I got the screws out of the CC unit. They aren't broken; I think they were already unscrewed and I was just having trouble unclipping the case.

I think there's something wrong with my charger connector. The metal peg isn't in the centre of the hole, and the charger not fitting isn't because of the case at all.

There was something odd about the charger connection from the beginning, and I might have gradually damaged the case by using too much force to insert the charger...

Back